Home General Discussion

Resident Evil 4

SouL
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SouL polycounter lvl 18
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet.

This game is hands down one of the best looking and playing games I've ever played. I'm really, really amazed at what Capcom has been able to put together. Clearly the time spent on developement has really paid off.

I won't go into full details about the game... you can go and read reviews for yourself. This game alone is reason enough to buy a Gamecube.

resident-evil-4-20040924101402746.jpg

Get it now! Because evil Rasputin man says so.

RE4 is the game Doom 3 should've been.

Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I am waiting for the game to come out in europe. Its the only reason I still have my gamecube.. well that and the new Zelda.

;/
    Damn euro release dates!!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    YA I WANT IT, Im going to buy a gamecube in the next few days for it..
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    YA i'm b1ll lalala-la wink.gif someone buy me a tv, gamecube, the game and i'm all over it!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    omg U WISH U WERE, AHAHAH
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i have it, and i don't like it. i don't see what people like about it.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    hmm since snemmy has no money i might buy re4 this weekend...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Mishra, i'll take it off your hands then wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    finally got the time (and the spine) to sit down with this and play the first three chapters... i agree with you hands down, Soul. it's a really remarkable game that speaks to an incredible amount of polish in both the art but also the game it so wonderfully highlights. splattering heads has seldom been quite so enjoyable. and Soul i had no doubt that you would be as in love and amazed at the character models/textures as i was... the amount of juice they get out of the gamecube is really startling.

at EB they were handing out these 'making of RE4' dvds which were of course only like a 15 minute teaser trailer/interview thing... but the producer or someone like that commented how RE4 was a bid to both revitalize the series for fans of the series but also bring in all new fans... count me as the latter. never been a fan of the horrible control scheme for RE games, but RE4 is just a joy to play.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    its fucking wicked.

im having so much fun with it... ruining my good new pants. I bought a game cube for Metroid Prime, but im happy i get RE4 as well smile.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    SouL and his resident evil smile.gif

Actually, I saw the commerical and thought "damn that looks nice, I need to pick that up" D:
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with SouL, this game is fantastic.

The environments are probably the best I've seen on the current generation of consoles, as far as art fidelity is concerned. The artists who made this game are clearly at the top of the game, there's just so much love put into every little room. I thought Prime: Echoes had the best art direction I've seen on consoles, but RE4 is even more impressive. They just pull off the "exaggerated realism" look on the environments and characters so well. I bet most casual gamers will look at the game and say it looks like all the other RE games, without realizing that everything is rendered in real time now. An an artist working in this business, playing this game is a humbling experience.

And then there's the gameplay. Fun, challenging, and freaky as hell. With the typical campy RE storyline thrown in the make everything feel right. Ok, I'm done with this rant, but please do yourselves a favor and play it...
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Just out of curiosity. How many of you died during that one early scene in the game where you had to press the buttons? smile.gif
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    Because gauss brought his copy over saturday, we now own this game and it's all harl wants to do. So now instead of us fighting over the new PS2, we're fighting over the use of the TV because I want to finish Jak & Daxter and he wants to play RE4.

We need another tv soon, I think!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is game is absolutely amazing. It got me back into the franchise. I was a bit burnt out after the remakes. The controls have finally jumped to this generation. They are much more dynamic than in the past, but still have the Resident Evil feel to it. The sound is awesome, having a nice surround sound really pays off at the lake and in some other areas. The making of documentary that comes on that DVD Soul was taking about is actually the very same one as the one here:

http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1099

I'm only a few chapters into it at this point but I'm having a blast and so glad I was able to dust off the GameCube. Resident Evil 4 was the first game I got for the GameCube is about 8-10 months or so. Boss battles set a new level, and the graphics, sound, and controls are all top notch too.
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    I've only seen demos so far. Definitely waiting to get my hands on this one. I want to play through the first three before I grab it, though. I have RE1 and 0 in brand new, unopened cases on my game shelf right now, but first I have to get through Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (EXCELLENT, underrated game, by the way), then Halo 2.

Gawd! Poor Gamecube. It's SO SAD!!! Even Nintendo themselves fucking kills it by completely WASTING the online component, especially in games such as the Metroids, Prime and Echoes, that both SCREAM for it! In the words of Tycho

[ QUOTE ]
    When someone actually yokes the Gamecube and turns it to some prodigious task, it's capable of the most astonishing feats. Nintendo themselves tend to marshal its power mostly in the service of some cartoon ideal, and it is more than capable in that regard - but to say that it is the most underutilized system ever is to make an unassailable statement of pure truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I love my 'Cube.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed Resident Evil 4 is hands down one of the best games I've ever played. I thoroughly enjoyed it and everything about it. I beat the game in 19 hours and 18 minutes finishing this past sunday afternoon. It had almost 100% of my attention that whole weekend. I must say the story is insane...i was thinking how wow that rasputin looking guy is a bad ass and i assumed he was the right hand man and beating him would put me near the end of the game. Not even close. They just kept introducing one more bad ass after another and each time the character is just so cool and well thought out. Some of the environments were just mind blowing too the detail and visual beauty of them. Im playing thru a 2nd time right now. Once you beat it you can play thru again and unlock more stuff with harder difficulty. You also can buy an infinite rocket launcher from the merchant and a pistol called Matilda. Rocket Launcher is by far your best friend in this game and I highly suggest buying the merchant's treasure maps. You will find things you normally wouldn't have seen. Also upon beating the game a couple other games are unlocked to play completely outside of the single player game. I won't go into details because they would be considered spoilers. All I can say is if you haven't bought it yet, buy it and play it and then play it again.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Damnit, still so far away here...
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    gimmie it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I cant wait a few more months!!! frown.gif