Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

One Day Textured Tank

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
Seeing the great feedback I got on my handpainted attack chopper, I felt like trying to retexture my tank in one day. The original texture is complete ass, so I felt like giving it a facelift after shooting the actual tank (german Leopard Tank) at the Isaeli tank Museum in Latrun. This is not intended to be an accurate replica of the actual tank.

Its a quick job, spent about 8 hours total. I originally made this for an indy game called Waco Ressurection, and now it matches the other vehicles. Could use some more love in areas, but its sooo much better, me thinks...

Crits most welcome, as this is also going into my portfolio.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
Original model is here
http://www.dabudesign.com/tank/tank1.jpg

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    very nice improvement! nothing to crit springs to mind, looks pretty sturdy to me
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not a bad days work. The texture does look very photosourced with all the jpg compression artifacts all across it, though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Nice work.
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    I like your model, but i personally dont prefer photosourced textures, however, you should sharpen the metal at the edges.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the respones, yall!

Yeah I prefer to paint when I have the time, but all the other vehicle models in this game were textured from photos as well, so I wanted the tank to match them style wise. I also wanted to see how fast I am, and how much I've changed as an artist in a year. I feel that I'm much stronger as a modeler.

I tend to compress the crap out of the pics I post here to try to cut down on space, so they look a lot choppier/artifacted online, but some of the areas do look pretty fuzzy. Omar, what do you mean by sharpen the edges? Like make the crease harder and reduce the hi lite?

heres some of the other vehicles from the game:

mog1.jpgfleet1.jpg
  • LtEthe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LtEthe polycounter lvl 18
    Really strong work here dabu. My only crit is the utilization of a symmetrical camo pattern. Camoflage is supposed to break up the outline and destroy patterns, symmetry is a pattern unto itself. I know you've done it to maximize your texture space, but it's still offsetting.
    Very nice vehicles though, good stuff.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    That's some sweet low-poly love, dabu! I just wish I could create a texture like that in 8 hours smile.gif
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    aw you guys *blush*

LtEthe, right on. Yeah I would love to retexture this thing across 2 512 maps and make it asymmetrical, but I just didn't have the time. I spent minimal time remapping it. Though looking at the 2 textures I created, it would be pretty easy to spread it across to another 512.

cheers youn guys!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Overall, pretty nice.
    I think the "Buck Fush" statement is bit childish though. We all know you really mean by it, and politics should not come into games in that manner.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    One thing that really stands out to me, is the blue cast from the photos. You should figure out how to level that out, or using hue variation and color ballance, take the colors to a more neutral. Nothing wrong with using photos, but you don't want them to scream photo.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    fair nough, poop. I want the tank to match the mog, whcih seems a lot more blue now that I look at it. needs some p shop love.

Vassago, that was a bumper sticker on the original model, but I have omitted that piece of geo in the new model, I just forgot to delete that layer in the new textures.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    well, the only thing that bugs me is the total lack of accurcy, and correct shape. but since it's a fast job, and you specifically said it's all done in 8 hours, i'll let my comments pass.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Actually deja, I would love you to rip it apart. Theres no better place to get feedback on this stuff.

At first, I needed a reference so I bought a model tank at the hobby shop, the leopard was the closest thing they had to a modern looking tank, most of it was older WW2 era stuff.

I made the model from that and the original textures, well, I sorta pulled them out of my ass. Then I saw the actual tank at the museum and was stoked to actually climb all over one of them.

The leopard is actually the one in the background.

tanklove.jpg