Home General Discussion

GDC Resturants in the area

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lore polycounter lvl 18
Does anyone know of any cheap $5-$20 restaurants in the GDC area. The GDC address is 747 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94103. And is in the down town area just east of China town.

I really appreciate your knowledge of the area.
grin.gif

Replies

• KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Too bad it's not at San Jose again. We went to a place called The Temple. An awesome asian themed bar that sported kung-fu movies playing on projectors and some nice music.
    We got to watch The Legend of the Swordsman, and The Chinese Connection. Good fun.

Don't know about San Fran. I've got a friend from school that'll be going this year, and he's well versed in the haze that is San Fran. I'll see what input he has.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    It's in the lower end of North Beach? That seems pretty odd. There are a hojillion places to eat there, with lots of great Italian food that is easily inside a $20 budget. Rather than make a specific recommendation (I'm just a fan, not a resident), I'd see if you can hook up with Daz or Soul or another SF local who might have an opinion. But even if you flat have to guess, you'll find good eats.

*edit*

Wait a minute - that address is south of Chinatown, not east. You're in the middle of downtown, somewhere near the modern art museum. There are still plenty of places to eat, but it's not quite the same. I ate at a cool diner-style place roughly near that area once, but damned if I can remember the name.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah you're pretty much bang in the middle of town so there's no shortage of places. For cheap good ol' American food try Mels diner on mission across the street from the Metreon centre ( http://www.sfstation.com/business.php?blId=1136 ).

http://www.sfstation.com/classification.php?key=FR
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    For cheap good ol' American food try Mels diner on mission across the street from the Metreon

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm either thinking of that or a Max's Diner in the area - the names aren't terribly memorable, obviously. Alas, Cincinnati has all of one legitimate diner-style eatery, and it's neither that high quality or terribly convenient. On the other hand, we've got a place to get chili spaghetti on every other block. Which is great, except for the fucking chili on the spaghetti. I need to find a job out west frown.gif
  • killingpeople
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    meh, a lot of people think that Verm. Then when you've lived here for a while you realise that it's overpoulated, traffic blows and you cant buy a house. I've enjoyed my time in the bay area, but I couldn't see myself realistically settling here.