Home Technical Talk

Doom 3 Texturing (modding) help?

JonE
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JonE polycounter lvl 18
Hi, I was on these message boards (well not these, but the old ones) along time ago. I just want to say the new ones are look good.

Ok well now to the main point of this thread. I’m going to start a mod for Doom 3 with a friend soon. It will be our first mod so I know we’ll need help down the line, but In the mean time I want to do some experimenting with textures and such. Though I am having trouble with getting the custom textures I the done into the game. I’m not to sure if I’m packing them in the pk4 file(s) correctly or am I doing something wrong in the texture creating/saving its self. I know that you have to have the textures formatted in .dds format when you are playing doom 3 set at a lower resolution and .tga for ultra settings. So I downloaded the .dds Photoshop plug-in from nvidia.

Oh yeah I’m using Photoshop CS for this.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

I got the original textures from pak001.pk4/dds/models/chacaters/player and brought them into Photoshop

Then when I save the texture in the .dds format I have it set at …

Save Format = DXT1 ARGB (1 bit Alpha) 2D texture
MIP Map Generation = Generate MIP images 11

Then it is saved.

After that I us WinZip to compress the flies in the same file structure as I found the original files and compress them in a pk4 format named testmod.pk4. Then I place the .pk4 file in a folder in main Doom3 File on my hard drive. Then when I start the game I go into the mods section and start the test mod I just created.

This texture mod is just a simple test were I change the textures on the player model giving him a marine “high and dry” cut, also I’ve changing the color of his uniform. Then I watch the opening cut-scene and the playing the game in third person mode until you get your gear (and actually start the game). All the time not seeing the changes I have made. I know I have done something wrong somewhere or else I would have seen the changes.

Do I need to have both .dds and .tga in the mod for it to work correctly? If so how do you pack both the .tga and. .dds files in different .pk4 files or just one big .pk4 file? Do you need to have multiple .pk4 files in the mod? (That last question is relevant to any thing you do with the mod really).

I have done some textures for both Quake 2 and 3 so I’m not a complete newbie at this.

Any help would be helpful at this point. Even it there was a “Modding Doom 3 for Dummies” Tutorial out there hehe:)

Thanks for your help everone!!

Replies