Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

master chief halo2 WIP

darkshadow
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
it seems im not the only 1 working on it, ( although i wanted to post these pics 2 weeks ago, damn polycount )
the pics are in the .rar
pics

Replies

• lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    If you post a pic of the whole model from the front and side, smooth and wireframe people will be able to give you better feedback. Right now the images all show a small part of the model.
    Making it easier to see the pics by posting direct links to them instead of a link to an archive file also increases the chance for feedback smile.gif

What poly range are you shooting for? The head doesn't use much polys and the arms seem to use a a lot.
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5-6k, but if you noticed, the "high" poly looking parts, were meshsmooth, just to show how it would look if i wa saiming for more 80k polys or something

but how does it look so far?
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    It looks ok, it looks a litte rushed in all, how about you just show front and side with no mesh smooth? laugh.gif, would be easier to see the details with you model.
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It looks ok, it looks a litte rushed in all, how about you just show front and side with no mesh smooth? laugh.gif, would be easier to see the details with you model.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you look, i posted 4 ( or 5 ) different parts, 1 is normal, 1 is faceted, 1 is meshsmooth, and 1 is meshsmooth faceted
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    Ah yes ok, well what did you model him in? The smoothing groups look all messed up, maybe you should fix that?
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max5, and im aiming just to finish it now, the rest comes later
    here are the pics you wanted :
    front.jpg
    side.jpg
    pers.jpg
  • Idane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idane polycounter lvl 18
    The structure seems very sloppy, giving the model are very pudgy look. Try going through the model and try to clean it up a bit to make the detail alot sharper.
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i havent posted nething in a while cause i was busy ( and lazy)
    but ive picked it up again
    and ive tried to remove the "sloppy-ness"
    wip.jpg
    ne ideas how i can remove ne more "sloppy-ness"?? ( point out the parts( except for the arms ofcourse) )

p.s. i need a tut for max5 on modeling anime like hair ( dbz like spiky)
    and y does my sig show in the preview post but not in the actual post?
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    The chest looks kinda messed up. Partially this is due to the smoothing groups, but mostly I'd guess its because of the model's geometry. If you post a screenshot with the edges on we'd be more able to help. smile.gif

IMO, you'd remove the "sloppiness" and have an easier time of modelling if you made the body and the armor separate from each other. It takes a little longer, but the result is much more impressive.
  • Red Crane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Crane polycounter lvl 18
    It definitely looks like a start in the right direction. Post up some wireframes so we can chek your mesh and maybe give ya some tips.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    Looking really quite good...to be honest tho' there are some problem areas...inho it's more proportion...I had these on my HDD..thought these may help...

mcmaps1pu.jpg
    mcsmoothmesh8ql.jpg
    mcwireframe4yu.jpg

Hope this helps... grin.gif
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw...these are publicised images from Bungie..it's not my work just to be clear on this..my modelling is not as good as this... wink.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Johnwoo, its interesting to note that the H2 developpers seemed to use fully handpainted normalmaps instead of highpoly bakes. Do you have more info on the subject?
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the pics man, they cleared up alot of proportion detail i was missing, ill try and fix it, and post some wires soon
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Around soon after the time of E3 2003 I spoke with the engine coders who I work with, about the advantage/disadvantages in general regarding Normal-Mapping vs Bump-Mapping (you know the genaral discussion between coder and Artist wink.gif..) anyhow Halo2 was mentioned and someone said that it was actually bump-mapping used in Halo2, in which case bumpmaps as we all know are hand drawn, and normal maps originate from high resolution meshes...so afaik they are bump mapped.....unless anyone knows for sure, cos' the coder who said it seemed pretty sure..and it does actually look like bump mapping which is affected by dynamic light sources in-game which show some very nice detail on Master Chief.... grin.gif...
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey John-woo

I picked up "The art of halo" book afew months back,ive just checked and it does say "bump-mapped",not normal mapped.

John
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    A friend of a friend actually made a suit after 'Ol MC, came out pretty good considering hes no professional costume builder, i could hook you up with those pics if you want just for sh!ts 'n' giggles