Home General Discussion

you know that was cool

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sundance polycounter lvl 18
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantastic_four/

okay, going to be cliche here, but hell, yeah, this is FANTASTIC!!

torch flames and flies!
thing is thing!
reed stretches!
sue does forcefields

and no rogeer corman!!

roll on july!!!

Replies

• iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    I'm skepitcal of it especially with ben afleck in it. he doesn't fit the role too well in my opinion. all that I remember of reed richards is that he's in his forties or older. never really read the comic too much, mostly the old campy 60's cartoon laugh.gif
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Werd! Lookin' forward to it boyeeeeeee! grin.gif
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think that's Ben Affleck.

http://tinyurl.com/5fdea
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    seems like an okay cast, though I'd like to see George Clooney playing Mr. Fantastic. But Michael Chiklis is a great choice for The Thing.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Thats not Affleck. I can't remember his name (Griffids maybe?) anyway he is a Bond candidate!

Looks great to me, but so did the Hulk trailer.
    I'm hoping its as good as the eye-candy trailer suggests!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, this doesnt look too good in my opinion. I always enjoyed the comic, and it sadly looks like I'm going to be dissappointed with this one.
    I hope I'm wrong!

EDIT: I really enjoyed and liked the Hulk btw. The editing and visual style was awe inspiring. I LOVED how they took their time introducing the characters, and that we had a slow 1st 1/2 of the movie. Most others didnt...
    Then again, Hulk is one of my top favorite comic characters.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    FFS - why do they have to change so much shit that doesn't need to be changed? Check out the cast from IMDB:

Ioan Gruffudd .... Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic
    Michael Chiklis .... Ben Grimm/The Thing
    Jessica Alba .... Susan Storm/The Invisible Woman
    Chris Evans .... Johnny Storm/The Human Torch

Anyone else see anything wrong with the character names here?

[edit]
    nm - I forgot that Sue Storm was Johnny Storm's <u>sister</u> before she became Reed Richard's <u>wife</u>.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, isn't the Invisible Woman supposed to be Reed Richards' wife?

nvm...you edited your response :-P
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't The Invisible Woman quite a bit older than Jessica Alba? Like 30 or so?
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, this doesnt look too good in my opinion. I always enjoyed the comic, and it sadly looks like I'm going to be dissappointed with this one.
    I hope I'm wrong!

EDIT: I really enjoyed and liked the Hulk btw. The editing and visual style was awe inspiring. I LOVED how they took their time introducing the characters, and that we had a slow 1st 1/2 of the movie. Most others didnt...
    Then again, Hulk is one of my top favorite comic characters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then again the hulk was never one of my fav's (unless he was guest starring in someone elses book!) the movie was okay, I didn't hate it I actually enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it like I enjoyed Daredevil not like I enjoyed the Spiderman and Xmen movies!

I'm just curious as to what about the trailer you didn't like? It seemed to pretty much parallel the original origin book. It looked about like I expected, nothing there to give me any false hope except the track record.

I kinda wish someone would make a movie of an established comic book character and then just give us a snippet of the origin and then get right to the story.

I guess that would be a good formula for Justice League or The Avengers wink.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I don't really care for any of the casting besides Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm.
    He's a good personality for it, and a good actor...but I think The Thing should have been all CG.

Doctor Doom was not on board the ship when they gained their powers either. Doctor Dooms powers are a combination of magic & technology.

And...the cinematic spectacle in those shots just doesn't seem to do the comic justice in my opinion. I know that's fairly vague & nebulous, but that's the only way I can think to describe my opinion.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't really care for any of the casting besides Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm.
    He's a good personality for it, and a good actor...but I think The Thing should have been all CG.

Doctor Doom was not on board the ship when they gained their powers either. Doctor Dooms powers are a combination of magic & technology.

And...the cinematic spectacle in those shots just doesn't seem to do the comic justice in my opinion. I know that's fairly vague & nebulous, but that's the only way I can think to describe my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I didn't really notice anything about Dr Doom being on any ship I just noticed that we didnt get a very good look at him.

IMO I thought the Thing effects (having the truck run into him) and the Torch effects were absolutley up to snuff.

As far as the casting goes...

They all seem like perfect casting. Johnny is a early 20 something hothead. His sister is older but still a generic blonde character and Reed was older, but he didn't start out an old stodgey character, he was just older.

I think a trailer of clips with a generic alt rock sound track is not enough to base any judgement on other than "Oh cool effects! Let's hope the movie turns out as good as the clips!"
    I can appreciate you apprehension, but let's wait until we see the real deal!
    Remember, I think it's gonna be a busy superhero month! Doesn't (the hopefully correct) Batman come out the at the same time!
    I can't stand summer and hot weather, but I am looking forward to this summer!
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I didn't really notice anything about Dr Doom being on any ship

[/ QUOTE ]

On July 4th, five people will be changed 4 ever. One will be evil. 4 will be fantastic.

Hmm, four of the astronauts are standing together in a line, and the fifth is sitting in a big chair by himself, laughing. Hmmmm.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    How can you dislike a movie just because of Ben Affleck, considering the fact that Ben Affleck isn't even in the fucking movie!!!?

And I wouldn't consider that a generic alt rock sound track. Tool and APC have made their mark by avoiding the generic label. Good choice for the trailer I believe, but not sure how the song itself fits into the movie. Perhaps the soundtrack as a whole would sound generic. Appears to be the trend in Hollywood.

I never followed the comic. The movie looks appealing so far. I'm satisfied with the design of The Thing. Human actors can still achieve more.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Jessica Alba makes any movie worth watching :P
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i had the leaked promo trailer that had the actors talk about the movie. I'll put it back up on my site and give you guys the link to it.

I don't think I'll like this movie. Especially since Doom's mask is a disease that ends up covering his face with a metal-like mask... lame.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some of this is based on the ULTIMATE fantastic 4 comic, like the fact that victor is with them when they get changed and that truck crashing into the thing is straight out of UF4 #2 (well, okay, in the comic it was in mexico, but, the way it's shot...)
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tubboy polycounter lvl 18
    OMFG, Shoot yeah. THat will rock. Hell, I am not even that familiar with the comics and it looks fantasitc.

Thanks for posting this sundance
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    You comic nerds need to lighten up! Try to be more objective. Ya can't make up your mind not to like it months in advance. Sheesh! Well you can but.....sheesh!! confused.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

On July 4th, five people will be changed 4 ever. One will be evil. 4 will be fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm it did say that! too much work related chatter going on when I watched it, oh well.

it still looks cool smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the hulk was never one of my fav's (unless he was guest starring in someone elses book!) the movie was okay, I didn't hate it I actually enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it like I enjoyed Daredevil not like I enjoyed the Spiderman and Xmen movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, Duke. I even bought The Hulk DVD (used). The story is slow but I still love the CG.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't give a crap about the nay-sayers, hulk is a brilliant movie. you really needed the slow burn, not only to get a handle on who banner is, and all the repressed rage, but also so that when he DOES hulk-out, it has an impact.

i also don't give a snot about the nay-sayers who diss daredevil, that movie was bitching. *off to see elektra saturday...*
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    My only wish was that the Fantasic Four movie get done in 'period' style -- do it swingin' 1963-style, harking back to when they WERE the greatest comics magazine.

Plot details don't matter as much to me, as much as the character dynamics. Will Ben and Johnny be squabbling children? Will Reed be so smart that he rambles on about stuff nobody else gets? Will Sue be everyone's super-mom? (actually, Helen Parr already out-Sue'd everybody) Will all Four be overwrought by having their lives messed up by super-powers? This will make or break the movie, for me, regardless of special effects.

That's what's been so great about X-Men and Spider-Man, the characters are all dead-on. It was a thrill to see the Mutant quandary of Xavier vs Magneto get played on screen so well in X2.

Here's hopin'.

/jzero
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    My only wish was that the Fantasic Four movie get done in 'period' style -- do it swingin' 1963-style, harking back to when they WERE the greatest comics magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

now that would be cool wink.gif