Home General Discussion

I have a bit of a problem. acctualy a big one.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
well folks. take a look over to the left <
you'll notice that my avitar isn't working at all.

as if this week hasn't be just the worst damn week ever, i just applied at like 8 companies yesterday and today apprently my webspace is down.

they can't download the link to my demo reel when my webspace is gone. i'm trying franticly to get a hold of someone at vfs. It's the lunch hour right now unfortunately, so i'm gonna have to wait.

there's probably companies that checked my application and then pushed it aside when the weblink didn't work. there's a good chance i've screwed myself over for up to 8 companies.

i'm looking for suggestions on what i should do. anyone? smirk.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    your avatar works fine tongue.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    refresh aesir, mine had it in memory, but I just checked his site, and its down. refreshed the page, and the avatar became red x
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Well this doesn't really help at all, but for some reason I've never been able to see any of your pics. I don't know why, but all the files that are hosted on the student account, student.vfs.com, don't load for me, and there's a few people here that have used it. I don't have anything on my end that I can think of that would block it.

But maybe while the server or whatever is down you can get some other freebe site hosting it.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I could host you on planetgarg, i've got 50gb of bandwidth and 150mb's to spare laugh.gif

Though it'll have to be a simple ftp account to a folder on my webspace though though though no fancy cpanel though

I can be msn contattacked at cheapalert art planetquake dart coma.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AH! excellent! they fixed the problem and the webspace is back up. i hope nobody watched demo reels in the morning :O

thanks guys, looks like the problem's fixed anyway

soccerman- that's strange. i've heard similar things about the vfs servers. they're really picky. i sometimes wory if the people i apply to will be able to download my reel at all :S

cheap- thanks very much! that's a very kind and generous offer man. it looks like the problem has been fixed so there's no longer a need to panic but really, thanks very much smile.gif

whew! now what if someone tried to view my reel and coudln't? should i send out a few emails to companies saying that my webspace was down.. or would that just be obnoxious?
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest not sending in a DVD or VHS tape I see as not too bright of a move. Better to send a company a hard copy for them to view than having them go online and download off a site which sounds not to be 100% stable. Best bet I think would be send a demo reel (dvd or vhs) and include a link to your website in your demo reel.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    John - what's your URL? I'd like to pass it along if you are interested in the possibility of contract work.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Next time you're smarter and put your portfolio on DVD/CD-Rom
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tips guys. i've sent off a bunch of VHS tapes.

alot of companies say on their website that they prefer online application because it's faster and easier. you find that this is not the case?

astrozombie- thanks alot man smile.gif i'm not exactly sure what i'll be dong in the next little bit but i apprecieate the opportunity.

the link is: http://student.vfs.com/~3d45john/longreel.mov

you'll probably have to right click save target as...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dude you get my vote for coolest demo reel. Good job man.

Wow.
  • Redlemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redlemons polycounter lvl 18
    Holy cats John, your demo real is awesome, awesome. The flashes with the sparks in the cell, and the moving toy on your desk are incredibke. Nice work smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    John, I would send another email to the companies that you think might have tried to look at your site while it was down and explain the situation. Usually you wouldn't want to send multiple emails to the same company, but in this case it would show that you're on top of things and that you follow up when a problem arises. Plus is shows you're not a flake or an idiot by sending them a seemingly dead link.

About sending vhs tapes or dvd's, I'm not an authority on the subject, but it seems like most places are happy to accept web site portfolios. Personally, I would appreciate the effort it takes to create an actual tape or dvd and send it off, but I would also find it easier and faster to just go to a web site. You can tell if someone knows what they're doing with just a few thumbnails.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Hey John, nice demo. How did you do the hair on your Stalone model?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I would recomend getting your own webspace. Though are you hosting from VFS because they have that rule about anything you make during your time their belongs to them?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    John you tease, i was getting all into it and then you cut to the model turn-arounds. sweet reel, didn't want it to end.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooohh! hey guys smile.gif thanks for the kind responces. i didn't expect this.

Adam- thanks very much, i'm glad you enjoyed it.

Redlem- thanks! the idea for him grinding the scythe goes to my friend. as for the deskshot, it was supprizingly easy to do. it was tracked in boujou.. boujou tracks footage automaticaly and then spits out a camera and reference points into your favorite 3d app. from then on it's just a matter of lighting, animating, and a little bit of after-effects smile.gif i suggest you try it. it's great fun.

i'm glad you guys liked the opening shot. the more time i spent on it the more i was convinced that it was hopelessly corny hehe

Assasin- great advice, thanks very much. it's funny. i made 20 vhs and 3 dvds, and i haven't sent many out just for the reason that a weblink is so much quicker. perhaps i'll start. i guess i'll send my application to every company again, with a header that states that my server was down, blah blah blah, if you've gotten this already please disreguard. thanks man!

Jay - thanks smile.gif i get that from everyone acctualy. they are just 3d primitive cones that have been bent a bit. i made a small clump of cones by duplicating, placed the clump, duplicated it, then grabed both clumps and duplicated again. it was acctualy extremely quick-- but it's not going to animate hehe.

oXY- yah, that's a great idea. VFS offers us webspace based just on the fact that we were students there. my demo reel is mine to do what i want with, as long as i don't use it to make profit (and that's only because of the 3d software that it was made with, i believe) the only reason i'm not hosting from a faster, more dependable server is that i'm broke. hense, i'm looking for a job. heh

Sectaurs- grin.gif thanks man. i'm glad you enjoyed. (and if you think that's a tease, you should see me in a miniskirt)