Home Technical Talk

Attach mucks up Materal ID

Sett
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sett polycounter lvl 18
I import a mesh object into max5, assign a materal to it (multi-sub)and render -all is fine.

I attach it to another mesh, assign a materal, render is No Good.

Checked the IDs, all ok.

Any ideas?

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Can you be more specific? What do you mean by "render is No Good"? Screen shots might be helpful.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    what happens is that the uvw-s get wiped for some reason.

I fixed it by not deleting the previous mesh first.

Another weird 'feature' to make note of.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You didn't mention that you were deleting the old mesh before attaching the new one. Don't do that, the uv's get wiped. smile.gif

I've ran into that before also. Just move the old mesh off to the side before attaching the new one so that you can easily select it later and delete it. But you'd very rarely want to completely delete a mesh and replace it by using Attach. Why are you deleting the old mesh anyway?
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I deleted the mesh because I was importing a duplicate mesh from a UVW mapping prog. I needed the Name,parental link and the animation that was associated with that object.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's along the same lines of why I've done it in the past. Just attach and then delete and you should be fine. Don't know why. Maybe deleting the mesh first deletes map channel 1 along with it so that there's no map channel for the newly attached mesh to get stored in.