Home General Discussion

UT2004 installation problem

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sundance polycounter lvl 18
i try installing UT2004 from my DVD drive and it won't install. it keeps squawking that the disc isn't in the drive or may need cleaning. i have cleaned it three times and it still won't have it. i even tried copying the disc contents on to my HD. when i do that, it starts bleating it 'can't read from source', yet i have just installed it and played it on my dad's machine and i was able to install the republic commando demo from another DVD.

anyone got any bright ideas?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, your DVD drive apparently no longer works, try cleaning the lens or something.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did clean both the disc and the drive.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    It could be that you are not alone

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/sho...=dvd+read+error

i think there was a return policy at some point too, the same thing happened to me with UT2003 but 2004 came out just in time for me to just dump it.

tpe
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Same happened to me with the CD version.

UT2004 is the biggest pain in the ass to install: repeated install attempts, copying contents to the HD, installing in safe mode, nothing seems to consistently work. I still haven't been able to get it to install on my work machine.

I think it's another case of copy protection gone wrong, where the legit users [sometimes] get the short end of the stick.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    if its your drive, try instaling it over the network , i did this when i didnt have a dvd drive .... i presume thats why you are instaling it on 2 pcs , to network play it?
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, i installed it on my dad's machine merely to see if the disc was buggered, and then after playing it, removed it.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are these RAM settings that are mentioned, something i could change thru win98 or is it something i need to open up the tower to fiddle with?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Windows98???? Does UT2k4 even support it?
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me guess you have a Light-on DVD combo CDRW drive? Or maybe a HP drive? There are known issues with those drives not being able to read past the copy protection. OR you have an anti virus program running in the background normally AVG or Norton cause that kind of an issue. No one tells the nosey anti-virus the disk changed so when the disc in the drive is switched the anti-virus screams at windows about the disc, then windows screams at you.

Everyone always blames the disc's but trust me you can still get it installed, if you copy it all to your desktop and install from there. I forget the specifics you might have to make a seperate folder for each CD and name them "CD_01" or something. Or maybe it all goes in the same folder, either way it never asks for the disc again. Oh and if you can copy all the data off the CD's IE they can all be read then they are not defective and they won't replace em =(

Just for installs I keep an old Asus 52x drive. Those combo drives are good for writing but suck at reading.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a plain DVD drive, no combi. i don't even know what an HP drive is. i don't think it's AVG because i had UT2K4 installed on the old HD with AVG and it was fine.

i can't copy the DVD to my HD cos, as i said above, it keeps bleating 'can't read from source' when i do.

and it's not anything to do with disc swapping during installation cos i have the DVD and there's only one disc.