Home General Discussion

Rant about games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
Really i want to hear what sorts of games you wish were being made , what genres are forgotten , are you like so many others getting tired of copycat FPS , RTS and sport games .... with the odd RPG thrown in ...

I find that more and more now days im going back to try and find old games i enjoyed playing .. often on really old platforms , like the c64 , mega drive and snes.. as well as some titles on the pc (back in 386 and 486 days)

Some of my favourite games have been things like Paradroid , Elite , marble madness , Mercenary (and second city), shining force 1 & 2 , gauntlet , warhead , gradius , .... the list goes on , but it seems im finding it hard to find games i like , and games that have long last-ability are even less common.

i know publishers cant release risky titles that might not sell ...

so , what games would you guys like to see made? and what genres are under developed?

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    There aren't enough Pirate games. Specifically Pirate Memory Games, Ages 4-6.

I'd like a good cowboy game, and I'd like to play any of the games that I designed, even Pingu. In fact, the Pingu design I worked on was probably the most "fun" design I've been involved with.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    "and what genres are under developed?"

How about "none of the above"?
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm dying for an adventure game with a good story and loads of humor. Basically old LucasArts adventures smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I loved ONI, and I always wanted that genre to get more attention. 3rd person combo/fighter. I really wanted it to have multiplayer.

I personally don't think any genre has been overdone. I think too many games have been made without good planning, funding, staffing, and execution. Give any game "genre" to the right people, and give them the time and money they need, and you would come out with an awesome fun to play game.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    What RTS really need is a seperation of single player and multiplayer, like it happend with FPS a few years back.

A pure multiplayer RTS could actually focus on balancing very different sides (the only game that got both righ to this day; balance and different sides; was Starcraft frown.gif ) instead of doing crappy AI with an even crappier sp campain.
    And sp RTS wouldn't need to worry about balance at all.

Otherwise:
    Coop games in general are lacking and a FPS with less shooting and more puzzle solving (preferable with a great physics engine; think HL2 Garry's Mod in an actual game).
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Poop : Go Bungie! You may or may not know that there was a ton and a half of controversy inside Bungie (pre-Microsoft) about Oni multiplayer. The guy driving the project quit because the other honchos didn't want to hold the game back, they couldn't get the close-in fighting to work with the online lag factor. At least, that's what I remember about it. After playing Bloodrayne, I wondered if Oni wasn't the first game to feature the fight-and-shoot combination. Do ya know?

I'd like to see a first-person game with less outright kill-or-be-killed, and more exploration and problem-solving. Not necessarily puzzle-solving, though, I'd like to be confronted with problems that I can improvise with and use stuff from the environment to help me, rather than hack around trying to find the single 'right answer'.

/jzero
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jzero - sorta like deus-ex , but more of .??
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'd like to see more RPG's where the focus lies on playability and plot rather than on annoying party micro-management and random battling in your standard midddle-age scenario.

i recently played FFX (first encounter with FF for me, apart from the movie) and was simply blown away by playability, story development and of course the crazy designs. unfortunately, not every developer has pockets as deep as square but at least it's clear that it wasn't just luck which made this series of games become so popular.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i definately always like the abilety to edit of creat things that exsist ingame .. like in rpgs creating characters and relationships , and in some games , the abilety to customise elements of the world ... i remember spending ages painting my own character faces for dungeon master 2 ... i wonder what could be done with that 2d sprite driven type game , like eye of the beholder ... there could be masses of characters and lovely draw visuals on todays hardware ....
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see a first-person game with less outright kill-or-be-killed, and more exploration and problem-solving. Not necessarily puzzle-solving, though, I'd like to be confronted with problems that I can improvise with and use stuff from the environment to help me, rather than hack around trying to find the single 'right answer'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I ment, like you are in a store full of stuff, and know that you will get attacked by lets say veloceraptors (like in JurrasicPark)in a few minutes, but you don't really have the firepower to fight them of.
    Now all you can do is to improvise with all sorts of stuff to build traps, weapons, getaway "vehicles" etc... this would probably be fun in multiplayer as coop and not coop also (you build your base offline and then the attacking team can try to beat you; for the kids it could be called "HomeAlone" tongue.gif).
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tresspasser was good , that had a very early phisics engine , and you could pick up bits of wood and stuff to hit raptors with ... very fun ... i even tryed to surf a car wreck down a mountain side later on in the game ....
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    JK: MacGyver, the game!
    And for a multiplayer-only strategy game (with bots, though), ever tried Arena Wars?

jzero: Metroid Prime focusses less on fighting and more on exploration than most FPSes. Or is that still too much fighting?
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    anyone else besides me waiting for starcraft 2?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    JK: MacGyver, the game!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know blush.gif

Arena wars isn't really my thing though.

For anyone waiting for Starcraft2 (like me wink.gif ) "Armies of Exigo" might be worth a try... it is a mixture from Warcraft3 and Starcraft with Blizzard quality.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actaully, about 2 years ago I wrote a design for an A-team game. It would have ben a bit like GTA, with "episodes". Each episode would include several missions, you'd switch between team members etc., as each would have special skills (Driving ability, flying ability, planning, stealing etc.)

As missions progressed you would find components for building their trademark vehicle weapons, and get several sets of plans. So you could build a simple weapon like an icecrem van with a gun, or by doing more exploring you could end up with a school buss tank that fired tennis balls and had a mobile helipad on it.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would there be cigars? and people walking away from exploding helicopter crashes.
    i love the idea of being able to make some vehicles ....

one of the mission objective should be to find some milk to give to BA
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With drugs in it, so that he can get on a plane.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Funny... The whole thing about McGuyver/improvisation-based gameplay reminds me of Square's "The Incredible Machine" which is in my top5 list of fav games ever... and which brings back what to what Thermidor says about the golden 386 age.

Okay go to go, still have a few TIM puzzles to solve smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Sierra's, not Square's.