• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't seen it. I'll check it out some night six months from now when it's on HBO.

EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) is a bunch of horse hockey with about as much validity and relevance as John Edward's 'Crossing Over'.

/jzero
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tubboy polycounter lvl 18
    jzero, Ever think about spending a few minutes testing it out?
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    In both mine, my dates, and her friend's opinion of the movie when we went to go see it...it was horrible as a movie, would've made a fine video rental...but no, we just paid 8.50 to watch a cheesy B horror movie. We were sitting there for 2 hours, to watch some "scary movie" that the only way it could to get people to react, was by having a random loud noise come out of nowhere...it eventually got tiresome and predictable. Oh look...the tv's are acting all happy and staticy...and he's moving in close...here it comes... "YOU ROTTEN BITCH! ARRRGGGGHHHH!!! SCREAM!!! GHOST SOUNDEFFECT HERE!!!"...

***Spoiler Alert***

And what the hell was up with the ending? Are we supposed to be happy that he found his wife (because he died)...nevermind the fact that he was torn to pieces by the 3 ghosts, and then dropped down a shaft to his death...

***End Spoiler***
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    tubboy: No, and I don't feel the need to try it out, maybe because I don't want to talk to anyone who's dead, or mabe because...

[ QUOTE ]
    Going one step further, and we can demonstrate that people can clearly “hear” voices and words not just in the context of muddled voices, but in a pattern of white noise, a pattern in which there are no voices or words at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, TechSmith!

People have an inherent need to find patterns in things they don't entirely understand, hence we have mythology ("The glue that connects what we know and what we can never comprehend" - Joseph Campbell), and pop-culture stuff like the DaVinci Code, which some people really believe in, despite the fact that it was conceived as fiction.

I don't see where EVP makes the jump between white noise necessarily containing 'voices of the dead'. To me, that smacks of someone wanting that to happen just a little too much. Why dead people? Why not cell phone conversations in Swahili from an alternate universe? When I'm dead, I expect that I won't want to talk to anyone who's still alive.

Just because enough people believe it doesn't make it so. Witness the very shape of this planet, for example. This why my personal motto is "Don't believe everything you think."

/jzero
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    NP jzero.

TechSmith, poster of few words.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    meh. don't belive anything you think, true, but dis-believing something based on what you think is obviously a loop in logic.

and why the hell should i belive this thought of not to belive anything i think? my god! i can't act! im paralized!

i will say this tho. some of the evp voices are pretty goofy. radio: "mff vff pmm fmm vff" interpretation: "my name is betty and i live in a green house"
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    I'd save my money and see the DVD. It was ok....and got me sorta wired but definitely not theatre worthy. Michael Keaton seemed out of place and a bit old for the babe of a wife he had. Hee hee smile.gif
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    This seems a whole lot scarier, mostly the amount of money someone is supposedly willing to pay for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14&item=3774640005&rd
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I'd buy it...to consume it...muwhahahaha

:looks at bowl of soup:

...what??

Bowl of Soup: Please don't eat me!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I was mega rich, just so I could buy that soup, video tape me eating it, and sell it for 20 bucks a copy