Home General Discussion

career search advice..

zebra
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
zebra polycounter lvl 18
I have really been trying to get my artwork under people's noses. I havn't been successful at getting many contact names for the companies. Can someone tell me
1) if demo folders sent like "attn: art department" go straight to the trash?
2) if there is no phone number listed and the email is auto response, how do you find out if they got your stuff?
3) What do I need to improve on or change in my portfolio http://www.brandondbahr.com to make it great instead of mediocre?

if anybody has some advice for 1 or all 3 questions I'd appreciate.
thanks,
Zebra

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe go to IGDA meetings in your area? Alot of people to schmoose (sp? ha!) with there.

http://www.igda.org/chapters/

Post alot of stuff and give useful critiques here to become better friends with people, and such. Probably some useful contacts here.

For making your portfolio better, the best thing to do is to pratice more, get feedback, and work hard. Yadda yadda yadda. I liked alot of your sketches. They had character and a nice look. Maybe try and show you can do some life sketches, or something?

Anyways. I know it wasn't much, but hopefully that could help you a bit.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Im gonna say this Simon Cowell style : Your character portoflio as vastly sub-par at the moment . I can see that you have learned to use the hardware but you need to apply the proper artistic vision to your work . For example SOUL who is a character artist for EA has nothing but excellent work in his portfolio so he is a good example to look at as are many others such as DAZ,BOBO and Strangefate. Im not good at telling people how they need to improve there art but I can say that you need to practice drawing and pianting a lot . Especially characters if that's what you want to do .

Your work should look on par with that of the Unreal 3.0 technology , well that should be your goal . Your competing against other pros for work so you have to stand out in a pile of portfolio's .

Aim for this
    character_creation3.jpg