Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

needing help with texturing >_<

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
ok well im very new to texturing, heres a model and skin that ive been working on lately. ive got the muscles down (even tho my anatomy is a bit off im sure) it looks how i want it to. and im REALLY happy with how the boots turned out. this is my first decent attempt at skinning a model.

but im stuck with the bandages on his arms, i dont know how to make them look very good :S

wip5dn.jpg

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    One thing you should be doing before painting something unfamiliar is a little bit of research and scavenging.

http://images.google.com is your friend for this type of stuff.

bandage.jpeg
    band5.jpg
    bandage.jpg

That said, you're really only using 1 colour for the low-lights that are defining the shadows on the bandages and where the strips overlap one another. I'd say go even darker with it (but keep the brown that you have). It looks like you're using some sort of canvas texture for an overlay already which is really helping the overall look.

Hope this helps smile.gif
  • dig dog dig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dig dog dig polycounter lvl 18
    Your off to a great start, I like the texture of the muscle fibres.

With the muscle areas try to mix in some complementary colours, purple and grey in the shadows and perhaps a slight bit of pink into the highlights. Overall it's looking a little flat atm, I'd suggest using a dark blue-grey to shade where muscles cast shadows on each other and add some specular highlights to the creases where the muscle groups join/intersect.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    got some help with the bandages from my friend Enix laugh.gif thanks buddy.

wip4zj.jpg
  • Dhin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhin polycounter lvl 18
    Dude I always loved just how buff Raz looks even though he's a withering corpes
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    razdone5qh.jpg

closeup of the head.
    wip24vn.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Something about how the legs meet the waist (texture wise) doesnt really link up.

Also I would suggest going back into the skin and adding in some more datils here and there, little things to make it seem less like he's got brushed metal for skin, and more like muscle tissue.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    you need to pint in an underlight, or just take your texture and add some dynamic lighting in and render the lighting information in to save your self some time. Other than that you might want to think about using others colors other than just blue and white to give him more volume. black and white done make volume comp colors do. Hope that helps some.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    you should make the alpha channel,for the wings, slightly gray so that way the wings are kinda seethrough, also on that note I know you see the floating edges at the tips of where you made the wings jagged...use the erasor tool near the edge of the part you want to be seethrough so that you can make sure that is all gone. also the forhead seems really tall. and the eyes too...squint them allittle. other than that not too much from me. I like the muscle tone and the overall model looks good.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The biggest thing I notice is that the volumes are all kind of shallow. Zoom out to game distance and this guy blurs together into a blue mud. Make a new layer set to soft light or overlay, and using a deep royal blue go in and darken some of the really deep recesses. Create a new layer on screen and put in some nice light teal highlights on some of the largest volumes, like the pecs and the illiac crest (edge of the pelvic bone).

Try to make it still read from further away.