Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A WIP and an SDK: a UT2004 Hashashimi assasin.

MacD
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MacD polycounter lvl 18
'During the Crusades an ancient secret society was formed in the middle east, whose members were kept in a hashish induced haze in a secret, eden-like garden. They were surrounded by bountifull pleasures and were led to believe this was heaven, something their hashish-spiced food made all the easier.
Yet a dark price was demanded of them: the Hashishimi, as they came to be known, were only let out of their paradise to perform stealthy assasinations for their dark lord.

Now, millenia onwards, one of their rank has once more been set loose upon the world, this time to obtain victory in the Tournament. Hashish has been replaced with more powerfull and more advanced drugs, but the illusion of paradise remains...'

Uh...or something like that. Anyway, I've shown this model before, but now I've finally finished all the modeling and, more importantly, finally UVwrapped him smile.gif

He's 3318 tris large, with two 1024x1024 textures (one for the head and one for the body). He's fully built around the MercMaleA skeleton for UT2004, which is where he's heading (UT2004, that is) after I texture him and sort out some rigging irregularities.

Anyway, on to the pics:
front.jpg

sideleft.jpg

back.jpg

The textures are extremely temporary: I'm not sure this is the colour scheme I'll stick with, but I was just so glad I unwrapped this bastard that I had to put him up here smile.gif

There's also an SDK on the link underneath, for if anyone feels that need... . Hell, don't you think this model deserves to be let loose with at least one good skin? :P

I'm actually hoping some of you will take a look at it anyway, just to comment on the UV layout; I don't do too many characters (read: hardly any), so I'd really like some feedback from those who know on the layout/mirroring I've used.

One more caveat: the whole model is my own work, except for the left hand, which I stole from the MercMaleA model (it just saved me lots of time and effort I'd otherwise have had to stick in placement and/or dicking around with the weapon bone!) ...so much props to whoever made that at EPIC or DE.

Some more pics, some wires and an sdk (with the mesh in max6 format, .3ds format, texporter output as well as PSDpath output for both the head and body textures) can be found here:
http://macd.netfirms.com/hashashimi/index.htm

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Hey, hey you! you're like totally dead! oh shit man he ran away.. damn..
    I like the middle eastern/ninja look to the design, but I have to wonder if a bunch of stoners would make great asassins :P

looking forward to see how the skin goes, it would be really cool to see some middle-eastern style patterns mixed into the ninja theme
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    the hashashimi are real, rooster, it's where the word assassin derives from.

nice model
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe oops! I still wonder how they were effective asassins.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    They were damn effective. Killed a few kings and other high functionaries until they were destroyed by the crusaders' onslaught on their mountain hideout in Afghanistan (sounds a bit like that piece of history repeated recently, eh?).
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    His arm look to 'thin'
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Just a tiny little update during SAB (Study Avoiding Behaviour, or SOG, as it's known in dutch):

update_1.jpg

And wow...making skin (the actual pinkish stuff...or more accurately: the stuff which isn't really pink at all!) sucks! smile.gif

-edit-
    Hmmm...there's some funky compression thing going on where the scarf meets the torso; I know I'm not a texture artist, but I'm not /that/ bad! smile.gif
    I'll look into it and fix it next update...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the stuff which isn't really pink at all!

[/ QUOTE ]Particularly not on an Arab...

It might be nice to add some more middle eastern typed elements to your character in jewellery or clothing style or the like. At this stage he looks a bit too much like your standard issue ninja, which would be a bit of a waste given the interesting background you've got for him.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Thank, all! I'm planning on incorporating arabic text as a tattoo (one which says 'mother' on his arm :P), as well as for pathes on the clothing.
    The skin as shown is (of course) for the red team, but for the plain skin I'm planning to use that red lined, checkerpatterned arab sheik headdress motif on the draped cloth.

As for other eastern elements...it's a bit of a shame, 'cos after reading your comment and while goole-ing for references I got the idea of incorporating all kinds of architectural elements (the arches specifically, maybe even domes) into the model's clothing/armour (like arches for the elbow pads, the shoulderpads and the boot tops). But it just seems like a whole redesign would be in order to do that...I think that those kind of geometry specific changes will have to wait for a whole new model.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice model, For the texture, it looks like you are getting detailed waaaay to fast. I think you should use a huuge brush till you get the overall lighting down.