Home Technical Talk

UT2004 Polygon limit.

KevinCoyle
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
What is a good target polycount these days for a UT2004 player model? I've mostly worked with 2000 to 4000 polygons. I imagine with the newer graphics cards out there alot more could be added. Just curious as to what I should shoot for these days

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    well, bearing in mind that the out-of-the-box characters are between 1500-2000 triangles mostly, I think between 2000-4000 is a fair target to shoot for. Anything more than 4000-5000 and you might start alienating people who don't have the latest hardware.
    I guess you could get away with anything up to 8000 or even more if you didn't care about people with older hardware, though.
    Don't take my word for it though, I haven't made any player models since Q3 laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    8000?! oh the possibilities. I often wonder the same question about Q3.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Read up on the specs at www.unrealtechnologies.com

Unreal Engine for 2003/4 doesn't have a hard-coded limit on polygons and bones, and 4 weight limit per vertex.

I'd shoot for 4,000-5,000 if you want to be cutting edge and still keep the game playable. You could probably have more fun applying complex shaders, sync'd sound effects, and particle emitters to your model though.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    4k - 5k tris?

i never know what ppl are talking about when they refer to polys ...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    My old Radeon 8500 didn't complain about several 17k models running around.

Therm: Well, considering nobody cares about the number of ngons used in a model polycount is just an alias for tricount.