Home General Discussion

Acts of God

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Just skim-reading through the EULA of World Of Warcraft, I noticed that in one part they abdicate responsibility for matters arising from "Acts of God, war, riot or embargoes".

Bill Bailey also brought this up in his stand-up comedy show, "Part Troll"... when signing forms for a hire car, he noticed it cost more to upgrade the insurance to provide for, among other things, "Acts of God".

So, what I'm wondering is - what constitutes an Act of God? Would it qualify if an angel floated down out of the sky and ripped the doors off your car? How about if Jesus Christ wandered into my room and formatted my hard drive because I'd been playing too much World of Warcraft? Lightning bolts destroying my internet connection?

Who defines these acts? Surely in this day and age, it would make sense to replace this archaic term with "Acts of Nature", or something similar.

Anyway, I personally don't believe in God. So how can I be insured against or responsible for something that there is no proof for?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Have you ever seen "The Man Who Sued God"?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Billy Connolly film? No, I haven't.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Act of God is the legal term for natural events (usually disasters). I think its a part of Force Majeure along with war, riot etc.
    To make it really clear it has nothing to do with god as such apart from its name.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyway, I personally don't believe in God. So how can I be insured against or responsible for something that there is no proof for?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a strange question. What does belief have to do with it? If I decide I don't believe in automobile accidents, that doesn't mean I won't be in one anyway or that I cannot/should not have auto insurance. Natural disasters, inexplicable events and similar are sometimes generically classified as acts of God. If you don't have act of God insurance because you're an atheist, so be it, but lets hope your home is immune to tornados and lightning bolts and meteors and earth quakes and whatever other events migh occur in which you don't have anyone you can sue for damages. Faith isn't a requirement for practical protection, regardless of what the terminology used is.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    MoP, you may not believe in a Supreme Being, but it sure as shootin' believes in you, man. Just try not to attract It's attention... you don't wanna know.

/jzero
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Typhoons, tornadoes, lightning, volcanoes, etc. It would really suck for them if the earth opened up in a huge earthquake (Blizzard is in California) and swallowed all of Blizzard, with the exception of two guys, then those two guys, (who are now the entire company) get sued by gamers for not supporting their product. That's what the clause is there to prevent.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, I've done an oXYnary and not made myself clear...
    I know what "Acts of God" are (as others define it)... but why should typhoons, tornadoes, lightning, volcanes etc. be called Acts of God? Those are acts of nature, of weather systems.
    Having "Acts of God" clauses, automatically assumes everyone believes in God, and may attribute natural earthly effects to this vaguely-defined supernatural being. I would be a lot more comfortable with it if it said "Acts of Nature" instead of "Acts of God". It's more specific, too.

Toomas: Yep - so why call it Acts of God at all, if it has nothing to do with deities or so-called supreme beings? That's making all sorts of crazy assumptions...

Vermilion: Sorry, you're right, I shouldn't have mentioned my beliefs. However, others should not inflict their beliefs on me via contracts and so forth!
    Anyway, your argument for belief is kinda redundant. Sure, someone can choose not to believe in automobile accidents, but what are they going to say if you stand them near a couple of occupied vehicles, and arrange a collision? Automobile accidents are a fact of life, you see them on TV, if you're in the right place (or the wrong place) at the right time, then you can witness one firsthand.
    I'd like to see you try to introduce me to God (or in fact, give any proof at all!). You can't use belief in automobile accidents as a comparison to belief in religious deities, the comparison just doesn't work at all.
    Basically what I was getting at was, why call it "Acts of God" at all? That might make no sense at all to some people. Is there a big list somewhere of which phenomenons (I'm assuming most natural disasters) fall under this ominous catch-all deity category?
    The "faith" isn't my problem with it, people can believe what they want to believe. The terminology is precisely the problem I have with it! Do you see where I'm coming from?

jzero: If you say so wink.gif

Ryno: Yup. I understand that. I just want to know why it's called "Acts of God", and not anything else? Why can't it be "Acts of Satan"? Natural disasters are evil, after all! Why not blame them on an essentially nonexistant evil being?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    You better watch out MoP or mr God is going to strike you down for bad mouthing him on a message board. If you had read the EULA before being born you would have seen that what you have done is worse than murder, deception or grabbing girls arses after a few too many pints.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I think it may be more of a general catch-all term. I used to work for a security company and for everything that happened we had to record a detailed log of what happened and how we responded to it. There were codes for pretty much everything you can think of, and there was one for Act of God. I can't remember what happened, but there was a time when something happened, wasn't weather related, that we didn't have a code for, so the person recorded it as an Act of God.

Changing it to Act of Nature would limit it to only nature related events. Usually it's only really applied to weather related events, but in case something comes up that you don't have an explanation for, or at least a better description, act of god would cover it. I think it's generally used at the end of a list of specific events, and then act of god covers anything else not listed that's not under your control. I don't believe in any god either, but I think the definition of a god and the supposed capabilities is more what applies. Whether or not there is a god that caused this event is irrelevant.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you had read the EULA before being born you would have seen that what you have done is worse than murder, deception or grabbing girls arses after a few too many pints.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    SpongeBob SquarePants is an Icon for gay men. I feel we should nuke China and replace the UN with members of Sesame Street.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Now be happy insurance companies don't believe in fate or everything would be an Act of God. But you could sue God for damages...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Paul, I totally understand what you're saying and agree. It's simply time to rethink the outdated wording. It's terminology that is ambiguos not to mention innacurate based on your beliefs. And surely Tom, what you believe does enter into this debate? Since the people at insurance companies who adopted this phrase many moons ago clearly did so on the basis of their beliefs right? 'Acts of nature' would be more appropriate I would think.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    An Act of God is like when I fart and everybody magically leaves the room.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I doubt the wording will be updated Mop, I mean , the game comes from America, they're really keen on God here. smile.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    and then i take them to court and argue that they have no proof god did it and win.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Back in the old days, anything that couldn't be explained was simply attributed to god. Where do you go when you die? Heaven, with god. What the heck are those bright light flashes coming out of the sky? Zeus' thunderbolts. This is a pretty easy explanation for anything that can't be understood, and is pretty common in various cultures. For whatever reason, with regards to natural disasters, the old catch-all description "act of god" is still used. And yes, I agree that it is quite outdated.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    And surely Tom, what you believe does enter into this debate? Since the people at insurance companies who adopted this phrase many moons ago clearly did so on the basis of their beliefs right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once upon a time, I'd have thought so. Somewhere along the line, I realized it doesn't matter. I mean, this isn't an issue of faith, it's one of semantics. I know what the clause means, you know what the clause means, MoP knows what it means, so the wording is frankly irrelevant. Insurance companies the world over could unanimously decide to rename it acts of flubblylubblies. Words aren't significant on their own but only when we agree upon their meaning, and if we all agree upon what "acts of god" or "acts of flubblylubblies" is referring to, the particular words we use to accomplsih the task aren't something I get my panties in a bunch over. I mean, I *do* believe in God, but I don't think an earthquake that flattens my house is a divine act any more than MoP does, so the wording is just as irrelevant to me.

But so what? I'm more worried about bullshit money-wasting lawsuits from fame-seeking atheists about the Pledge of Allegience or that the current administration will use faith-based initiatives in trying to amend the US Constitution to forbid gay marriage. Once something becomes politicized, it's an issue. Is that really what you'd want here, a nation- or planet-wide handwringing to get this old-fashioned and impotent piece of text updated to a new-fashioned and impotent piece of text? No one is oppressing atheists with this - it's much ado about nothing.

*edit*

For the record, I'm not saying that the phrase isn't outdated or inaccurate, I'm saying that using an outdated and inaccurate phrase to define something we all fully understand is just fine. No one has doornails in their doors anymore, and I expect most people don't even really know what one is. Should we abolish the phrase "dead as a doornail" from our language because it's an antiquated reference? How many phrases do we have like that in English? Remember, this isn't about religion, this is about semantics...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i think the worst thing is the fuzzyness of the term...
    i heard a story of a person that lost there house to a strainge type of lightning called ball lightning , and act of god didnt cover it ... even tho i would think for somthing that is unexplained act of god sounds about right ...
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And surely Tom, what you believe does enter into this debate?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was directed at me? If thats the case then i dont really think i said anything about what i belive. And if its not the case then just ignore this confused.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Toomas, no, he was talking to Vermilion smile.gif

Vermilion: Heh, I know what you mean. It is really just a tiny minor detail, but I still think it'd be worth a change.

On a tangent, and a lighter note, how about we try to "fix" outdated catchphrases to bring them up to date and relevent to the modern world?

So, we could do something like this:

Acts of God = Natural Occurences
    "Dead as a doornail" = "Dead as a Dodo" - everyone knows what a Dodo is! How about "Dead as a dinosaur" ?
    "Bent as a nine bob note" = ... etc. smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bent as a pewter ducket smile.gif

I love old sayings that are irrelevant today, they tend to have much more character than modern expressions and just make me laugh.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I think we need sepperate words for those who are atheists, and those who subscribe to the Aetheist Religion(tm) which says you must complain about and/or be offended by anything in your world that hints that there are other religions.

Yay agnosticism.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    shittin' in high cotton...

tighter'n Dick's hatband...

like a duck on a junebug...

I still use those more than I care to remember smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ror: Heh, true... I still like a lot of the old ones. However, these days it's getting harder to find people who know what the hell you're talking about. Which is actually why I try to use obscure words as often as I can!

Dukester: In what instance would you use "like a duck on a junebug"? How big is a junebug? Can it support the weight of a duck?

How about "Safe as houses"... in this day and age, many houses aren't actually that safe!

There's always the good ol' Blackadder ones - "As cunning as a fox that's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Cunning University."
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't junebug slang for the Japanese Beetle?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The phrase "a duck on a junebug" means to jump at it with great eagerness, as ducks really like to eat junebugs. My grandfather uses so many of these sort of expressions that I think he can hold an entire conversation with nothing else. Some of the more interesting ones include "like Grant took Richmond" (American Civil War reference, charging through something with great vigor), "colder than a welldigger's ass in the Klondike" (self-explanatory), "slicker than snot on a doorknob" (also self-explanatory), and my all-time favorite, "like thin shit through a tin horn" (used to describe something that moves really fast, which I guess thin shit is wont to do laugh.gif)

And yes, Japanese beetles are a type of junebug.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad we could turn this into something fun and educational smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop: If you enjoy when people don't understand you, you should move here one day. They don't understand a word I say here unless I spell it out and talk reaallll sloooow. smile.gif

Apparently, I'm very amusing to them when I get angry and curse in my own language / accent again though they understand the words no more than normal, the attitude behind it is crystal clear!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I tried some broad Geordie on Eli and Ben when we were in San Francisco... they just fell about laughing because they didn't understand a word of it! Then again, some Brits can't even understand broad Geordie...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    A bit of a thread derailment sorry, but seeing as its gone that way allready and we thrashed out MoPs issues with God, I figure it doesn't matter smile.gif

Even after almost 5 years Im still often completely misunderstood. So dont expect it to improve Ror. Still, there is some value to people not understanding you sometimes. Just the other day, a dev. director at work was asking me something about the project, and I kept replying "well the values go from nought to seven". He kept asking me to repeat and I kept saying it louder each time. He was just looking at me with his head cocked sideways like a dog, desperately trying to understand me. Eventually he just wandered off muttering something about nevermind and asking someone else.

It was only afterward I realised the beauty of it all. He of course had no clue what nought was. Funny, Im gonna use it all the time now.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I realised that people won't ever pick up much early one. I get a laugh out of calling them a bunch of bum chums and harry hooftas and cock jockeys or glaiket wee scunners wi a face like a bulldog licking pish aff a neetle.

I like my laughs cheap and nasty, I admit it!

Likewise, I will say 'ach' on demand as long as they will say 'yuuuup' for me smile.gif

I'll always just be a cross between Shrek and groundskeeper wullie in their eyes, but thats fine as long as they realise they'll always be a Bill Hicks stereotype of the southerners to me smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    They don't understand a word I say here unless I spell it out and talk reaallll sloooow. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA! laugh.gif Get 'er done!

@Mop: i think they should change it to "an act of one of the gods" just to piss off both sides of the arguement. personally I agree with "act of nature".