Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ben Grim AKA The Thing from Fantastic 4

After working the Emerald City Comic Con, I decided to draw something comic book-ish. In case you are not farmilar with the character it is "The Thing" or Ben Grim From the Fantastic 4. I have been working on my speed so I gave myself 3 hours and this is what I came up with, it could use some more polishing touches but I had a dead line and this is as close as I could get within that time. I used hard brushes only set to 100 opacity. I might spend more time on it and add it to my portfolio... but I am feeling kind of lazy so don't count on it =P

thing_01.jpg

Replies

• dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    suggest you take this down, or you'll have marvel on your ass...
  • Vince
    Offline / Send Message
    Vince polycounter lvl 18
    uhm, why would he?

it feels like this have been done before. but i'm looking foward to seeing this modeled and textured.
  • Jerome
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    someone made the shocker and no one got on him
  • Mark Dygert
    If they want to sick lawyers on me fine, I will be more than happy to drop the 6 marvel titles I get and I will ask my friends who have not already to dropped, to do so also. Its a sad day when companies decide to cut thier fans off at the knees. Comics are chocked full of fan art. That is all this is, fan art. I am not out to steal thier IP and make money off of it. If they want to take all 62 cents I have in the bank they are welcome to it. No need to send the lawyers, just ask. Who knows maybe they could use it to bank roll another crappy Electra flick and this time not F- it up?

Its bad enough they have pissed off millions of CoH players, but hey I guess having loyal fans who keep buying crap doesn't mean anything. Its a sound physcal plan, cut your company off from its main source of income and loyal fans, alienate those who like your product enough to spend some time creating an omage to it. WHAT A DAMN GOOD BUSSINESS PLAN!

I'M selling punches to the nuts for 2 grand who wants to be first!?
  • KevinCoyle
    Offline / Send Message
    KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
    Funny, I would have never thought this would be an issue. It's only a drawing after all.
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure that this falls under the category of "fan art" and I'm also pretty sure that Marvel isn't going after those that produce fan art. (AFAIK) It's just using their IP to make game mods that they have issue with.

I also doubt that Marvel's attorneys scour internet message boards looking for fans to sue.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I assumed dejawolf was making a sarcastic remark with regards to the marvel court case against city of heroes?
    It seems kinda silly to think they would ask one guy on a forum to take down his marvel drawing.
  • Mojo2k
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i think he was refering to the fact that marvel has contaced most mod sites (including polycount i think) and made it clear that they did not like people doing marvel skins / models for other games, which is fair i guess, it IS their property, but i seriously doubt a fandrawing would bother them, now if you made a free weekly fancomic book they may not like that.
  • jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Any artist can do a rendering of a copyrighted character with no legal backlash, as long as it is for non-commerical purposes. A guy I knew back in school did a painting of Daredevil and Batman together for his portfolio, with the added benefit that the painting could never be reproduced legally. Models are different because they can be distributed and copied for use by anyone; but nobody does that with paintings.

And if you want hard proof that drawing Marvel characters is legally okay, there's 'How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way'. Why would they publish books about how to do it if they didn't want you to?

I think what Vig wants is some CRIT ACTION. So, it's clobberin' time, ya know?

Vig, it looks like you have the rocky-orange-skin technique well in hand, but unfortunately Ben's underlying body looks like it's partially melted. You need to work on your basic figure forms. It looks like that you were trying to work really hard on making his limbs look huge and chunky, but the result is that they look bloated, and the pose looks flat. I can't tell where his left shin is at all, which makes his leg look amputated. I can't tell what position his feet are supposed to be in, either, so that makes it look like he's not supporting his own weight. Good try on making the arms forshortened, but they need some better definition of forms also.

A very good try, but you need to go back and work on the shapes that make up his body. I do recommend 'How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way', which seems to want you to draw like John Buscema, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It has some good illustrations of how the Thing is only about five or six heads tall proportionately, which is good to know.

Good luck!

/jzero