Home Technical Talk

Maya UV issues

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I'm trying to map texture to a single, non-square shaped (paralelogram I believe... like a triangle with the top point cut off) polygon to use as an alpha plane, but am getting distortion running across where the polygon's triangulation goes. I've tried a number of work arounds but the only thing I've found that works is adding an extra edge down the middle which I can't really do given the tiny poly budget I've got to work with. Any clues as to how I'd get around this problem?

I can't simply paint the shape into the texture and keep the poly square as the texture needs to be used tiled in other places on the same model.

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    If I've understood you correctly, surely this isn't a Maya limitation but a inherant problem in 3D graphics?!

Maybe some images would explain better? But it sounds to me like you've gotten down to the wire with number of polygons and therefore UV's.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    So let me get this right.
    This is your GEO:
    _
    /_\

And you're trying to map it like this:
    _
    |_|

?

If that's the case, there's no way around the stretching. This, by the way, is like what DaZ said, an problem with 3d graphics in general.
    Basically what's happening is you're keeping the bottom half the way it should be... and then stretching the top horizontally.

Any kind of vertical detail you put on your texture will have distortion. Anything horizontal, however, will be unaffected.

So you have a few options

a.) turn your poly shape a square.
    b.) redesign your texture (keep it to horizontal elements)
    c.) Turn your poly shape into this:
    __
    /__/

Could be wrong. Post a pic.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're quite right, It happens in max too, I merely mentioned Maya because I was after specific work around instructions. Given that there isn't some magic tool or mel script to fix the problem, I guess I'll just have to cut back on the slopes on the edges. Thanks anyway smile.gif

I wonder, would it be possible to build a uv mapping tool that allowed the altering of map geometry without altering the mesh itself? Probably, it'd need to be a seperate tool seeing it'd fundamentally change the way that the software would have to work... I think. Who knows. Just some caffiene addled musings. Would be a nice thing though.