Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] playermodel

motives
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motives polycounter lvl 18
Alright so here it is. First post on polycount and i thought i start out with a wip smile.gif

Anyways, this is my first playermodel and i wanted to hear what you guys have to say about him. Im interested in what you think of the mesh in general and what kind of changes i should do in terms of optimising for a better model and/or easier rigging.

he currently stands at 3500 polygons (our budget is 4000)
playermodel_wip.jpg

tnxs /Mo

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    His lowerarms look very thin from the side and the helmet has a strange shape.

Oh and welcome wink.gif
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    The edges for the pelvis area look . . . strange. I think it would be a good idea to add some more polygons there; to my eyes it doesn't look like it would deform properly, especially without so few polies on the behind.

It doesn't look like it would deform well around the elbows either. Another loop of edges there and some tweaking to the back of the arm could correct that.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnxs for the comments sofar guys

here is a small update where i changed the helmet and worked some on the arm and the shape of it.

i also did some changes to the pelvis/rear region as slipstream suggested but i donno about them.. havin a hard time getting it "right"

playermodel_wip3.jpg

err and yea i know the hand is kinda messed up hehe.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the main problem is proportion
    i think the torso is like half a head too long
    and there should deffinately be more width around the waist
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    His stance needs work. That slightly bent thing looks like hes about to squat. Even with the padding his back could use some s-curve. Also the sleeves and pant legs look very stiff, although it looks like you're going for cloth there, you should try and make the loops look a tad more like they're wrinkling around his muscles. His head and helmet are just a bit too egg shaped. I think it can be optimized quite a bit as well, some of the edges look a bit wasteful.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oki.. back with another update (hope im not boring you guys
    smirk.gif)

@ makova: tnxs grin.gif

Anyways. Here i have tried to work on the things Rage pointed out. Stance - straightened him up abit and tried to achieve a more dynamic pose. pulled arms back abit and pulled his chest out.
    his original stance came from my crappy modelsheet.. will have to work on my basic pose a bit i guess.
    I have also tried to make his clothing more dynamic. gave the arms some shape and also some on his pants. The torso has also received some tweaking, tried to make it wider at the waist and also widen his shoulders a bit. I havnt changed the height of the torso tho, to me the proportions he got with the wider chest works pretty well.

hmm thats about it, havnt gotten around to optimising yet.

playermodel_wip4.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good. I'd still straighten up the stance a little If i were you. PLus it feels like you need to fill out his middle back. The boots look a little cartoony so you might want to look at the bulbousness of the boot cap and shape of the sole. Shoes arent really symmetrical If you split them down the middle but more kidney shaped. Also worth noting that the SAS dont wear standard issue British Army boots, but a softer boot as shown below. From the side his pelvis/butt area is looking a bit thin I think.

Personally I would lose the helmet since you very rarely see the Special Air Service wearing helmets. The hood over the gas mask is a VERY signature look for them. Your model feels more U.S SWAT with the helmet to me.

SAS9.jpg

Heres some ref I had from when I built an SAS player model eons ago:

http://home.comcast.net/~dpattenden/images/SAS.zip
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnxs for the pics daz!
    very solid reply overall i must say tongue.gif

anyways, im back with another update.. not sure what to say about this one, just been tweakin alot of stuff, changed his shoes and modeled the alternative head w/o gasmask.

About the helmet i actually did model it with hood at first but that was a nogo with the teamleader.

sas_wip.jpg

close to final.. any crits, comments, suggestion b4 i start the unwrapping?