Home General Discussion

short-sighted heavy computer users glaucoma risk

NoSeRider
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/17/computer_glaucoma/

Oh Shit! I'm getting fat and pail and blind?

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.....

Replies

• Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    OOh crap ... maybe i should have been a plumber.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    If I'm getting fat and pale.......maybe I don't want to see it (>_<)
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    This is that same Japanese study that was talked about 2 months ago.

I spoke to my eye doctor about it on my last visit a few weeks ago. She said the study was a load of crap, and that it's impossible for eye stress to cause glaucoma.

I was concerned about that study, so I did some research on glaucoma, and I have to concur with the doctor. Glaucoma is caused by little drainage ducts in your eye getting blocked, and causing pressure in the eye to build up, and damaging the nerve physically.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man would you guys stop typing to sooo tiny I can hardly read what is on the scree....

On the serious side my eye sight has been getting better each time I go to the eye Dr. It seems to happen in my family, eye sight gets worse until early 20's then slowly switches from near to far sightedness, in that time appearing to get better. I do try to take care of my eyes by taking breaks every hour at least to look out the window and focus on something far away. I also stopped wearing contacts about a year ago, except on the odd occasion. I also have small lights behind the computer monitors so the screen is not the only thing being burned into the backs of my eyes.

Oh and about the study, they breath AIR also that must be the TRUE cause of the problems!!! DAMN YOU OXYGEN!!!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    load of crap. never take anything from Japan seriously. that's what I've learned.

glaucoma can be caused be a number of diseases that affect the eye, also a prior injury. those who already have a visual impairment may also develope this. visual impairment means a "vision defect" that cannnot be corrected with glasses, contacts, or surgery. I often runs in the family. So if you have a vision impairment, you shouldn't be stuck in front of a computer all day long anyway. In anycase, just take breaks. Too much of anything is bad for you.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    glaucoma=perscription weed!!
    No but seriously, I went to the optomotrist day before yesterday, I was actually gonna start a thread, But Im gonna need glasses. I can see things far away just fine, but when Im at the computer my eyes go all cross-eyed and hard to focus. It's a good thing my work covers that crap.