Home General Discussion

Tech question - networking

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
I have an ADSL router with USB and one Ethernet port in it. If I plug my 5 prt hub into it, it will handle multiple connections, wont it?

Currently it goes into my PC, my PC has ICS turned on, and further down the (wireless) network the hub is in place and working.

I just want to bypass using the PC with ICS, and I can see no reason why it won't work.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should work fine, i've used hubs a few times in the past without problems but i have a router on my systems here.
  • Arthur Green
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Green polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have an ADSL router with USB and one Ethernet port in it. If I plug my 5 prt hub into it, it will handle multiple connections, wont it?

Currently it goes into my PC, my PC has ICS turned on, and further down the (wireless) network the hub is in place and working.

I just want to bypass using the PC with ICS, and I can see no reason why it won't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now, you most likely get a single IP address assigned to your DSL modem by your ISP. ICS does NAT for the other systems on your local LAN. If you want to ditch ICS and connect the router to your hub, the router will need to do NAT.
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on your router and hub docs, but if it's an older router you might need to use a cross-over cable between it and one of the ports on the hub, then yes the router should be visible to the rest of the network.

If you're not going to use dhcp on the clients, put the adsl router's ip address into each computer's DNS and Gateway IP settings [edit] same goes for the WAP [/edit], otherwise your clients apps won't resolve external addresses. (not telling ya how to suck eggs there, just letting you know where it trips people up) and yep this is also dependant on the router doing NAT as Arthur pointed out.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I have ADSL model to SMC Barracuda NAT router to PC's and it works, i think the router costs like 65eur or something.
    I have to use this solution because i have cheaper home-use connection, with bussiness one i could connect multiple PC's through the modem and each of them would get separate IP.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I should be OK then, as it does have NAT

http://www.gconnect.net/hardware/binatone2000.asp

Ethernet interface
    USB Interface
    Web based GUI for configuration assistance
    NAT for basic firewall support
    DHCP server
    DNS relay support