Home Technical Talk

newbie texture question

bryantrueno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bryantrueno polycounter lvl 18
hello, this is my first post. Can anybody give me a tip on blending skin from the uvmap so it doesnt look like theres a crease or line where the uvmap ends?
tom_render03.jpg
tom_texture01.jpg
Online Portfolio

Replies

• MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, it looks like you've run into the the ageold texturers problem: seams smile.gif

Now I'm by no means an expert (actully, I'm more of a modeler than a texturer...others here can give you much better advice) but I'll give it a shot.

First thing to do is have a clean UVmap. Meaning: unwrap your model in such a way that there are as few seams as possible, and those seams there are should be in inconspicuous places. Like for example on the inside of the thighs, or in an actual crease on the model, so the seams isn't that visible.
    This can be a bit tricky, and can sometimes be a tradeoff between fewer seams and sistortion on the uvmap...

Another technique is to kind of make your texture 'tile-able', like the texture for a brick wall: you try and make your texture in such a way that the one side of the seam and the other side meet in a way to minimise the seam (like having a brush-stroke stop at the edge of the uvmap and continue at the oposite side).

This is very general advice, and I hope I wrote it in a way which makes sense...but as I said, others here know a hell of a lot more on the subject (just ignre them when they say things like 'Deeppaint', or 'Ghostpainter', cos whilst those do work, they cost lotsa money too smile.gif).
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Simplest way is just to either use your eye dropper or clone-stamp tool to duplicate the colour from one UV chunk edge to another then. No need for fancy programs or techniques.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm quite a fan of 3d Painter plugin for max with this sort of stuff. Unfortunately theres no eyedropper built in, but I think you can get other plugins that do that

http://www.max3dstuff.com/max5/3dPainterPrototype/help.html