Home General Discussion

Do You Actually Sell Stuff Over Turbo Squid?

NoSeRider
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
Well, if I can't get a job maybe I can sell stuff?....maybe?

Anybody make a pittance selling stuff on Turbo Squid?

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Not often, and not unless you do topical things, like HUMMMV"s Abrams, and celphones attached to 155mm Artillery shells. The other things that sel are realistic people, as architects love to poulate their models, as long as they are realistic and low poly. Unfortunately you have to compete with the Spanish, who are masters of realistic high poly modelling. You had best be expert in your field, or you won't sell crap. Also heavily stylized models don't do well, unless they are someone else's style, or in a "hot" style". It doesn't hurt, but it's not an income.

Scott
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i once put up a few models i no longer cared about on turbosquid to see if that'd be an extra income option and have been receiving a few bucks here and there since then.

keep in mind that you only get half of the cake in royalities and that turbo squid can define the sales price as they wish, thus making your asset potentially unattractive to all those who expect to download nearly for free.

you'd have to have a rather large portion of popular assets over there to even halfway get an income and make up for losses due to credit card fraud.

scott: are you referring to "de espona" when you call the spanish masters of hi poly? that's a collecton of assets, probably from all over the world, distributed through various channels similar to viewpoint - if that's still in existence.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    it seems to me that when I (a canadian) wants to sell something over turbo squid, TS takes 50% of the money right off the top, and then sends me the rest. when it crosses the boarder, the US government takes 35% of my share as some.. kind of.... non-us citizen witholding tax? or some kind of crazy thing. i can't remember to be honest.

so to be honest with you. no smile.gif i don't use turbo squid. but there was a time that i seriously considered it.

I'm sure that if you get set up and make nice stuff you can make money simply on volume. and for the amount of time it takes to make a funky chair that a drafter would need for a floorplan, it might be worth it. I have a freind online who does CAD work and in the past i've modeled stuff like that for him because he needs it very much and can't make it himself.

if you live in the US... why the hell not?

if i were you i'd find the next trendy game (like the sims or something) figgure out how to mod for it, and start selling furnature online. maybe that's too much trouble.