polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
tpe polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that's a shame. Deus Ex is still one of my favourite games. That said, I didn't think much of the sequel...
    Anyway judging by Eidos' statement, it seems like they're keeping one studio and scaling up the workforce there, rather than splitting resources between two smaller studios, so maybe some of the Ion Storm people will end up at Eidos' other place?
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    So much was expected from this company, I don't know how they could have lived up to the hype. John Romero and Daikatana were suupposed to be the second coming of gaming. If it wasn't for Warren Spector coming up with Dues Ex, the company probably would have folded long ago.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    damn, another good studio bites the dust, best of luck to those that were there, i'm sure they'll have no problems finding work
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, sounds like this had been coming for a long time.

Anybody see that Atari also closed down two of their studios?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    damn, another good studio bites the dust, best of luck to those that were there, i'm sure they'll have no problems finding work

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about "good studio" wink.gif

Hey, I loved Thief3 and DuesEx, but in my eyes, the name Ion Storm will always be cursed by Daikatana. They should have changed their name when Romero left wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Daikatana was by Ion Storm Dallas, not Austin.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Wow a lot of lay offs and companys closing the last couple months . I thought it was going to be total opposite with the next gen stuff coming out and starting development .
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    So why hasn't 3d Realms died yet? Where are they getting their continued funding for Duke Nukem Forever from? Are they secretly developing a Metal Gear under the black budget or what?

poly111.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    they're collecting money from all the pre-orders that were made years ago
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So why hasn't 3d Realms died yet? Where are they getting their continued funding for Duke Nukem Forever from? Are they secretly developing a Metal Gear under the black budget or what?

poly111.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they're funding is coming from the first Duke Nukem games as well as from "fostering" smaller companies like Remedy (Max Payne).
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    a lot of the upper management of ION jumped a while ago to the new Midway studio here in town. At the time of closure, about 15 people were left and all of them had no illusions that the place was going to be close for at least the last 6 months. Most of them will probably be absorbed by Midway or another spin off lead by another management type from ION. as far as i've heard most of the guys have options.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Crystal Dynamics is the studio thats suriving, and presumably taking up any left over workers. Given they now have the rights on Tomb Raider, perhaps the next iteration of that series will be somewhat more impressive than the last 4-5 (how many has there been now?) games.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    jack: agreed. best wishes to crystal dynamics to resuscitating a franchise that has consistently underperformed for a while now.