polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mishra polycounter lvl 18
w_vrVRSCB_ss_dom_C01.jpg

down sides:

-22,000 dollars

-need to have a valid drivers license

-22,000 dollars.

-that 22,000 dollars isnt even counting protective gear or cool flame decals.

but when (if) i get a good paying job, i should start saving up for the motorcycle, because on my allowance it would take about 42 years to save up the money, and i dont want to be riding it when i'm 58.

-very dangerous. my dad broke his leg on a harley. well not on it, he hit a roadside billboard going like 75 miles an hour.

up sides:

-i get a cool motorcycle

-chicks dig guys on motorcycles

-the MAN could not CATCH me when im doing cool wheelies and stuff and going through panes of glass and jumping over buildings.

-dangerous is sexy these days or something

Replies

• JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Broke my hand three months ago when I crashed my bike, still sin't repaired (damn lack of funds). Protective gear is good...

crunchhelm.jpg

Well, I doubt you get straight on a hog anyway... build up through the cc's.

I wanted a Harley, then I sat on one... didn't like the riding position at all.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I've been riding bikes since I was 16. Im now officially very old according to Poop. So, in my significant experience you're missing some stuff:

down sides:

you have no weather protection. I dont know where you live but riding in the rain is never fun. Neither is riding across a high bridge in high wind. Neither is riding in close to freezing temperatures. Combine all of the above to make for an interesting game of survival.

Not all chicks dig motorcycles. Plenty would prefer to be sat comfortably in a flash car in the warm with some music on.

It's a Harley. Im sorry. I know they're classics n' all, but the technology hasn't changed for 50 years. ( you wont be doing no wheelies ) To me they defeat the purpose of a motorcycle and are absurdly over priced, but i know what an American icon they are to you people so I wont push the issue.

cant carry much stuff

Helmets mess up your hair

Long distance can be uncomfortable

up sides:

great sense of freedom

parking

you dont get stuck in traffic

mpg, but then, its a Harley so this is probably moot.

Btw, to spend 22 grand on a 'first bike' is pretty ridiculous. You're better off working your way up on smaller ,less expensive machines. To add to the danger aspect, it's not a question of IF you fall off but WHEN. No matter how good a pilot you are, theres always some soccer mom in a Volvo busy changing the radio station instead of watching the road ahead. If I had a buck of every time I heard the 'oh sorry, I didn't see you' line I'd be minted.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so what brand would you reccomend?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked my way up from a scooter to a 250cc Honda Rebel, helped me to start small. The Rebel rode low so it was easy to keep balanced when stopped/idling, very different from the usual crotch rocket, teetering on your tiptoes.

Get a used bike, have it checked out, much cheaper that way.

Invest in good protection, you'll need it when you least expect it. Leather jacket with pads, good over-the-ankle boots, thick-palmed gloves, full helmet. Sucks in hot weather, but man road rash REALLY sucks.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I've never owned a car. Till this winter I have never even driven one regularly because I hate them (I borrowed my parents 1989 Olds for the coldest days this winter, I still walk or use the motorcyle alot).

I started with a 250cc 1974 yamaha
    upraged to a 2001 750cc Kawasaki
    When I got my first job, I got a 2003 Suzuki Sv1000s
    sv1k.jpg

I HIGHLY recomend the suzuki SV series. Start with the sv650, as its a great beginners bike that you won't need to upgrade anytime soon. And its only 6,000 brand new (used nice ones can be had for around 2-3k) Good insurance, great pep (mine can do 0-60 in 2.6) and hella fun to ride.

I know I will never give up the bike, and I HATE driving this land boat. Can't wait for it to warm up.

You can get by with just a motorcycle for transporation. I have done it for 2 years now. Its very possible.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, motorcycles. My new love:

ROCKET_09.jpg

This thing is just beautiful. A 2-liter engine! Insanity! And about 6-7 thousand cheaper than the list on that Harley.

What are you into, Darren? Crotch rockets and the like? I can't really imagine riding a motorcycle in SF, seems like a voluntary death sentence tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I've owned mainly Yamahas but also some Hondas. I had a CBR6 for a while which is just an amazingly good all round bike. But fair enough if you're not into sports bikes. Honda and Yamaha both make good cruisers and tourers too.

I always used to wear ALL leathers. When I wrapped this YZF around a small Fiat, If I wasn't wearing these I know I'd have come off much much worse than I did. Which was mainly a bruised ego. ( well, and a totalled bike and Fiat actually )

yzf.jpg
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    SV.... niiiiceeee smile.gif Looks like an interesting finish on that, poop

Lots of people also seem to go with a Bandit as their first bike.

I don't drive. So I'm now mountain biking to work. Always two wheels laugh.gif Roll on summer, though.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Lol Tom I hate that exression! Whats wrong with 'sports bikes' ?! I can definitely appreciate the beauty of that Triumph yes. But Im a bit of a speed freak. It's the performance Im interested in over anything else pretty much. I dont ride much over here. But Ive been thinking about getting back into it. SUVs are a bit of a turn off though
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh - I used that phrase *because* I figured you for a sport bike guy! I can relate, that was definitely my love early on, but the older I get, the more I seem to prefer classic cruisers. Have you looked into these Rocket III's? I haven't ridden one, but from what I hear, they pull about as hard as anything else you can ride. 150fp of torque - even though it's a huge bike, you're still looking at 0-100km in less than 3 seconds. It's almost the 1960's muscle car vibe, using raw power and to hell with mass and aerodynamics; certainly nothing like a stock Harley cruiser. Plus, it's a British icon, which I hear might appeal "to you people." wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I thought I'd start with the jabs you see, since announcing Harelys as rubbish I knew would get me lynched heh. That sounds awesome though. I know what you mean about age refining ones tastes. Rather like how I used to drink lager but now prefer a glass of bordeaux?
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Just go buy a mid 70's honda CB550. Insurance is cheap, and you you can get one for under $500. It's a good learner bike, and tuned well can still get the front wheel up and corner like crazy. I took mine on a trip from Indiana to New York and back. No problems.
    First thing to do is buy a full face helmet. I wouldn't be typing this if not for one.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, it's funny how you haven't taken any real flak for dissing Harleys... probably 'cause everyone knows they're tractors smile.gif

I wouldn't start on an SV650. I had one for a few years, my favorite bike by far, but I think it's too much power to start on. I started on a scooter - I would personally highly recommend this because it gets you thinking defensively. At least it did for me. Then I graduated to a 400cc Bandit, then the SV650. Now I'm riding my wife's Suzuki Savage (one big 650cc cylinder), and I really hate the cruiser riding position. It feels totally unsteady, especially at low speeds, and just bugs the crap out of me. Ahhh, I can't wait until I can afford a new bike... back to browsing craigslist smile.gif

Most important of all, though... take a safety course. You will be really really really glad you did.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Andy, shall we shred some corners together when we get bikes again? I still want an old NT 650 hawk.

Daz, pull the platic and make a streetfighter of it. [edit] Oops sorry didn't notice the word totaled
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to have a bike as well, perhaps when I find a better job. I'll trade the old truck in for one to start out. My dad has a sharp looking Harley he goes cruising on everyday. I'd rather have one I can put scatches on. Nothing too shiny.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, I think a Harley is a bad choice for a first bike. Not only is it expensive, but the ratio of price:performance isn't too good. By all means, I'm not telling you to go buy an R1. Don't get anything too powerful for your first bike, or you might get pumped up too early in the game and try something stupid.

Although once you get the skills/money, I'd go with a Suzuki or a Yamaha.

BTW, nice bikes guys, especially poop :P
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting, i've been looking at that honda rebel, seems like a pretty good choice. I'll look around and see if i can get some good deals on bikes, maybe save up enough for a nice one in some time. thanks for the help guys.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    First bike....I like the cafe' style but the cruisers are cool, too. I'd shop around and feel 'em out a bit..... but for affordability....Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki & Kawasaki are all good bikes. Learn to ride defensively. You can't just hop on and go. Find an empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice. Wear prtective gear...don't be a hero...you can crack your skull falling at 5 mph. I had two Honda CBR 1000's...top speed of around 140-150....a schweet ride. Here's one of 'em. CBR.jpg
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    also take a look at the Kawa Ninja 500 as a starter bike. Don't worry about (and do not listen to anyone telling you you'll out grow a bike to quick) outgrowing anything you buy as a beginner. resale value on those starter bikes is usually pretty consistant.

also that harley in your picture is a v-rod with a porsche designed liquid cooled engine. you could save a lot of money (even buying HD) by not aiming so high right out of the blocks smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you can crack your skull falling at 5 mph

[/ QUOTE ]

Indian Larry frown.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    too poor to get a motorcycle now (but i have an 86 vette, so that'll suffice for the time cool.gif ) but quite a few of my friends have motorcycles, and one or two of them are risking their expensive rides to (slowly) teach me how to ride. I went with them the other week when they were eyeing a Ducatti one of them is gonna buy soon, and they decided to have me try out a few different bikes to see what i liked... I cant ride a ninja bike cause my neck / upper back is somewhat screwed due to a car accident a few years back , and pain will set in after just a short while in the hunched-over position mad.gif ... so finally, we get to this newer Honda-looks-like-a-Norton-cafe-racer... i liked it, it was comfortable as all hell to sit on, and my friends all said the style of the bike fit me perfectly... so now i guess i know what i'm gonna get when i get the funds to own a motorcycle... crazy.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    dukester.. somewhere around my mess of a room is a free motorcycle publication i picked up last week, real awesome article on Larry. I can dig it up / scan it in if you like.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Indian Larry frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad, I agree, but trying to stand on a moving motorcycle while not wearing a helmet is getting into Darwin Award territory, even if the bike is only moving a few miles an hour. He'd still be alive if he wasn't doing stupid bike stunts.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Expect to drop a first bike twice in the first day, then twice more in the first week, then twice more in the first month, then you should be compedent to drive a little faster so when it gets dropped twice more in the first year the repair costs begin to go up, the next danger period is usually about after 3 years when you think you are gods gift to street racers (people tend to get confident after about 3 years and have a serious accident) and have another prang. There are of cource exceptions when people dont go through the same learning path, but some of those end up having a serious accident instead of the small learning ones on the way, which can easily be fatal. So you have to decide how much you wont follow the average learning curve, and how much you are prepared to invest at what poing of the learning curve, so it can be cheaper to buy several cheaper bikes to crash on the way to the one expencive one. One thing that have noticed about people that get a nice bike early in the learning curve that often goes wrong is that they tend to find a bunch of other bike riders to hang around with on their new flash steed and try o follow them (speed and driving wise) and ususally end up with a nasty case of road rash and a big financial loss around the 4th corner on the county lanes. Its not all bad tho, i think that DaZ was a little modist about some of the good things about biking, there is something about the trust involved in being a pillion that really does have an effect on almost everyone that is great for bonding with the girls, and getting in a car during rush hour is something that you will never do willingly again.

tpe
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Tim: good stuff there, pal. lol wink.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I would agree with all those who reccommend taking it easy at first. Gone are the days when learner bikes looked shite. Now you can start on something that actually looks like a motorbike, not the 90cc Honda step-thru I started on.

I don't actually own a bike now, I'm afraid I went 'car' when the family came along. Now though I'm getting a bit 'mid-life' and want to get back in the saddle. Living here on the Isle of Man isn't exactly discouraging either, although I do see a lot of near misses, and the occasional bad smash.

Just make sure you're properly kitted, tarmac and steel are very unforgiving.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Got my bike in early 2004. Best thing I have ever purchased. I'm more into the traveling\exploring\adventuring, that I can do on mine than the breakneck speed racing you can do on a sport bike. To each his own, I love all bikes. The first two pics are it geared up for a 2 week trip out to the Atlantic through Quebec.
    Bikes_StoppedForGrubb.jpg
    P1010026.JPG
    stripsmall.JPG