Home General Discussion

Gigs-who have you seen LIVE?...recommended?

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
hey guys

Just wondering what bands you have seen live at gigs/festivals (download,glastonbury,Reading etc etc) and if they were any good live and if youd recommend seeing them.

Just cuiorous as I went to my first ever gig last Thursday at none other than brixton academy,London to see the German heavy metal band "Rammstein" support by a Norwegian outfit called "appocolyptica".

I can honestly reccommend them both,appoclyptica are different in that they try and bridge the gap between classical and metal music.They are a 3 piece band that play metal music and alot of covers using chellows and draft in an extra drummer when they need it (the slayer drummer does alot of work for them) but I don't think there Cds and audio do them justice and really need to be seen LIVE to get the full effect and appreciation they desever.

Rammstein was amazing.....just for the pyrotechnics as seen in Triple XXX and on MTV...Lots of flamethrowers,fireworks and sparks but the tunes of there songs are great to mosh too,me and my mates missed the moshpit but got a position of best sound quality by standing up against the mixing desks right in the middle...despite being so far back the heat from the flame masks and throwers was absolutily intense,can't imagine what it felt like for the band members who did a solide 2 hour set,my other mates went the night after and did get into the moshpit....the security guards apprently spend the time chucking water over the crowd....

But if ya ever get a chance make sure you check them out though smile.gif.It was my first gig so i couldn't compare but my mates who have been to 12 or so gigs said it was easyily the best gig they have been to yet.

So,Any other recommendations?

John

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen Metallica a couple times and thought they were a bit overrated in live performance. I've seen Megadeth twice and they rocked, just stright up heavy metal ass kicking. I've seen Rob Zombie twice, and his shows were amazing productions. I've seen KoRn once, but wasn't really into their music at the time and didn't quite appreciate it - interesting, though. I've seen Pearl Jam once, and would go again in an instant if they played a venue without mandatory seating. I've seen Static-X, and they were the hardcore kind of loud that makes you worry your ears are bleeding - great pit at that show as well. I've seen Pantera once, but Dime is dead now. I've seen Alice In Chains once (best concert performance I have ever seen), but Layne is dead now. I've see Rage Against The Machine once, but Zach apparently hates a good thing so they're off the list now, too.

That's pretty much everything I'm willing to admit to smile.gif
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Ozzy - 6 times
    - 5 OZZfests with other bands such as Slayer, Judas Priest, Rob Zombie, Mariyn Manson, Union Underground, Korn (*groan*), Pantera, Godsmack, Methods of Mayhem (*groan) and more!

Aerosmith
    Def Leppard
    Bon Jovi
    AC/DC (worst band EVER opened for them, Slash's Snake Pit)
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    ZZ Top
    CKY

Also went to We Fest where many country acts performed. I think I only saw one the whole way through, I had drinking to do.

I think that's all.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen Tool, Primus, and Meshuggah (opening for Tool). I would recommend seeing Tool if you like their music; they sound AMAZING live. The atmosphere of both Tool concerts I've been to were pretty cool, you'll meet all sorts of interesting people. I was actually surprised how diverse Tool fans are.

And I definitely recommend seeing Primus if you get the chance, even if you don't like their music. When you hear them live, you can literally feel the music through the thumping bass. In fact, you can feel it more than you can hear it, and that's when I truly started to appreciate their music (I wasn't a very big fan before I saw them live). There were probably 600-800 people packed in a very small room, and the whole experience was very dynamic. The crowd moved in waves like a sea of people, and you had no choice but to 'go with the flow' (it was standing-room only, and we were packed so tightly that when the person behind you took a step forward, you would be pushed into the person in front of you, and so forth like dominos). It was actually quite a workout.

I can't recommend Meshuggah. I'm not exactly a fan, but I've heard Rational Gaze and think it's a pretty awesome song, but when I saw them live they sounded like shit (drums were awesome, and bass sounded good, but vocals and guitar were terrible). To be fair, it wasn't their concert, they might sound better in their own show.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    2 bands i was most impressed with live were Tool (of course...) Incubus and Audioslave....
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Out of everything, I'd say Lamb of God and Slipknot, and they both happen to be in the Subliminal Verses tour here in San Antonio in March...

AHHH I CAN'T WAIT TO MOSH!

And although I don't like Linkin Park really, they had a kick ass show. One summer me and a friend wanted to mosh pretty badly, and the only thing coming was Warped Tour. We don't like punk music, but we went anyway (we get in free, might as well go). Surprisingly, some of them weren't half bad live. I think the best pits were Floggin Molly and the Casualties.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    saw rolling stones during their Bridges to Babylon tour.. kicked ass..
    saw Metallica a few years back.. was absolutely lame.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, when I saw Metallica a few years back they sounded ok but it wasn't a great gig. Get the S&M DVD if you don't have it already, one of the best concerts/gigs ever, Hetfield's voice is perfect and the orchestra totally lifts the songs... great stuff.

Foo Fighters were pretty good live... Dave Grohl is excellent at audience interaction smile.gif

Dream Theater are an excellent band to see live, they have been known to cover entire albums after finishing their own sets... plus they're some of the greatest musicians to grace this planet wink.gif

I've heard Bon Jovi gigs are excellent - huge crowds, great atmosphere etc... never been to one though.

I'd really like to see Primus play live... Les Claypool rules!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Shows I recommend:
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones (seen them 7 times at least): Great show, LOADS of energy, lots of fun. (this may have changed with their more recent and less spectacular albums. I saw them several years ago).

Flogging Molly: Drink, dance, repeat.

Samiam: old punk rock band, don't even really think they tour anymore, but they rock the fucking house.

NOFX: GO SEE THIS BAND. These guys are such amazing entertainers, great musicians and the shows are loads of fun. El Heffe doing voice impressions is worth the low cost of admission. =D

Barenaked Ladies: (seen these guys 6 times as well) once again, amazing all-around performers. I still go see them whenever they come near. Their improv stuff is what makes it.

Tool or A Perfect Circle: Wow. All I can say to describe it.

Lagwagon: Another great live punk band filled with fun.

I didn't see Primus, but I did see Les Claypool and the Frog Brigade and they were rockin' as previously stated. Les Claypool is amazing on stage. Be sure to see them in a smaller venue, not a stadium. Of course, that goes for most shows, for me. Big venues suck. =P

There's more...those are just some of the most memorable. Well, that and the time a friend of mine gave a Pez to Angelo Moore of Fishbone as he passed through the crowd before their show started. =D
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Static-X (2 times, once just after their first album release)
    Godsmack (2 times)
    Slayer (dancing strippers on stage = good)
    Primus w/ Buckethead (funniest show ever! "anyone here speak Icelandic? Me neither!")
    Pantera (that one hurt)
    Powerman5000
    System of a Down (2 times)
    Kittie
    KidRock (worst show ever!)
    Deftones (lame)
    Black Sabbath
    Rob Zombie
    Korn (probably the best live band atm)
    Metallica (before Jason left, great musical experience, the whole crowd sang along to Battery)

bands I'm dying to see...

Rammstein
    Megadeth
    Soilwork
    Meshuggah

oh and Flogging Molly
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, Kub... I missed NOFX when they played up in Newcastle last year - silly of me! I think my brother might have seen that one though... they rule.
    I'd love to see A Perfect Circle live, too, since they're one of my favourite bands. I don't even know if they've ever done any gigs in the UK though.
    Barenaked Ladies would be fun too, I dig their music smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The best 3 gigs I have ever seen in order:
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Therapy?
    Snow Patrol

2 of the worst gigs I ever been to :
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Therapy?

Some nights bands have it, sometimes they don't.

Recently I saw Sons and Daughters, Nick Cave, Lars and the Bastards and Hayseed Dixie. I can recommend every one.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Static-X (2 times, once just after their first album release)
    Godsmack (2 times)
    Slayer (dancing strippers on stage = good)
    Primus w/ Buckethead (funniest show ever! "anyone here speak Icelandic? Me neither!")
    Pantera (that one hurt)
    Powerman5000
    System of a Down (2 times)
    Kittie
    KidRock (worst show ever!)
    Deftones (lame)
    Black Sabbath
    Rob Zombie
    Korn (probably the best live band atm)
    Metallica (before Jason left, great musical experience, the whole crowd sang along to Battery)

bands I'm dying to see...

Rammstein
    Megadeth
    Soilwork
    Meshuggah

oh and Flogging Molly

[/ QUOTE ]

them are some good bands...

I think I would trade an arm to see Pantera live frown.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw Pantera live back in 95/95ish, they were awful that day.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You saw Stiff Little Fingers, Rick?! bastard.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Lynyrd Skynyrd

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG nerd groupie, you are so lucky. they only hardly ever tour through new york or the tri-state area. if they did i'd totally go.
  • DamienB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DamienB polycounter lvl 18
    If you could go back in time I would say G.G.Allin.
    gg21.jpg

Or MojoNixon.
    thebird.jpg
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'm going to see Flogging Molly, for like the 4th time, and they're always outstanding. But here's my rundown:

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Fun as hell to see live. Always.
    Nirvana: Make sure to see Kurt live if you can! Ooops. Great show, incidentally.
    Exodus: Just straight up head banging. Loud and fast.
    Pearl Jam: Pretty good, but better if you are in the right mood.
    Smashing Pumpkins: Frigging terrible. Billy C had a bad attitude, and treated the crowd like a bunch of idiotic sheep. He taunted them by playing "Mary had a little lamb", which was a taunt and an old Beatles reference.
    Primus: Very interesting and entertaining.
    Misfits: Quite bad acutally.
    Suicide Machines: Outstanding high energy punk/ska/skatepunk. Very good shows.
    Casualties: Hardcore streetpunk. Very good energy, that is, if you like aggressive energy.
    Living Colour: Outstanding musicians. These guys were way under-rated.
    Beck: This dude is an amazing musician, and plays like 7 instruments over the course of a show.
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Very fun every time I see them. Very Skankable and drinkable.
    Flogging Molly: Makes you want to drink and dance.
    Modest Mouse: These guys play a good show, but have the annoying tendency of playing the really slow stuff at the end of the show, which just about puts me to sleep after having had a few pints.
    Rage Against the Machine: Amazing. Morello is sick with the guitar.

But my all time favorite is:

Dropkick Murphys: Oi streetpunk at it's best. Great sing-alongs, and they always bring people up on stage. By far and away the winners for energy and crowd participation. And who couldn't love a punk rock band that has a bagpiper?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've seen a few, although Im not really into live music, but I'd see these again:

Aerosmith
    Spinal Tap
    Steve Miller Band
    Static-X
    David Byrne(talking heads)
    Pearl Jam

Want to see:
    Beck
    David Bowie
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    argh , ive never been to see anyone famous live (at least when they were famous)
    allthough i was too lazy to go see radio head once(about the time KidA came out) i had tickets and everything ...
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, I've seen a variety of groups play, but thay are:

Dog Fashion Disco x3
    Skinny Puppy
    Tweaker
    Opeth
    Porcupine Tree
    Dark Tranquility
    Type O Negative
    Lacuna Coil
    Killswitch Engage
    Bile
    Pig
    Zeromancer
    Deadsy
    Misfits
    Mindless Self Indulgence (Nothing like watching an on-stage butt rape!)
    Lollipop Lust Kill
    Chimira
    Godsmack
    Adema (sucked ass)
    and about 30 other local bands...

Although I havn't been to too many shows as of late.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    @NeoGod: Something tells me you listen to http://chronixradio.com/

If not, you should be.

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I would trade an arm to see Pantera live frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You would lose an arm from seeing Pantera live. Especially during "Becoming". I've never seen a whole entire crowd form a moshpit so quickly in my life. It's a shame Phil's a dick, and Dime is dead. I would have loved to see Damageplan live.
  • Deimos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm...so many...i'll try to remember as many as I can:

*Slipknot (2x indoor, 2x festival)...awesome stage show
    *Slayer (1x indoor, 1x festival)...one of the bests pits ever
    *Megadeth 2x ...you just missed out Bronco...these guys played the other day and were awesome
    *Lamb Of God ...Great live band, and really great guys (I met them all outside the gig smile.gif )
    *Chimaira ...2 words..."Metal Moses" smile.gif
    *Shadows Fall ...another NWOAHM band like Chimaira, Killswith etc.
    *Nevermore \m/
    *Arch Enemy 2x ...the second show was filmed for their DVD
    *The Haunted ...i've really been getting into these guys recently...awesome Swedish thrash
    *Dark Tranquillity 2x (first was in Highbury Garage...very close personal gig)
    *In Flames 2x ...they've mellowed in recent years unfortunately, but they still play a few of their older, heavier songs
    *Killswitch Engage ...new singer, but still great
    *Linkin Park ...when they first emerged, before all the remix cds and joint cds with hip hop idiots
    *Damageplan ...you won't be seeing these guys...a shame since they were awesome...they played Pantera's "Walk" too
    *Metallica ...OK but I second the overrated comment
    *Diamond Head 2x ...good old school heavy metal, much heavier than their cds suggest
    *Blind Guardian ...fantastic technical ability, but a bit cheesy (I guess you need to like power metal to like these guys)
    *Gamma Ray ...see Blind Guardian
    *Iced Earth ...these guys have only played one gig in the UK in 18 years...I was there, they played for THREE HOURS and were awesome
    *Iron Maiden 2x ...Classic metal and a must-see live band
    *Korn ...a reasonable show, but their recent cds have been so-so
    *Limp Bizkit ...I saw these guys before they completely sold out, and even met Durst...their last few cds sucked and they keep cancelling all their UK shows anyway so I wouldn't bother
    *Foo Fighters 2x ...saw these guys at festivals...not really a fan but they were ok
    *RATM ...a reasonable show...their last UK festival performance
    *Cannibal Corpse ...great show, but an aquired taste (ie not everyone will like them like I do)
    *Gorerotted ...as above
    *Kataklysm ...Canadian melo-death...so good I bought a bunch of their cds straight after their set
    *Hatebreed ...nice violent hardcore pit...'nuff said
    *Throwdown ...as above (and they covered Sepultura's "Roots Bloody Roots" smile.gif )
    *Machinehead ... \m/
    *Godsmack ...a great show with lasers smile.gif
    *Soilwork ...more Swedish death metal smile.gif
    *Devil Driver ...they were ok, but I prefer Coal Chamber
    *Papa Roach ...saw them on the tour for their first cd which was ok...their last 2 cds sucked...
    *Symphony X ...very good technical metal, if a bit cheesy
    *Stratovarius ...as above
    *Slash's Snakepit ...not a big fan, but they played some G'N'R and I was in touching distance of Slash
    *The Vandals ...very amusing punk band
    *The Ataris ...a bit emo-ish but some great punk songs
    *Blink 182 ...early stuff is good, and they can be funny sometimes
    *The Offspring ...early stuff is great Florida-style punk
    *One Minute Silence ...they supported Slipknot the first time I saw them...can't really remember much of their stuff though
    *Less Than Jake ...not a big ska-punk fan...a few ok songs and firebreathers, even in the tiny Astoria
    *AFI ...recent stuff is pure pop-shite but earlier stuff was ok...made a decent support band for The Offspring
    *Bon Jovi ...ew...one of my mates dragged me to this
    *Placebo ...not really a fan, but some songs were ok
    *Toploader ...ew...support for Bon Jovi
    *Stereophonics ...saw these guys at a festival...some stuff was ok, most sucked...as did them bringing Tom Jones out to sing a duet...
    *Breed 77 ...opened the final day of Download last year...i'm not sure how to classify them...metal meets spanish guitar...I like them...
    *Funeral For A Friend ...terrible Welsh emo...why Iron Maiden took them on tour I don't know ("thank you London, you guys rock"...well *they* sucked)

And like a million other bands that I don't really care about/remember that I saw at festivals or as support bands...
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Saw the Ramones once years ago. Glad I got to see them alive before Joey kicked the bucket.

Just saw the Beastie Boys a couple of weeks ago and they were great. Just bought tickets for System of a Down. The show is not until June but that should be good fun.

NoFX is great live for what bearkub said.

Every time that the Supersuckers come to the country I try to catch every show of them. They kick ass live! Saw them once together with the Dwarves and Reverend Horton Heat. Good times!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow,thats cool guys...
    when im not so tired and drunk (just walked in from a pub on disco night) ill make a list and see whats going on...

I asked becuase the problem with me is im not a fan as such of many bands...I just hear odd songs of odd bands,decide wether i like them,then download another track or 2 if I like those then ill go and buy an album....but that happens pretty rarily as the couple of songs I download I don't like so end up sticking to just the single song I liked if taht make sense.

Anyway...

I do have all the major maiden albums as well as the Rock in Rio DVD,which was sweet...love to see them live.

I like a good number of Foo fighters songs as well as Linkin park songs and have bought there last live album.

Apart from those the rest are just random songs I hear at parties and when im chilling at mates house or what ever (one of my mates has 5ft speakers in his living room so we sit there on most weekends sipping beer and listening to very loud music of verious kinds.)....

Neo-god:- im surprised adema sucked live,they are another band whose songs I like alot and had wanted to see them.

John
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lkraan: Haha, yeah, my brother saw the Supersuckers live a few years back, he said their live show kicked ass. They fool around a lot and do a lot of improv... fun stuff!
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I recommend going to any concert the drinking at the bar instead of watching them play, its what all the cool people do.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Time to reminisce.

I saw the original GWAR show back oh, 15 freaking years ago. OMFGWTFH!!! Okay, you know what would happen if Jim Henson and S. Clay Wilson had dropped acid while listening to Black Sabbath? GWAR. Mind-bendingly funny. And this was the old days, when the lead guy had the hydraulic penis that extended to 2 feet long and blew fake cum on the audience. After they had beheaded and dismembered a dozen or so other puppets, which sprayed fake blood on the audience. And you know what? The band wasn't too bad,either. I literally could not believe my eyes. I still don't.

Also, years ago, I got to see Einsturzende Neubauten. That was an excellent show, simultaneously all the way out there, while firmly grounded in classical musical professionalism.

I haven't seen any of that other modern stuff, that 'roll and rock' stuff the kids are into. Too many guitars.

/jzero
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie may i remind you that im not on the high wage pay-roll of Splash damages's books here smile.gif...

I am an 18year old currently working at CO-OP for 5quid an hour....therefore im not someone that can afford to pay anything between 15-50quid to see a gig then sit at bar that charges over 3quid a pint smile.gif.

john
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Well bronco, I suppose it didn't help that I wasn't a Adema fan to begin with, but they opened for Godsmack that night. Their show was so lame at best , I mean the lead singer kept telling everyone to "Jump up! Jump up!" I was expecting him to break into some House of Pain at any second.

And Elysium, rarely listen to those internet radio things. I barely listen to the normal radio too, haha.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    let's shows i've seen:

*Billy Ray Cyrus - it was a free show and we went with some family friends to see it. i was probably 10 or so tongue.gif
    *New Radicals who opened for the GooGoo Dolls, they broke up about a year later.
    *GooGoo Dolls on their Dizzy Up the Girl tour. decent show although i couldn't see the middle of the stage due to a speaker being in the way. the show was at our college and there was nothing better to do so we went.
    *Stroke 9, 9 Days, Dexter Freebish an ok show and we had seats a few rows from the stage thanks to a friend who worked in the student center selling the tickets. smile.gif
    *Blessed Union of Souls also at our college. only a few dozen people showed up, so everyone had floor seats.

/me wins the 'lamest shows evar!' award! tongue.gif
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Soul Asylum
    Husker Du
    GBH
    Red Hot Chili Peppers [they were nude with socks on their cocks]
    Circle Jerks
    Fugazi
    The Dwarves
    The Accused
    Megadeth
    DRI
    NOFX
    Skanking Pickle
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Exploited
    Slayer [reign in blood tour, suck it down new age dirty metal]
    Motorhead
    Exodus
    Fishbone
    Nine Inch Nails
    Skinny Puppy
    Front Line Assembly
    Tool
    Front 242
    Jane's Addiction
    Bosstones
    Bad Religion
    Pink Floyd
    Kiss
    Ratt
    Whitesnake
    Lita Ford
    White Lion
    Frehley's Comet
    Vinnie Vincent Invasion
    Guns and Roses
    Gwar
    Tesco Vee's Hate Police
    Mentors
    AC/DC
    Metallica
    Aerosmith
    Def Leppard
    Queensryche
    Great White
    Ozzy
    Anthrax
    Duran Duran
    Motley Crue
    L7
    Gorilla Biscuits
    Green Day
    KFMDM
    Zero Boys
    Danzig
    Naked Raygun
    Beastie Boys
    Orbital
    Samiam
    Hole
    Sasha and Digweed
    Chemical Brothers
    Crystal Method
    Voodoo Glowskulls
    Negitivland
    Paul Oakenfold

That's all the falls off the top of my head. There was lots more, but I think you get the general gist.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Man I envy you guys. So many I need to see.

Oh, and I forgot Weird Al. Sorry 3D Guy. wink.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    Smashing pumpkins
    GWAR (3 times)
    less than jake (like 3 dozen times, home town band)
    david bowie
    wayne newton
    southern culture on the skids
    helmet
    Elastica
    Busta Rhymes
    Atom and his package
    TOM FUCKING JONES!Q@!@!@!!!!
    and i'm not proud of this, but i did see static x
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I can't remember all of them off the top of my head (happens when you goto shows where 4+ bands play, and Ozzfest there's over a dozen).

-Ozzie and Black Sabbath are great live, but he IS Ozzy, nuff said.
    -In Flames was one of the best bands I've seen live, particularly when they're headlining, and particularly in small Seattle clubs.
    -Blind Guardian, again, best seen in small clubs, from what I'm told they fill stadiums in Europe.
    -Children of Bodom
    -Judas Priest (ozzfest)

Haven't seen anything since Ozzfest this past July, going to see Duran Duran and Slipknot with buddies and girlfriend (personally, not a huge fan of either, but concerts are fun events to goto with friends anyways).
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    only guy i have missed seeing live that i wanna see is marylin manson.

ive see:

rammstien -5 good show, my first show i ever saw
    korn -6 good show, even tho its the last on my list
    live -3 very good live, go figure *wink*
    stained 4-very good too, but didnt know all the songs so
    Nine inche nails 2-next best
    Green Day 1-best show

almost forgot tool. I didnt enjoy that concert. I did go with this bicth that i didnt like after that concert so...that's prolly why
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kub - yeah, I saw SLF a few times - there were also playing Edinburgh a wee while ago, but I had a party to go to. Like I said, one time they blew me away, and the second time they were dire.

The time they were great was just a few nights after Shane Magowen and the Popes were awful.

I'm not going to list everyone I've seen, cos with all the festivals it would take me about a week to remember.

I'm just going to miss seeing Ludovico Einaudi this week because we are moving house.

We are going to see a bunch of opera in Venice soon though.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    U2 (still good live, just try and see them after they've 'warmed up' a little touring.. saw them at a beginning of a tour and it was a little less energetic than i had hoped)

The Frames - very good live, excellent energy and presentation. excellent choice of covers as well.

Damien Rice - excellent live (wait for him to play the spaceship bit!), but don't go see him at a venue with a bar or anything that is prone to having a noisy crowd, he's a bit temperamental about crowds talking during the quiet songs.

Chemical Brothers - also good live show, saw them with kub and r13 smile.gif

Zwan - great show live, too bad they don't exist anymore frown.gif

Queens of the Stone Age - did not disappoint live either. loud and rockin'.

Garbage - they opened for U2 when i saw them and frankly played a better show than U2, even with a crowd that wasn't even really interested in them. Shirley Manson sounds just as good live if not better than she does on the albums.

They Might Be Giants - if you're a fan, obviously worth seeing live. Very entertaining.

Jon Brion - plays every friday night in a club in LA. a brilliant live performance that is in a small club atmosphere... basically one of the most enjoyable shows i've ever seen.

Wilco - incredible live show, two encores (which is to say a real encore i guess smile.gif )... there are several of their songs that are transformed when played live, if you're a fan it is not to be missed.
  • Redlemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redlemons polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, so much kill-death-kill-satan metal!

I haven't seen very many, seen some at festivals and some at concerts:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds twice
    Guttermouth
    The Darkness
    Metallica
    The Strokes
    Kings of Leon
    Dashboard Confessional
    Pilot to Gunner
    The Butterfly Effect
    The Mars Volta
    Thursday

The best were Nick Cave and Thursday by far.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Well...

Slayer, probably still my favorite to see live, seen them 4 or 5 times now and have met every band member past and present
    Fear Factory
    Morbid Angel, Domination tour before Dave Vincent left the band
    Napalm Death
    Death
    King Diamond
    Bile
    Megadeth
    Metallica, touring for the Black album with Danzig opening tongue.gif
    White Zombie
    Rob Zombie
    Sytem of a Down
    Static-X
    Black Sabbath
    Gwar
    Ramones
    Grip Inc.
    Walls of Jericho
    Mushroomhead
    Korn
    Sepultura, before Max Cavalera left the band, touring for Chaos A.D.
    Biohazard
    Machine Head, their first tour, fucking awesome
    Marilyn Manson
    Hanzel Und Gretel
    Mastadon
    Dope
    Testament, don't like 'em but I've seen them live
    Corrosion of Conformity, got real bored at this show tongue.gif, only went cause my friend had extra tickets and I wasn't doing anything anyway
    Shitload of other bands I can't remember right now.

In all I've probably been to 50 or 60 concerts in my life. Between the ages of 16-21 I was going to one nearly once a month. Now I see maybe 2 or 3 a year.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I've probably forgotten twice as many as I can remember:

Stray Cats (1st show at 13 years old)
    Def Leppard
    Billy Squire
    Loverboy
    Night Ranger
    Berlin
    Beastie Boys (4x)
    Run DMC
    Public Enemy
    Too Short
    NIN (2x)
    Nick Cave
    Guns N Roses
    Metallica
    Soundgarden
    The Cure
    Depeche Mode
    Quicksand
    Above the Law
    Ten Foot Pole
    Samiam
    Green Day
    AC/DC
    Bad Religion
    Skatalites
    New Bomb Turks
    Tilt
    Voodoo Glow Skulls
    Circle Jerks
    Pegboy (2x)
    Rancid (2x)
    Bosstones (2+ X)
    Sonic Youth
    Lars and the Bastards
    NOFX
    Face to Face
    Lavay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers
    Southern Culture on the Skids
    The Dwarves
    The Reverend Horton Heat
    Flametrick Subs
    Groovie Ghoulies
    Seaweed
    The Business (3x)
    Anti Heroes
    Hell's Belles
    Barnyard Ballers
    Deadbolt (3x never, ever pass up a chance to see these guys live)
    The Epoxies
    Detroit Cobras
    Swingin' Utters
    David Bowie (2x)
    Ghoultown
    Agent Orange
    Tiger Army (5+ X)
    Nekromantix
    Social Distortion
    Electric Frankenstein

edit: remembered more
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, AZ! that is one impressive list! and you saw pegboy! BASTARD!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    heh, twice actually. Just remembered I saw them once in 1995 when I first moved back to Portland and then again sometime in the late 1990s on the last tour before they broke up.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    These will certainly show my age:

ZZ top
    Night Ranger
    Journey x2
    REO Speedwagen
    ASIA
    Ratt
    Judas Preist
    AC/DC
    Motley Crue
    U2 x2
    Depeche Mode x2
    Duran Duran
    Erasure
    OMD
    Cure
    Howard Jones
    Gin Blossoms (every sat. night when they were known as the DelMonte's)
    and others I was too stoned to remember.. (contact high)

One's I'd like to forget:

Mili Vanili
    Donny Osmond (dont ask)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Only live concert I've ever seen is Amy Grant.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    whoa, thermidor, you should slap yourself for not seeing radiohead!!! damn i would kill or severly maim to see them live...or maybe just a hardy slap, you know video game violence and all