Home General Discussion

The demise of Quake 3? Surely you jest.

Irritant
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Irritant polycounter lvl 18
I'm posting this because day in and day out it seems people say "I didn't know anyone was still playing Quake 3", or "do people still play Quake 3", "why would anyone be making models for Quake 3", etc.

It's time to set the record straight.

http://www.csports.net/TopGames.aspx?Matrix=0&Mod=0

Quake III is still in the Top 10 of online games in terms of players per day, and is more popular than all three Unreal Tournaments COMBINED.

That should put this myth to rest. Quake III is alive and WELL.

Replies

• Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    OMG! I'm still playing Q2 online!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Coincidently...i just reinstalled Quake3 on my new system. It's still a beautiful and amazing game. And I'm seeing 90 fps and r_dynamicLights 1 for the first time.

I can't wait to start making models for Quake 3. tongue.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I've been sorely tempted to reinstall recently. RA3 and some of the crazy #md custom dm settings (low grav grapples) are some of my all-time favourite gaming memories.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've had Q3 installed for the past 4 years, at least... I still play OSP online from time to time (nowhere near as much as I used to, though ... maybe once a fortnight now).
    OSP Promode Instagib on q3dm17, and OSP PM ClanArena on pro-q3dm6 are still the most fun you can have online in an FPS, in my opinion smile.gif
    Seems to be mainly Germans who play Q3 in Europe anymore these days... hardly any Brits at all!

MoP
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    onslaught owns me now...if they did quake arena 2005 with a vehicles mode, and alt-fire modes, i'd wet my pants...
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I play Quake III team arena during lunch. bmer keeps kicking my ass.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Well, not Quake3 exactly, but the port of Q3Fortress to Enemy-Territory (freeware) will be released tomorrow.

Definitly worth checking out:
    http://www.etfgame.com/

And hey it is completly free, so there is no excuse not to check it out (so is the Mod for ET TrueCombate:Elite btw)
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've had Q3 installed for the past 4 years, at least... I still play OSP online from time to time (nowhere near as much as I used to, though ... maybe once a fortnight now).
    OSP Promode Instagib on q3dm17, and OSP PM ClanArena on pro-q3dm6 are still the most fun you can have online in an FPS, in my opinion smile.gif
    Seems to be mainly Germans who play Q3 in Europe anymore these days... hardly any Brits at all!

MoP

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, they used to be my faves too. They where the only maps/modes I would play - except when I used to have clan practice, much fun laugh.gif

I havent played q3 for quite some time, but I heard that barrysworld went under.. which might explain the lack of uk'rs, as most played on their servers.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Quake 3 is still an amazing game. Too bad they dont make games like that anymore.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Quake 3 is still an amazing game. Too bad they dont make games like that anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That was only 1 game generation ago poly009.gif
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like what?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm just not big on the super-frantic gameplay of Quake or Unreal. I prefer the slower gameplay of shooters like Ghost Recon, Americas Army, or Mercenaries. Twitch shooters are fun, but they just grow old for me, fast. I still haven't beaten Painkiller yet, though I'm 3/4 through. I'm on the last level of Doom3, but I haven't finished that yet either tongue.gif
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is still doing well! thats cool
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing how I thought Sundance, Ely, Dukester and myself were some of the last Q3 hold outs.

Been a little over a year now, those Bullys, UT2003 and Rune, pushed Q3 away for now.
    I was totally owned by Headhunters mod, playing with the default 11 maps it came with and also using the std ID Q3 maps. It is such an addictive mod.

Gwot – yes that rokcet mod and rocket fighting still sticks with me in UT2003, some of the Q3 remade maps if I get my hands on the RL I amaze myself, I can turn and with some intuition of a high level psychic, I can hit bot after bot. I think Q3 trained me.

Bipolar, manic depressed, obsessive compulsive,
    passive aggressive, adult add, otherwise I am just brill!
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Werd...Q3 hasn't even slowed down. There are still over 2000 servers running 24/7. I started gaming with a bunch from Netwerkin.com in an Oregon server. It's still a blast...especially with friends. We play the lowly Vanilla with classic maps and mashed potatos. smile.gif Frag on!!