Home Technical Talk

Low poly hands?

CheapAlert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
Back on the old boards ,someone posted an excellent pic of cube face extrusion to make great low poly hands.

Because well, I suck at making hands again

handsey.jpg
hands.JPG
:X

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    get some reference of human hands. scan your own hand. take a photo of your own hand. from the top. use it as a viewport background, or even just an image next to you.
    draw on the image to decide where would be a good place to put edges and polys. use quads.
    look at your own hand while modelling. don't draw out crappy hands like that in Paint or whatever the fuck you're using there. those are not hands. those are crappy, crappy imitations of a gargoyle mitten or something. seriously, get some GOOD reference - THEY'RE ATTACHED TO THE END OF YOUR ARMS.

model some REAL hands. then use what you learned to model fake gargoyley hands.

forgive me if i seem a little harsh, but it's 3:30am and to be honest, the answer to your question is so blindingly obvious that it hurts my mind.
    you don't need tutorials, you need reference. you HAVE reference. you have a brain. use these two in conjunction.
    I know you can model, you can move polys, edges and verts. that's all you need to do - move polys into the shape of a hand. just look at your own hand A HELL OF A LOT ... rotate it around as you rotate your viewport... see if each angle matches up. if it doesn't, alter it till it does. then you will have a realistic hand model. then you can make an unrealistic one, with the correct approach.

i don't even see why you bothered including that black and white image. you can't expect to make a good hand model if you don't have a good idea of what you're trying to make. and that image shows you really don't have a good idea of what that hand looks like from all angles.

now instead of wasting time posting obvious questions, spend a while in Blender and looking at your hands. that should solve your dilemma.

:X
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not the need of reference to make hands (I can just look at my own hand, so that is not a problem), it's how they're built as a model, and learning what is best to achieve a low poly hand, ESPECIALLY with tri's, since these hands are going in-game on the player model, and I wanna fit in a 2500 poly budget.

FB's hands are the same as a humans, but with one less finger, so that shouldn't be any different on this matter. So there's no need to spaz since i'm not doing a human, any hand help can help. laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't "spaz" since you're not doing a human, I "spazzed" because you posted that god-awful "reference" drawing with the model. What the hell was the point of that? To show how bad your current reference is?

Just as an interesting side-thought - who do you think was the "first person" to model hands? Did he get some help from an almighty being who whispered the perfect technique in his ear? Did Daz or Bobo read tutorials on how to model the perfect high or low poly hand, and just applied it to their workflow? I seriously doubt it! There's something called effort and practise, which everyone seems to want to avoid these days... instead of demanding tutorials, just spend some time and try to WORK IT OUT!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I did this in 10 minutes while eating a cheese sandwich. Any help?

lamehand.jpg
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just as an interesting side-thought - who do you think was the "first person" to model hands? Did he get some help from an almighty being who whispered the perfect technique in his ear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adrian Carmack, ball fist Quake hands! Of course he didn't have any tutorial to begin with because he already was a bitchin' artist :P

The drawing isn't a direct model-off reference, it's drawn to give the idea of what the hand is going to look like. If I were to do an accurate reference for serious use, i'd Wacom it up. But it's not, and I didn't even CALL it a model reference.

Thanks for the pic btw. Surprised nobody got on someone else's tits when they asked the exact same thing on the old boards, so for the love of fred, please cut the drama and get to the point
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I didn't even CALL it a model reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I say, why bother posting it then? The screengrab you posted from Blender gives just as good an idea of where you are trying to go with the hands. Posting that crappy black and white image just makes it look like you're not even making an effort to figure out how to do it yourself.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'd try a more relaxed pose than what MoP is using, helps with animating.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd try a more relaxed pose than what MoP is using, helps with animating.

[/ QUOTE ]

but sucks with UVmapping frown.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gwot.net/pub/Hands.html owned

Thanks gwot!

As for you MoP i am very aware I am capable of shading my hands and drawing them for more than half of a minute to get my idea accross even if it's damn anatomy-imperfect inaccurate

handz0r.JPG
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I get the picture. Now go model them! laugh.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, it took me awhile (to get off my arse)!
    hands.jpg