Home Technical Talk

Object grouping and joining in XSI mod tool

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kendo polycounter lvl 18
Hopefully this will be the last time i will have to beg for advice as i have ordered some of the training dvd's. As the title suggests i have 2 seperate objects but i want them both to go onto the same texture, so if anyone knows how to solve this i will be most thankful.

Replies

• iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    route I use is to create a basic flat black texture square in photoshop and then go into xsi and set it up as the texture for both items. from there make it your background in the uv editor and use the stamp uv mesh tool (under edit). save as to what you wish and use that as your base texture. shall let you align and place uv's with somewhat more ease.

or alternativly if you want them joined as one single mesh go to create-> Poly Mesh -> merge.
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    Assuming we are getting exactly what you want to do, iMag's suggestion is a good one but I'd substitute the flat black texture with your checkerboard / uv grid pattern of choice.I find NoIcon.pic (the default) hurts my brain to look at after any length of time but something with a pattern will help you see if you have stretched textures etc.

The question is a tad vague though, if that's not it post more details please.
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    well with a flat black texture it's easy to see the wires which are yellow.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I use both. My own checkerboard pattern to check distortions, and a black photoshop image to stamp it.

So the answer to kendo's questions is Merge? Say I made a vehicle with four wheels, each wheel a seperate object named appropriately, but everything has to use the same Texture Map. Would selecting all of the objects and applying a Texture Map > UV also work?
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks all for the comments, i have been using the black base texture for sometime now and i too find it most effective. Imag's merge technique was what i was looking for its so i can do the eyes for a hl2 character model.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    I tried the merge method and have realized that its still acting as 2 seperate sets of materials, what i need to do is have the second mesh ( which is the eyes btw) go onto the same sheet as the rest of the head.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    What you should do is just click the "Materials" button in the Merge Meshes dialogue, I guess.