Home General Discussion

Games in Law & Order -- the beginning?

thnom
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
thnom polycounter lvl 18
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/08/news_6118208.html

Is this the beginning of this "propaganda"? TV shows filling in towards what the American government wants?

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see it as that bad. They're trying to prove video games did not make the kids kill, that they are responsible for their own actions. Hope the writers make them win.

Did anyone watch this?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, what a coincidence. My favorite game also involves the rape and murder of a prostitute. Jeeezus! Could the writers be anymore biased? The case SHOULD debate whether or not Tetris influenced a 12 year old girl to drop a cinder block on her daddy's head from the roof of their home.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if Nintendo's Wrecking Crew is responsible for teens vandalizing houses with thin walls, lol
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Did anyone watch this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I happened to change it over to NBC (I only get 5 channels in my room, so not much selection), and I saw them talking about violent videogames so I watched it for a bit. I was actually considering starting a thread about it, but I was going to comment on how horrible the game looked instead of the violence part (It was all pre-rendered, but they tried to make it look like realtime content by making it all shitty looking... I don't think it had the desired effect laugh.gif).

Anyway, I started watching about 20 minutes in, and wasn't watching it very closely (I had the TV on in the background while I was surfing), but I got most of the trial part. The kids who were on trial for murder, and their lawyer, were trying to blame it on the videogame and the developer (with all sorts of scientific evidence and studies). The prosecution conceded that the videogame may have given them the idea, but that they acted upon their own volition and knew what they were doing was wrong. The prosecution won the case.

The best part was the end. The hardass NYPD dude (don't know the actor's name) was at home with his son, and his son was playing a handheld game. The dad looks over and asks:

"What are you playing."
    <font color="orange">"Hockey... OH YEAH, WHAT A HIT!"</font>
    "Do you always have to play that thing?"
    <font color="orange">"I dunno, why not?" *kid turns off system and becomes more attentive*</font>
    "I don't know, we can do something together. Cards, scrabble... we can talk."
    <font color="orange">*kid shrugs* "Okay, talk."</font>

Then the dad has a blank expression as if he's trying to come up with something to talk about. The end. I almost got up and started clapping.

[edit] oh yeah, and in regards to the original comment, "Is this the beginning of this 'propaganda'? TV shows filling in towards what the American government wants?" No, that happened a long time ago; it's called "FOX News" laugh.gif.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, Keyser. I never get to watch Law+Order much, but it sounds like the writers knew what they were doing. Only problem is, that and the court decision are the parts of the show that none of the sensationalists already working out there will remember (or want to).

Hell, the pendulum swings both ways! Law+Order itself has already been used to (inadvertently?) throw a murder trial.

/jzero
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I flipped past this show, but I happened to see the section where they showed the game. Christ! I have never seen an uglier model (for the woman). I dont really know how they made it look so shitty, but it looked as if someone just randomly painted over the UVs. Im kinda curious who they paid for that...