Home General Discussion

Creatively nocturnal?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
So I have this problem. When working on any given project, I really dont seem to be able to get totally stuck into it until the evenings. I've actually taken a couple of days off work to do some of my own work. And whaddo I do? Fuck about all day, drive around for a bit, come back and play videogames, surf the web, watch crap TV. Basically *anything* but actually sit down and get any work done. I try, and then I realise I've just got up and wandered away from the workstation without even really thinking about it. Come 8 or 9 pm though, and Im totally into it, and really pick up steam at about midnight. By that point Im normally so into it I dont down tools til 3 or 4am.
Anyone else suffer from this? It can be an issue when people pay you to work for them during the day ;-). I'm wondering why on earth this would be, but I definitely work harder and more enthusiastically at night. Odd.

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    yah dude, early on this past summer i had about a week or two free and just kept working on small projects.. ended up working on stuff all night and sleeping all day. had to switch back to a 'normal schedule' after that, but i definitely had a pretty good flow of ideas during that time.. joked with a few friends that my mind was being able to be creative instead of waste its energies at night on dreams.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I personally like being up during the night and sleeping during the day, night is much calmer and people dont get on your nerves all the time laugh.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    errr yea aint that common. just leave the room dark and cheat yourself wink.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I dont do much work durring the day, i just dont feel that motivated untill its dark out and i have nothing to distract me. You can see that i post new work at like 6am because thats when i go to sleep. I try to switch into a normal sleep at night thing, but then i dont get much done.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    story of my life daz (hell my last 2 threads were made after midnight)

i've theorized before that i tend to get more into it around midnight like you do because by that time of the day there's not much left to distract, no tv, probably played enough games by that point, no people, no stores open, etc. i tend to keep picking up steam as well since the later into the night i go, the more true the things i stated become until i eventually collapse from exhaustion.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    the industry should make their places at the north pole somwhere. so it would be night a half year and u guys could be soooooo creative wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I guess it makes sense. But I still don't fully understand why I feel really fired up and inspirational at night, and totally unmotivated during the day. I wouldn't really mind so much, but it's a bit of an issue when you've gotta get up for work the next day.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I also was just thinking about that. Its like my mind can't calm down until everyone else is asleep. Then I can spend hours working too long (and fuck up my schedule for the next day).
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im still working......:)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, I get the exact same thing. Hell, I was up till 4am last night messing around in Maya.
    I agree with what everyone has said about the "less distractions" thing... although sometimes it works if you just ignore everyone laugh.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not 7am yet so i'm still a chuggen along w00t!
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I've always been naturally nocturnal. I mean, I've blown semesters of college primarily because I couldn't get up for those early 11am classes. The best thing about my job now is that I don't absolutely have to be in the office until 1:30pm, but even that's cutting it close. At Legend I showed up around 3 if I didn't decide to sleep in.

But I don't want it to be this way! I've dabbled in keeping a normal human schedule, and have found that it makes for a fuller-feeling life. I feel that I don't work as well, but things are certainly more sociable when I get up early. There is more overlap with people at work, and it's more likely that I go out for lunch or dinner, or play some games on the LAN, because I've worked a full day by then and don't feel bad about taking a break. It's generally just less lonely. I dunno how to crowbar my Circadian rhythms into accepting such a schedule full-time, but hope there's a way.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    For me, the temptation to only start into stuff hardcore till late at night, is because I have already done all those things that I could procrastinate to already. I've played the games, talked to friends, seen some sunlight and trees, had some food, and human interaction. I get to that point where I don't really have any thing else to do BUT to do artwork.
    Thats what I am tempted to do anyway. I have found that if I just buckle down and force myself to get "into the groove" I can start being productive at any point in the day. I am reading this great book right now called "Creative Sparks" and the author talks about how the best artists are those who are good at starting things. Getting into that "groove" is fairly easy if you just sit, stay, and work.
    He also talks about Focusing. Don't think about lunch till lunchtime, don't think about going home till its quitting time. Keep your mind on the task at hand.

Lately my motto has been "Talk less, Deliver More". I have more problems with distracting myself with people, than with anything else. I can ignore food, videogames, checking email, or exercise; but have someone start up a conversation, and I'm out of the groove.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, so many people with the same problem like me... interesting.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    It's all just theory in the end but...

I think art, the creative process in general, only hits pleasing notes after long hours of studied and focussed concentration. I think it is the length of hours awake rather than the time of day at which we settle down to work that is the key factor.

Certainly , I also feel there's an element of conditioning present, we are conditioned to expect less or no interuptions to our workflow at night as everyone else is done with their day, so no visitors or cold callers.

I am most creative at night, I had to give up both the silly hours and the late hours soon after my daughter was born though.

Due to necessity I have found that getting up early and getting to work early allows me to capitalise on the same 'quiet time' that working at night used to afford me. Noone but a rare few come in to work before 11pm here and I get in around 7.30 to 8.30 in general so I'm in the zone by the time they arrive.

Getting up early enough still allows me enough time to be awake long enough for my mind to get up to higher speeds so I don't lose out on that aspect as much either.

I still find night work more fun and easier. I think the trick is discipline, it is hard to discipline the mind , first thing in the morning, but by the evening, it happens in a more natural way.

Of course, its just my theory. I have thought about this to an unhealthy degree though as giving up the 'pure' artist passion above all else was the hardest thing I had to give up to be a parent and those long hours of uninterupted thought are the one loss that continues to sting me pretty heavily still. I expect this loss always will.

I agree with Dave Sim's writings about the 'Male Light'. He talks about how it's our nature, creatively, to aspire toward a light within ourselves. There is, if you will, a gigantic spire of light within our minds and many long and forked roads leading toward that light that take hours to journey along before reaching that true light, the light of genuine inspiration and creativity.

There are many false roads and fake lights and experience should slowly inform us of how to discern the difference and make the journey more expedient.

----

Of course, I may just be a fucking freakoid lame ass geek boy afraid of my own shadow so much that I'm only relaxed enough to draw right at night when NOONE CAN SEE ME!

smile.gif

Who can say? smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ive had major problems with this too, in final year of uni there arent many classes to go in for, all self regulated work.. so many times Ive caught myself working till 10 am and waking up at 6-7pm. But I've heard keeping this kind of schedule actually shortens your lifespan..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ror: I'd be interested to work in a place where nobody showed up for work before 11pm! smile.gif
    You're right though, I think it's just discipline, I guess if you got used to waking up early, going to sleep early, then you'd probably eventually get to the same level of productivity and creativity, just shifted back a few hours?

Rooster: Heh, I'm 2nd year and I still find myself up working at 4am, when I have 9am classes... wink.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Yep. Same here. Alot of ideas and determination come to me after 9, or somewhere around there.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [Rorshach]
    the hardest thing I had to give up to be a parent and those long hours of uninterupted thought are the one loss that continues to sting me pretty heavily still. I expect this loss always will.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was tough for me too, although for me the fulfillment of raising my kids and sharing that with my wife are a strong tonic for it.

There's definitely a creative catalyst in the isolation and mystery of the late hours.

I wonder how this changes if you're at the polar latitudes, during the time of the year when daylight is short?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Mop:Well keep in mind, those that dont show before 1.30 like Malky boy, tend to stick around to burn the midnight oil!

Eric: Sure sure, but we all want our cake and eat it too, to a certain degree!

I expect also the polar latitudes people are in the same cycle we are, they are still conditioned to certain times being the quiet times, I think thats the key factor rather than darkness.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makes me want to read up on diurnal sleep studies, the ones where subjects were removed from daylight indicators. I wonder if the circadian rhythms eventually equalized with real time, or if a different sleep/wake rhythm was formed. Wasn't there that guy who isolated himself in a cave for a year?

DaZ, good topic.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    This is me to a 'T', I've always been very nocturnal. All my best work has been done post midnight. This really sucks because I live in a large open loft space with my gf(the anti-Muse) so when she want to go to bed I gotta be super quiet or just stop, bitch.
    I really wish it wasn't this way. I wish I could be 'on' all the time. Another thought is that I need a set amount of time of procrastination before I get down to it. smile.gif

Is it that we are slightly telepathic and we don't know it? Do we need all the other brains around us to shut down so we can have clarity?
    On the Apollo missions they conducted experiments when the astronauts were on the dark-side of the moon to see if their telepathic abilities would be enhanced when they were away from the noise of humanity.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh, blessed peaceful night. The curse of the bliding daystar haunts us all wink.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Idk, perhaps its just the willpower to do other things cuts out sometime after sunset, and the urge to do art takes over...either that or its sleeping while awake...woohoo.

Glad to see its not only me who doesn't feel like getting around to art things until everyone else is asleep...

I didn't do anything 3D all day, just some sketching that was necessary for a class project...then for some damn reason at around 2:00 am I felt compelled to boot up Max and went and unwrapped a head I'm working on for the Head sdk thread...still got to lay everything out, but its unwrapped at least...
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I can work fine during the day. But nighttime is the only time that people and responsibilites will leave me the hell alone. That's the time that I can truly be myself.

/jzero
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a nightboy too. F'ing weird, I thought it was just me. I've had discussion about this with my girlfriend but cant really get her to understand. I will dawdle all day but when it hits around 10pm...the creativity starts trickling in. Be it sketching or modeling. I think Ror is right about it being in part, due to conditioning. You spend day time hours at school for the first part of your life then you get a job,and generally its during the same hours of the day, so in a way daytime is associated with working. I mean, when you've done it for so many years, don't you think your brain would find it hard to break away? Evenings equal relaxation. It's when most of us play games, chat on these boards etc.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Ive got the same thing going on, whatever it may be smile.gif
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    So does ANYONE work better during the daytime???

Unless I have a deadline close at hand I do the same thing, I dink around with leisurely things, dabbling a bit in the work here or there, but not truly hitting my stride before evening, and building up until midnight.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm. I think it just comes down to interruptions.

If no one is pestering me and I'm not distracted, then once I get in the groove I can stay there, regardless of the time of day.

We have a loose rule around here, don't disturb anyone who's in "the zone," unless you really need to. Try to avoid walking in with some casual conversation, unless that person's obviously open. The programmers totally dig this.

Headphones really help too, people understand at a glance that you're difficult to interrupt, so naturally they do it less.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I work better during the daytime. If I'm coming to work a couple of hours before most folks show up I tend to be at my most productive during that period. For me I think it has more to do with distractions than my internal clock.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've witnessed how damaging a late schedule can have on my mental and physical health. I used to stay up til 3 or 4 am, but my mind would be too lost in a haze to do anything productive. The next morning, I would feel the after effects and have no motivation to do anything. And so on... It's bad for you, and a difficult habit to break.

Since last July I've taken courses related to health, anatomy, and alternative medicine. Now I know the importance a good nights sleep has on our whole body system, so I sleep early, and comfortably. I find myself more refreshed in the morning. I eat well, and my mind is working at its best. I have more energy to complete all my daily tasks quickly. I'm lucky because I run my own business that requires me to work outside, so I stay close to nature. After 4 or 5, my day is finished and I'm ready to sit down for a good 7 hours relaxed. The phone never rings, and no one interupts. I can still focus completely on my studying and art and still get to bed on time for the next day. The less you sleep, the less your mind retains. Some people I believe are hiding themselves from their true potential. But, life gets in the way.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Before I started working in the industry, I used to work till about 5 or 6 in the morning. I did this for about 5 years (Really messes your head up)
    I now work nine to five texturing heads, then come home and chat to the missus, go for a meal sometimes.
    I stil work at home, though I do do the all nighters anymore.
    I found that although I felt more creative at night I mainly spent time 'fiddling' with 3dsmax or not being as productive as I should have.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Bah whatever, I dont realy care what time it is.

Just gimme Max , photoshop or a pencil. and Ill do art, anytime of the day or night.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm just going to chime in here and say "me too".
    I am sorta allowed to come into the office as late as 10ish, but everybody else gets here between 8-9:30 or so.
    I absolutely CAN NOT fall asleep before 2am without chemical assistance.

Sadly, to make matters worse, Im in a new housing development. For the last 4 months, every morning at 6am, bulldozers & jackhammers and loud mexican music blast through my walls as the construction begins for the day... 12 feet from my head. The new homes are just over the wall.

I drink WAY too many Mt. Dew's at work, just to stay awake.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I totally agree...my creative urge will kick in about 9pm and last until morning if I let it! If I go to bed early, like 7pm, i can wake up at 1-2a and will be in that groove all morning so it works out great.

There was a news item I saw a couple years ago that showed that the brains of late night workers eventually get smaller than their daylight counterparts. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I have to note is I seem to draw better during the day than night. I can be in max all night. But to really get some good skecthing in, I need access to daylight.

I wonder if this all has something to do with light? Meaning since monitors shed light, we can work on them during times when it is dark. (Also they are easier to see when there isnt as much reflected light around). While drawing or using more natural tools working during the day is easier and funner.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm just going to chime in here and say "me too".

[/ QUOTE ]
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There was a news item I saw a couple years ago that showed that the brains of late night workers eventually get smaller than their daylight counterparts. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting theory.

So far everyone seems to think they're creative at late hours. But, are you creative, or just more productive? Creativity means to create without imitation. Many of you are using examples of how long you work. So how is your creativity affected by time of day?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone find it funny all the posts about nocternal workers being posted from people who where waking up while we were going to sleep?
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    For me i would not say that iam more creative around midnight.
    My latest observation is that it takes a lot longer to get to 100% attention if its cold outside or bad weather in general. But iam a weather freak and cant stand quick falling or raised temperature (from one day to another).
    So i work a little longer and - its early morning smile.gif.

PS: jepp - laugh.gif so manny theorys. Dont sleep enough = get bad skin, sleep to much = get overwaight etc. etc. - science tongue.gif.

PPs: Pignore spelling errors, iam tired laugh.gif.