Home General Discussion

Email names affect chances of getting hired?

RageUnleashed
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
So I was wondering; is it best to get an email that has your name or something more formal when emailing out your resume? currently my email is using either the name rageunleashed or chunkygibber, but would that cause employers within a game company to not take my emails as seriously? What have those of you who've gotten hired used as email names? Something formal or your net callsigns?

Replies

• tubboy
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just an aspiring hobbyist, so I'm far from an authority on the subject, but I don't imagine it would make much of a difference. It might have a slight subconscious affect on the person receiving your resume (using your full, real name might seem more professional... or maybe it'd be perceived as lacking personality), but I doubt anyone would say, "Hey! We can't hire this guy. I mean, just look at his email address! There's no way we could hire this guy." I think the important thing is that your email address should be 1. short, 2. easy to remember, and 3. have no goofy characters or underscores. Other than that, I don't think it's something to worry about wink.gif.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    if your work is really good, none of these things matter. As long as your username won't offend anyone, or embarrass you, you should be fine.

I use my real anme (first and last) for both my corporate and my personal email account. Only my yahoo and hotmail have handles (Russimama accually is Uncle Ross in Ghujurati so....it's not silly at all)

-R
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    What about poopinmymouth
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    It's more professional if you have a domain and a good email address, I just use my name. I would rather have my employer's know me by Josh rather than Ghost_rider. I feel it makes employer's take you more seriously as well.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I agree that using your name simply sounds more professional than 'DeathslayAR72@hotmail.com' , I'm not convinced that it would seriously hinder your employability provided that your work was up to par. I mean somehow Poop gets away with it. But then, that's Poop.

But really, nuthin' to lose by setting up a gmail account and using your name is there?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    HR will take you more seriously. But if the artists get a hold of you info/portfolio... I'm sure they wouldn't care. We all have our own stilly e-mail addy. You'd get laughed at... but that's about it. The quality of your work should ultimately decide if you're qualified or not.

I feel silly sometimes giving my e-mail out. Makes me feel more nerdy than usual. Hahah
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on the nick, but I suggest you go with your real name. First initial plus last name is professional, businesslike, and safe. The only time seeming professional will hurt you is if you show up to the interview in a coat and tie. RageUnleashed is close enough to DeathslayAR72 to be pushing it a little, imo. You don't wanna risk turning off the rare hypercritical twat like me who rolls his eyes at ultra hardcore-sounding nicknames. wink.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    hell poop has a job, thats gotta say something right there... seriously doesn't matter, I've had people call me up and ask for Mr. Rockstar, i don't think anyone is going to make up their mind about hiring you or not based on your email name, unless its like "FREE pr0n, signup now!!!!" or something like that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I use my initial.lastname@gmail.com for "serious" emails, but I still sign them all with my nickname as well as my real name. It's only my hotmail account that has a really lame address (i named it... 5 years ago), but the only people who really get that are my friends, so I'm safe.
    Me and my brother got our surname.co.uk, which we both have email addresses at, too, but we don't use that much - too much damn spam. Arseholes!
    Back on topic... I don't think it really matters, as others have said, if someone has a kickass portfolio and is emailing from "lasergunDeSTRoYeR2045@yahoo.com", I don't think they'll refrain from hiring them...
    That said, if your online handle or email address is extremely offensive, people might assume you're an asshole. Then again, I don't know anyone who has such an offensive handle.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    All 3 of my full time jobs, and my 4 contract jobs I have sent emails from poop at poopinmymouth.com

Let your work speak for itself. If anyone doesn't want to work with me based on my email address, I garantee they would be too stuffy for me to get along with. Serves as a good filter. Its when people email me back with how funny they think my email addy is that I know I will really get along well.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Ok I am changing my name to 'mr king kong bollocks'
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Damn I was gonna use that name Ruz.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I remember poop once crited one of my portfolio shots here on polycount, there was a dumpster with ametal lid. He told me it doesn't matter that there 'are' dumpsters that look like the one in my scene, the point is what people were going to expect, what helps people read the scene. He was right.

I think that lesson applies here. Always respond with the goal in mind. The goal in this case is to land a paying gig . So respond accordingly.

-R
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Just dont have "yourgamecompanysuxmycock@hotmail.com" and I think you'll be fine. wink.gif