Home General Discussion

Next_Gen EA Fight Night?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
How cool is that looking, looks like Daz's highpoly skills are gonna come in handy in realtime now.

Update Below....

Replies

• Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    im skeptical that that's real and not a guy photoshopped so hat he has no body.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    What would be the point of that, Mishra?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hhhmm, linky no worky
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya but you don't need the link, you get inside info smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I actually know very little about what they're up to with next gen. Im destined to work with the PS2 til I die frown.gif EA Canada seem to be in charge of all the cool next gen stuff so Whargoul might know more about this.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Broken link? Yes, I know some stuff about next-gen games wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    gemme a transfer.........
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone else uploaded the pics.

fight1.jpg

fight2.jpg

fight3.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that is close to photorealism (on still pictures). Looks even a bit better than the Unreal3 head.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive. I'd put money on that being a cyberscanned head.
    It's interesting that it doesn't appear to be normal mapped. I dont see any polygonal edges. So it seems they're thinking about skipping nmaps and going straight to high res geo? I guess for a boxing game there'd be no problem storing a couple models this high res in memory on next gen hardware. Or perhaps theres some realtime Subdivision happening.
    Care to elaborate Cody?! Or is this stuff not meant to be public domain yet?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The texturing is really impressive. I have doubts about that being a cyberscan. Sure the geo could be... but the textures aren't anything anyone would want to work with. Plus the texture itself doesn't seem to have that photo-slapped look. It looks like the lighting is doing quite a bit of work.... coupled with multipass textures along with it.

The geo could be high res... but I doubt it's subdivided. It doesn't have to be ultra smooth when you consider how low res TV resolutions (and those images) are.

Still incredibly impressive, though.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Even with TV resolutions and not great image quality allowed for, the density of geometry in say the ear, is very apparent and way beyond anything currently around.
    The diffuse texture is photographic in source. Of that Im positive. I think the most impressive thing happening here is lighting. Whargoul, where are you?! Questions need answering! smile.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It looks pretty similar to the Matrix-style scans where they grab the displacement and spec maps at the same time as the diffuse.

Looks beautiful, but it's not a game, it's a floating head that doesn't appear to animate. I don't doubt it will look this good in the fighting game, but when you only have to draw 2 characters it's not hard to spend alot of resources making them look good. That grain of salt may have been obvious, but I thought it was worth saying.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Look almost TOO real.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Next up, high poly gaming. I bet displacement maps are the key component here. A lot of great results with that now that Zbrush is here. This guy uses it very well.

http://www.taron.de/Neckling.htm
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure what I can really say here, but who cares? smile.gif most of it is guessing anyways. At one time I did have these assets on my machine and was checking them out (Rendermonkey project), but this is newer and better than that stuff.

Yes, that is a real asset, not a photoshopped head. The base geo is pretty damn high, but it is normal mapped (see the pores and shit on the face?). I think the base high rez head was created from a cyber scan of the guy, and I seem to recall something about them doing a lifecast of his head and scanning that as well? There's this new guy that worked on data capture for the Matrix films, and it looks like his input is helping out quite a bit. Base texture is probably from photos/cyberscan and hand cleaned up. Spec maps probably hand painted. Normal maps generated from high-rez low-rez difference.

As for the lighting, it's most likely per-pixel spherical harmonics. The skin shader looks like it uses texture space diffusion (a sub-surface scattering with "blood transfer" fake), and it doesn't look like they're using the translucency fake (no light shining through the ears - someone else had a really nice demo of that I think). Blooming may be on, hard to tell. There may be an ambient occlusion map used in the lighting as well, it's hard to tell in those shots. It would likely be generated off the mesh as well. Looks like there's no shadowing in there - too bad, it could make it look really nice.

Background was probably an HDR probe capture of the enviro they shot the guy in, and the SH map was extracted from it.

Keep in mind this is all just educated guesses of course, I don't work on this project.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that be a lotta big words there, mate.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Now that makes me wonder how long the next gen games will take to develop. Doom 3 took what? 5 years?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ok turns out these were leaked so probably shouldn't contine discussion.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now that makes me wonder how long the next gen games will take to develop. Doom 3 took what? 5 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably really short err *snicker* "games" then.. frown.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asset libraries are the way to go. Movies get away useing same actors so why shouldnt games do it?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    But are we talking about games anymore versus just glorified choose your own path movies?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Assets dont affect gameplay. Just instead of doing them in-house you buy them and then pretty much drag and drop.
    Actually then all realistic games look just about the same and gameplay/story will become more important than now.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I still think UE3 looks better. Its just nice and blurry and low res. If I recall, anything on a TV screen that is videotaped will appear to be ungodly good but once to get it on a high res monitor is just a mess o' ugly.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    damn, missed it
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm...good eye candy. But you never know if that single floating head is using up all the resources of the machine, leaving no room for AI, backgrounds orother game logic smile.gif

As far as the big words go: I got most of them, except 'ambient occlusion map'. Now I know someone will have the urge to point me to www.justfuckinggoogleit.com, but in the interest of all lazy bastards here, can someone explain that one?
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    am i retarded, why dont i see the link or the pics, and i checked out www.justfuckinggoogleit.com, (sarcastic) but no pics......
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ambient occlusion is sort of like a global illumination/radiosity lighting calculation, only its based on light emanating from everywhere at equal intensity as I recall, as opposed to a directional lightsource.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, kinda like a baked GI rendermap?
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    Something like that, although people are getting to the point that they are not baking it into a texture once, but generating the texture every few frames, thereby having 'realtime GI'. A while back there was someone here who was working somewhere, where they were doing that. It's in the thread about skin color, not sure if that is still reachable.
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Ambient occlusion is used in conjunction with a global ambient light source such as a cubemap or sherical harmonic map. It defines what part of the geometry receives ambient light, or general global light from the environment. Forms self occlude, so you'd get less ambient light in areas like behind the ears and on the forehead.

They're definitly using floating point precision for their lighting, similar to what U3 is doing. We'll all be moving to this format eventually, it's way to powerful to ignore it for long. True high dynamic range imagery is the future!

It's a very cool demonstration of tech.