Home General Discussion

Take Two eats up more baseball

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Take Two now has exclusive rights to not only the MLBPA, but also the MLBP, and MLB Advanced Media.

I hope this isn't going to become standard practice, with big name publishers gobbling up every concievable license out there...

Here's the full article:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/30/news_6117499.html

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, seems extremely silly to me for companies to be doing this. But man, money talks I guess. Its a shame that this is becoming less of an art form and more of a business. :\

Bah.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, it's always been a business, Adam. But it's becoming more of a monopoly than anything else. More than 1/3 of the industries 3rd party developers went out of businuess last year. With big names devouring major licenses, it leaves little quick-content, for those struggling to survive.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    wow, yeah the business is changing drastically for sure, there is still room for smaller Development Houses to create orginal games, but it seems as if the idea is good the company gets bought by one of the bigger publishers and then the cycle repeats
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    well, since license games mostly suck, let them have them, and let smaller companys make good original stuff
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I can't think of any REALLY good licensed games besides Riddick: escape from butchers bay ..but then again I don't like sports games .
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    well, since license games mostly suck, let them have them, and let smaller companys make good original stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
    It's the larger companies that 'make' the liecenced titles suck in my opinion. The bootom line is every product has to have it's selling point, an unestablished IP can't ride the hype associated with its name.

Monolith made Tron2.0, and that was an established IP with name recognition, they still did a magnificent job with it. I would argue that publisher mentality makes these licensed IP's what they are.

-R
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a moot point when it comes to sports games; an unlicensed sports game lacks appeal. Just imagine what the reaction would be if it were discovered that the next Gran Turismo game didn't contain any real-world, licensed vehicles: instead of a Porshce 911, Acura NSX, and Ford Mustang, you would have a "generic Euro sports," "generic Japanese exotic," and "generic American muscle." The game would never be made, because a "realistic" racing sim without real cars is not marketable, regardless of how good a game it may be.

I find all of these exclusive deals to be very saddening.