Home General Discussion

The Future, and the choices I Make...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
Howdy everyone, for along time now (prob 6 years at least) I have been wondering what it would take to get into the gaming industry, finding a job, getting into college, choosing colleges etc. And I have asked a lot of people, most recently, Ben Mathis, but I am still not quite educated in the way I was aiming for.

If no one knows it yet, I have had a VERY long lasting dream of becoming part of the expanding gaming industry, it has been a dream of mine ever since I was like, 7. And now that college choices are drawing closer, and my life is finally starting, I am kinda freaking out here. Not in the way of like "OMG THIS TEST IS GOING TO KILL ME" kinda thing, but just like, "What If I am not ready?" "What if I make a wrong decision that will end my chances" Those kind of questions.

I have been 3d modeling for a year and some odd months (like 5 almost) and I am loving every minute of it, it just has taken over my life, and I couldn't be more happy smile.gif And I look up to people like, Ben Mathis, Bobo The Seal, Hawkprey, my friends (Knut, Almighty_Gir, Xavi} and everyone else who I have met over this short journey. I know these (my friends) if they put their minds too it, they will get whatever they want, Xavi is going for a gaming job, and i KNOW he will make it, he is a talented artist, and 3d modeler, and a good guy. And my friend Knut, although he is in the army, if he actually goes out for a gaming job, I know he will make it. Also ALmighty_Gir, all of these people are so talented, and everyday I meet very talented people that blow me away. And then I question myself, am I like that, do people see that I have talent, or am I just a crazy noob frown.gif And I don't have an answer, thats one of the things that trouble me.

I guess some people could say I over think about it, but if they could understand that this has been a dream of mine, to obtain a job that i KNOW i will enjoy. Of course it will be a hard task, but for some people, taking a poo is hard, but they get through it, and figure out that it wasn't that hard (just stay away from spicy foods next time:) ) I just really want to get a chance to get my dream job.

So I have some questions for you seasoned pro's, and those that are budding out there smile.gif

I live in Canada, Kingston Ontario to be exact, and I have been looking for colleges that offer Game Design courses. Now I was chatting with Ben, and he said that those Art Institues usally put you in debt, and you don't really NEED to go there for training. Well, I also don't want to go to a college where I have to study english for anotehr 4 years, I want to study art, gaming art, game deisgn, character creation ALL OF THAT smile.gif So I was wondering anyone who lives in canada, or knows of any colleges or univerisies that offer these types of course, and know that they are well done.

I have sent basiclly the same questions to local companies (in canada) and have gotten no response at all, which isn't a huge surprise, but it would have been nice for some extra help. My school is bsaiclly gay, and they only offer information for colleges and univeristies in Ontario, and non of the teachers share the same emotion that I do towards this kinda of art, and it is frusturating.

My other question is what do companies look for, do they look for talent, who meets the standards, or do they look for ambition, how they get along with the team, what kind of person you are, do you have the ability to learn kinda thing.

I guess I have bored you all long enough, I will end this post, I really hope some of you people could help me smile.gif

Thanks in advance,
Jason Lavoie
scooby_doo_jay@hotmail.com

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Hi Jason, I was just recently making the same choices you are, and in the end I decided to stay away from specialty programs like game design, I felt they were too gimickey and if ever the game thing doesnt work out, you at least have something to fall back on, that's why i enroled in a traditional/digital arts program, so i can still build up my technique in hope of obtaining a job in the industry, but if all else fails at least I can still model and animate for a living at some sort of advertising/animation studio. But if you are dead set on getting into one of those game design programs I'd say check out the art Institute of Toronto
    http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool.ca/programs-game-art-and-design.aspx
    I simply find that alot of people that get into these programs tend to know very little, or nothing at all about game creation they simply think "hey, that's really cool, and i can make money doing it!!", and because of this the programs seem to really lack in depth exploration of just how much games are advancing technologically, thus they limit on how they teach you.
    Just on a final note, I recently worked with a woman who took a specialty course like that when i was doing a co-op at www.talltreestudios.com and i've seen her once since, and she was serving me coffee. (cheap shot, but just found it kind of funny)
  • artgoon
    Offline / Send Message
    artgoon polycounter lvl 18
    Sheridan-good
    Seneca-Good(I think)
    Vanarts-good

Take your pick. I think Seneca has a Games Program as well as Vanarts. Sheridan is based more for the film/commerical fields and doesn't offer a Game Program yet.
  • Cthogua
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Having been to a four year school before I attended Full Sail, I was definatly glad that I had the benifit of several years of traditional art study behind me. Software isn't difficult to learn at all, but understanding 2d and 3d design, color, and art history takes time. True, four years of school is expensive, but I know I tend to work harder under the pressure of school. Especially when I was younger.

Also...Don't worry that you're going to make a decision that's going to ruin your chances in the game industry. Especially in regards to a school. As long as you're a decent person, don't steal anyones work, or kill a hooker or something, then chances are if you work hard enough at it you'll get there eventually. You'll make good decisions and bad ones, and the industry will go through good times and bad ones, but as long as you don't go to jail or something, you'll work through them. I hate to sound paternising or anything, but I remember having alot of those worrys when I was graduating from high school.

James Ball
  • Paul Jaquays
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    If you are interested in doing game art ... become a solidly trained artist first. Choose a school with a solid foundational curriculum in art. Choose a school where the professors appear to be doing the type of traditional art that you want to learn. Learn to draw well. Learn to make good compositions. Learn to paint. All will support a career in art later on.

Be a great artist who also can make game art. You won't close any doors by making that choice.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    What Paul said. You already know how to do 3d. You need to learn your art foundations now.
  • Mojo2k
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    yes, fact is, if you can do good art you will get hired, it doesnt make a lick of difference where or even IF you went to school for it, if you think school can help you be a better artist then do it, just like others suggest, I would also definatly suggest going to school to learn traditional art, you can always learn difrent programs on your own time.