Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Everybody loves penguins!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
bear3.jpg
bearwirethumb.jpgbear4thumb.jpg

Currently at 3070 polys. I'm hoping to eventually get it into UT2k4, although I have no clue how to do that yet, and I was thinking of having the gun mounted onto what the penguin is holding on to.

Any suggestions on how I can improve it?

Replies

• motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    haha, awesome concept

think the bear has little to big feet tho. and the gun could use some more detail/shape
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    God damn, did you read my mind or something!? I was gonna model a penguin today! But it was gonna have a jetpack... heh.

This looks pretty cool, the bear's feet look too much like boots though. The penguin reminds me of the penguin from the Wallace and Gromit animations, which is not a bad thing smile.gif
    Looks like the penguin's feet and legs could use more detail though, or at least a few extra polys to make them look more natural and less box-like.

http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/farg/harry/bio/zoo/polrbear.jpg

Take a look at some more ref pics for polar bears, the feet definitely need work, they don't look natural at all at the moment. I think the "toe" area needs to be smaller, the foot generally not as long and high, and maybe modelling some claws on the end would help too.
    Some alpha planes for shaggy hair on the back of the legs might go a long way to make it look more natural, too (the hind legs look like they're made of clay to me at the moment, and just a flat fur texture won't help that enough, i think - alpha planes will be needed, in my opinion!)

Cool idea for a model though, and the meshwork is good so far. Keep it up! smile.gif

MoP
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is agreat idea I love it! But the model needs some work. The penguin heads and beaks seem to be really high poly, I would trim some polys out and put them in the bears feet. Add things like rounded toes, or claws? Also the targeter thingy has some polys that don't need to be there, the cross hairs could be done with a nice alpha chanel texture.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    i think he may have MENT to make the feet look like boots, becuase the bear IS wearing boots

though i could be wrong, laugh.gif
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.

motives: Thanks. Yea, now that you mention it the feet do kinda look big. The gun isn't really a gun, was planning on having the guns in UT2k4 sitting on top of it, so it's more of a holder. But even still, yea it could use some more details to it, I've never been very good with guns, any suggestions? I was originally thinking about having a tube going from the gun to the seat, but that doesn't really add much detail to the gun itself.

Mop: I used my awsome psychic powers to steal your ideas. Would be great to see how yours came out. Heh, we could have a little penguin army going.

I've shown this to a few other people and they've all said the same thing, that the penguin looks like the one from wallace and gromit, and that the bear looks like it has boots on. I didn't intend on copying the penguin from wallace and gromit, I just started with a basic bowling pin shape and added a beak, wings, and legs. But if it reminds people of the wrong trousers and makes them laugh even more then that's even better.

As for the feet, I had a few pictures of side shots, all of which had the bears standing in snow which made the feet look very thin and flat, and I thought it looked ridiculous when I modeled them like that so I made them a little thicker, hence the boot-like shape. Would modeling the toes fix it up a bit or do you think the shape in general is wrong?

oooo, alpha planes! Completely forgot about adding those in. Yea, I'm definitly gonna put some in for fur.

Vig: For the penguins I just started with a sphere and extruded, haven't done any optimizations yet. I was originally thinking of just using a plane for the crosshairs, but then it would be very flat looking, invisible from the side. Do you think it'd be that noticable of a difference?

DarthRevanII: Naw, wasn't intending on having the bear wearing boots, although after everyone's been saying that it looks like boots I was thinking it could be funny to texture in some gloshes or something, but right now I think it'm gonna try and get some normal feet first.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm kinda busy this weekend but I'm gonna try and see what I can do tomorrow.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    my $.02: it may be picky but i feel the bear has realistic proportions (other than his large paws) while the penguin has a cartoony figure. i think that you should choose a style and stick to it. either make the bear more toony or make the penguin more realistic. i am more towards a making the more realistic penguin, this one looks like the wallace and gromit penguin. give him some badass aviator goggles tongue.gif
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    I like this, however the penguin should have evil eyes, like that thief penguin in Wallace and Grommet or whatever it is.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey Soccerman

Nice job so far!! ive got nothing more to say in terms of crits apart whats already been said.

However I do have a suggestion for the gunsight,what you could do it make a basic cylinder,delete both ends of the cylinder then add a plane in the cylinder or 2 planes at either end,depending how ya want it....at least then you have the depth you want but also save polygons.

Keep up the good work!

John
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killing: I see what you're saying about having an odd combination of styles. I'll try changing up the penguin to make it more realistic, most of the changes will be in the head. I really like the idea of adding goggles to it.

eep: I thought that penguin just had round eyes? I'm gonna try the goggles like killing suggested, might make it more evil looking.

Bronco: That's a good idea, would add some depth and save quite a few polys.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to work on it today,and tomorrow doesn't look good, I'm going to the auto show and having people over for dinner, may have some time late tomorrow. Otherwise I'll try and get an update up on monday. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Merry Birthday, Socman!
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    lol.. Great. The pawns are weird but it doesnt matter since it's so cool.=)

/Palm
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    however the penguin should have evil eyes, like that thief penguin in Wallace and Grommet or whatever it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
    _493232_feather.jpg
    Its all in the positioning.

For the record, his name is Feathers McGraw

Looking nice Soccerman. I'd personally like to see you go less realistic with the bear rather than more so with the penguins.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Oh. Well I could've sworn there were at least a couple scenes where he had evil eyes D:
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearpenguin1w.jpg
    bearpenguin2thumb.jpgbearpenguin3thumb.jpgbearpenguin4thumb.jpg

Sorry it took a little longer than I was planning to get an update. I tried to incorprate everyone's suggestions. I think the feet look better and less boot-like, but I'm not sure about the penguin head. I like the goggles, but the rest looks weird to me. I optimised some areas, and added detail to other areas so the poly count is about 3050 right now.

Any suggestions on how to make it better?

KDR: Thanks! It was a good B-day. Went to the auto show, lot of nice looking cars there, as well as a few really ugly ones. And I got HL2 which has kept me a little preoccupied lately which is why I'm late getting back to this.

palm: Paws or pawns? If paws, do you think they look less weird now? And if pawns, what pawns?

Jackablade: Well, I was thinking about that, but killing beat ya to it so I'm trying a more realistic approach first. Plus, aside from making it into a large teddy bear, I'm not sure how to make the bear less realistic.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Much better on the paws this time around, and I like the penguin more now too. I would fix up that one intersection at the bears neck where you have like 40 bajillion lines coming from the same vert. It won't shade correctly if it bends at all in the animation. It's what we call a "fan" since all the edges are steming out from one point like in a fan. turn some of the edges or divide that point.

I would say give the bear more of a dynamic in his legs. Right now they are just stretched cylinders. I am sure that with the fur, that's what most of your reference images looked like, but go ahead and give a bit of evidence of the structure underneath in the actual leg. I'm not saying to muscle him out, but show us where the elbows and knees are at least.

Looking cool man, dig the idea.
  • NeonLeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeonLeon polycounter lvl 18
    Ever hear the Millencollin song "Penguins and Polar Bears"?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearang.jpg
    bearsidethumb.jpgbearangwthumb.jpgbearpennewwthumb.jpg

Back at 3070 polys. I put a little bit of shape into the legs. With all the fur on them you don't really see any muscles and such, but I tried to show some of the joints. Better or does it need more still? Tried to go through and cleaned up the edges, when working with quads I sometimes forget about all the invisible edges. I put some more polys into the penguin's face, the beak was looking like a cone coming out of the face, like there was no distinction between the face and the beak. So I tried to fix that, but I'm not sure if it's better or just looks weird.

Naw, never heard that song before. Any good?

On a side note, why are some edges not showing when I render them? None of the edges are invisible on the model and I see all the edges in the perspective view, but when I go to render it they don't show. I even tried a higher push value incase they were somehow hidden in the model but they still weren't showing.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks much better, especially the bear now, and I like the new look of the penguin, but you're still going way overboard on the polys for the penguin's body. It's not like it'll be deforming hugely, right? And most of the silhouette is actually coming from the chair he's sitting on - I'd half the number of segments in the body, and use those polys to give the chair he's sitting in a more interesting design. At the moment he looks like he's sitting on a box. The back of the chair is a really boring shape, I'm sure you can come up with something better for that!
    Looking good though. I don't know what's going on with the wireframe rendering though... tried converting it to an editable mesh?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penopthumb.jpgpenopwthumb.jpgpenopbackthumb.jpg

Ok, took a hundred or so polys out of the penguin, and put some of them into the chair, so it's at 2998 polys right now. I was thinking that I could use the texture to put some controls on the arm rests, but the arm rests look like dumb to me right now, so I'm gonna try and work on those. And I think that the round part that he's sitting on and the gun could use some more detail, but that'll depend on how many more polys I can take out of the penguin and other areas, and if I can think of any detail to put in. Any suggestions?

As for the rendering deal, it already is an editable mesh. I noticed that somehow when getting the model from gmax to max all the verticies got unwelded, so I rewelded them but it didn't help. hmm, I just noticed that the first wire pic has all the edges, and I used Milkshape to get it from gmax to max, the others I used lithunwrap to export the file. It shouldn't matter how it gets to max, but maybe lithunwrap does something to the file that's causing the problem.