Home General Discussion

poor customer service- emo content-ish.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sundance polycounter lvl 18
okay, so i just had a new 120GB HD and 256 MB RAM added to my PC, get this, the guy wanted the CD for my modem's drivers. fair enough, give him the CD i think they're on. get the tower back today, with a CD tapped to the top. his wife, who's delivering it, says that the drivers for your new modem.

me: UH? new modem??
her: oh, yeah, he couldn't find the drivers for the old modem, so you got a new modem.
me thinks: WTF?!

i open the invoice, FUCKING THIRTY QUID FOR A NEW MODEM I DIDN'T NEED!

i phoned him up, he's all oh, hi, how can i help. I'm all you didn't tell me you were giving me a new modem.
him: yes i did.
me: no you didn't. you told me you wanted the drviers CD, which i gave you. i am not happy, and you won't get any repeat business from me, i'll pay your bill and that's it. SLAMMED PHONE DOWN.

can you believe this? i mean, the guy left the old 10GB HD in, surely he coulda copied the drivers over?

at the very least, he should have phoned me and told me, and i could have said, i've got an external modem herre, i'll use that, thanks.

the other day he'd phoned up and wanted the CD with my video card drivers on, as iwas at work, my mom said to call back later. i waited and waited. then phoned him. says he didn't need it after, cos he downloaded the drivers from the net. and he wasn't going to have the courtesy to phone and say!!

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Thats what you get for living in the UK.
    US computer service would never do something like that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like you got that upgrade job done by a dodgy guy who runs the shop down the road. Every town has one... the bloke who runs the shop is always the same, just as you describe.

Why didn't you just order the stuff online and install it yourself? Cheaper, more satisfying, and you learn stuff that way.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am not a technical guy, i couldn't do that stuff without borking it up.

he's been jerking my dad around after my dad bought a new PC from him as well.

my sister hated the guy when she met him, he's really smarmy.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Why do you keep doing business with him, then? smile.gif

RAM is really really easy to install, btw... turn off all power, take the side/back/whatever off your case, make sure you earth yourself (touching the metal rim of the case should do it), then take the RAM chipset and shove it in the relevent slot of the motherboard. Really difficult to get wrong smile.gif

Hard drives are a different matter though, probably good to get a pro to do it.

But yeah, if this guy is such a bastard, why do you keep dealing with him? Look for someone else - ask your mates or family if they can recommend anyone.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewll, this was only the second time we'd used him. the first time, he fixed my over-heating problem and he seemed okay, but this time, he's dicked us both about and neitehr one of us is going to use him again.

my dad relies on me for knowing who to use, and i got this guy out of the church magazine. my sisters live in different places, so they're no use.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Harddrives aren't hard, either. Just jumper 'em (the first device on a controller must be master, the second slave), put 'em in, add the screws and plug 'em in. Okay, make sure the red ribbon on the IDE cable is on the pin 1 side of the connector on both ends but they usually have a notch that prevents you from incorrectly inserting them.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Why on earth did he need your modem drivers?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i cant belive you didnt tell him to come and collect his modem back ... or just told him you were gona keep it ...

him argueing that you said you did want a new modem is lame ... if it was me i honestly would have told him if hes not round in half an hour to collect it , he can collect it from down the road , coz thats where i would throw it ...

i hate these pc guys who treat average ppl like shit .. last night i went to a guys house to fix his broadband , he had had tech support on the phone for 45 mins , and a guy from the local shop round , all at his expence , they couldnt fix it , i went round and it was Norton blocking his broadband ... "click" permit , done...
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's an internal modem, therm. not about to open up the tower and rip it out.

nostra, because he was putting all the drivers on the new HD. and as i said, it was an internal modem...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    internal , i would still rip it out smile.gif anyway next time you have a problem with ya pc , just email me , ill sort it out for free , and not try to rip you off , like so manny ppl do ... if its a part , ill tell you what to get , and talk you through installing it on the phone if you need ... anything to get rid of these anoying cowboys.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    he's been jerking my dad

[/ QUOTE ]
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ahaha ..... watch it Rick, you're so sharp you'll cut yourself!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cock jokes rule.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at least there was somone to lower the tone wink.gif haha
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    he's dicked us both

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a wealth of cock jokes in here, Rick. How did you miss this one? cool.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quality over quantity.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    neitehr one of us is going to use him again.

my dad relies on me for knowing who to use, and i got this guy out of the church magazine. my sisters live in different places, so they're no use.

[/ QUOTE ]

that whole thing can be sexual.
  • Deimos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: these days you don't usually even have to jumper them as pretty much all drives and motherboards support cable select and are set to use that as standard...and if you do need to manually set the jumpers they at least have a diagram showing how to set them correctly. When I installed my last HDD, I simply took it out of the anitistatic bag, slotted it into a bay, connected the IDE and power cables (easy, as they look completely different and only fit one way), screwed it in with the screws provided and then autodetected it in the bios...then its just a format to use it.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Installing RAM and a hard drive is extremely easy. I have no idea why the guy would need your modem drivers for such an upgrade, unless perhaps he was installing the Operating System on the hard drive, and wanted to do all your drivers for you (installing drivers also being extremely easy to do). I don't mean to sound condescending, but next time you want to upgrade, your fellow polycounters such as myself would definitely be up for answering any questions you might have about installing em, you just wasted money on an upgrade that takes under 10 minutes to do by yourself.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's an internal modem, therm. not about to open up the tower and rip it out.

nostra, because he was putting all the drivers on the new HD. and as i said, it was an internal modem...

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be why then, eh?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What is this 'emo' word I keep seeing? The latest intramaweb speak? Sure, I know what it means, but it's nasty.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think it means emotional certainly, that's why i used it...
  • Redlemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redlemons polycounter lvl 18
    Sundance mate just open up the case, find the modem and take it out, wrap it in one of those computer foil plastic bag things and take it back. If you've already paid for it just nicely ask for the £30 back and you're set. If he refuses then you wouldn't have any problem in taking it higher up to some consumer affairs group or something. It means a lot of effort I guess but damnit, it's the principle!

I hate dodgy people like that.

I love that word smarmy.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i haven't paid for it yet. i'm making him wait til i get paid again.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then don't pay for the modem. It's that simple. These days I'm a right bastard when it comes to getting good customer service. I have no problem with giving someone a bollicking.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did i spawn a new phrase for internet message boards? emo-content?

if so: awesome.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    no, they've been saying that on the SA forums for years.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh they have? well shit.

and here i was thinking i was a pioneer of the internets. frown.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You deserve a serious slap around the back of the head If you did Mishra.