Home General Discussion

free-app fanboys ROCK

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
just an observation.

have you ever noticed that the people who use the free applications, like blender, for example, are always the most hardcore, adamant fanboys? don't get me wrong, i've been known to promote the use of xsi, but god dammit, i've modeled in 3dsmax, maya, xsi, blender & wings. i'm not saying my point of view is so much better than anyone elses, but that's off topic anyway.

the really hardcore pushers of an application. the guys who would get out on the street and wave banners if you asked them too, are the people who use some free program somewhere and produce less than proffesional quality work. (not fingering any of you on these boards, there's lots of people who produce excellent stuff yaddy yaddy yadda)

is it just me? am i an asshole? yes.. frown.gif i knew it. frown.gif

Replies

• NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    What about the people that use 'Professional' software and make crap?

is it just me? am i an asshole? yes..frown.gif i knew it.frown.gif

I still think Fang was killer.....made in MilkShape.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I think your seeing fire where non exists.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always see fire. I'm just an angry person.

I just don't get the gist of the subject matter. I think it's really the talent that matters.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    might be the case of the vocal few making the most noise.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry NoSe, I shoulda stated to John.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You mean the OSS-zealots. Try Slashdot if you want to meet LOTS of them. Or, if you dare, try emailing Richard Stallman of the FSF, THE most militant OSS-promoter.
    Personally I try to make sure every single Milkshape user is converted to Blender because, well, you read my explaination of the Milkshape workflow...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't argee with the general observation, but there are certainly a few that fit your description.

But I guess this is simply due to the fact, that there are more 'fanboys' that are younger/teenagers (you grow out of wink.gif ), who simply don't have the money to buy a different programm. And are usually not experienced enough (since they are young) to produce high quality art (but there are excerpions from this rule).

If there is any connection at all (other than the above), then I would say that those people are compassionate about lots of things (including their fanboy-ism) and apply this to modeling, too... and not like some other "what the hell/doesn't matter - guy" who downloads a warez copy of 3dsmax wink.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fire? who says i even give a shit? i'm just making a fun innocent post.

my god, don't mistake this for me giving a good god damn what anyone's doing.

the quality of the app or what was produced with it doesn't REALLY have much to do with the topic.

Shit. sory NoSe, i didn't want to upset anyone..
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's try to get this on track.

I believe people who use and promote free applications such as Blender, and Wings3D are doing a great service to the community. It's not like they're selling anything. Without their dedication, we would never know of the generous men and women in the world spending their free time contributing to product developement that offers a toolset without price tags that rival $3000 dollar industry standard packages. They provide the stage for many young future artist of the world by elimating the influence of large corporations during the process of artistic self-education. Without Wings3D, I would have been stuck learning on a broken unsupported application such as Gmax and the whole Max interface.

[ QUOTE ]
    people who use some free program somewhere and produce less than proffesional quality work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not always the case. The quality of work does not reflect the application used. I've seen some amazing working from Blender lately, along with many impressive additions to the application itself. And Wings appears to be making a permanent home on the systems of serious modelers with major improvements with each release, and functionality often surpassing those of the more expensive category.

I hope I'm still on topic. Yes, there are free-app fanboys, and Max fanboys, and soon XSI fanboys. Isn't it exciting?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    fire? who says i even give a shit? i'm just making a fun innocent post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I've noticed a pattern with some of your general discussion topics lately.

I'm not trying to pile on here, but I do have some advice for you...

You need to stop worrying about other people and concentrate on yourself. This kind of posting smacks of elitism. You then try to play it off by poking fun at yourself or claiming it was a joke. Well, the idea and thought didn't just come from anywhere, and you should think about that.

I think if you can find it within yourself to be more accepting of the variety of people that exist in the gaming community, you'll find yourself making fewer threads like this, and you won't have to keep calling yourself an asshole to shield yourself from criticism for doing so laugh.gif

Just a thought...sorry if it might have sounded too harsh.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe all loud-mouthed people are cheap? poly107.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The ones who are the most zealous are the ones who make the most sound, where the ones who are satisfied usually never make any sound at all, same applies with other games/applications..

steam is a nice example, OMG the noise made about steam, but still, a great majority managed to have steam running without problems, and play hl2 happily. but they don't make any sound that could be identified as whining.

Most fanbases have all the parts that make a fanbase, whiners, yay'ers, nay'ers, and great-doers..

I use blender as an app among the others, random-fate brought me to blender, could've been any other app :x, no better, no worse..
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant - no worries, no offence taken. but i do feal like i should at least explain myself.

i can only assume that you're reffering to one other thred, which was aimed at what i feal new modelers should do to improve their skills. rest assured that that thred was for no other reason than to help others. i've been fealing guilty for not contributing to the community as much as i used to in the way of critiques and figgured i'd post my opnions. if this makes me elitist or an asshole, then anyone who's posted a tutorial is also an asshole.

as for this thred, well, it really was just a goofy little post and a poke at people. if i have something that i feal strongly about i wont hide behind sheilds of critisism. if i acctualy gave a shit about people who preach free apps, belive me, there'd be no question of my intent

as far as being concerned about other people and how their doing.. fine, guilty as charged. but don't wory, i'm quickly beccoming indiferent and cruel hehe. but please don't mistake my posts on this forum as a way to stroke my ego.

anyway, sory guys, i guess sometimes i come off wrong. i certainly didn't mean to upset anyone. it's been a bad week for that i think :\
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    John: It's because most of the lesser intelligent people out there think of their own opinion (this program rox0rs, that one sux0rs) as the word of GOD.
    For them, these other programs are the spawn of the devil - so when other people use other programs that these "saints" don't like, the other guys are like practitioners of evil in the eyes of the "saints".

Of course, every good "saint" wants to destroy evil, and thereby those who use other programs...

So when I use Blender, and a "saint" uses Wings - that "saint" would rather see me burn than see me produce a good model in Blender...

The fact that there are more of these people for free aps, is that not everyone has legal copies 3dsmax, xsi or maya - and so they don't speak up as much - to hide their use of warez...

Sorry, but this was just easier to explain in some weird religious way - no referrance to RL religions is intended! o_O
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, yes but Milkshape REALLY sucks! I mean, hell, use Wings, use Blender, use anything else you can afford but stay away from Milkshape unless you're into some weird kind of SM.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    John_Warner, I haven't really noticed that actually. I usually find on these boards there is always some random dude trying to push Max on everyone as the best 3d app ever.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, yes but Milkshape REALLY sucks! I mean, hell, use Wings, use Blender, use anything else you can afford but stay away from Milkshape unless you're into some weird kind of SM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even care.....I'm tired about geeking out about software. I've taken InfiniD, Strata, Max, MilkShape, Maya......it all boils down to shifting vertices around and rendering an image.

......Now if you wanna talk about sucky software try making something in InfiniD?....wait, I think MetaCreations went out of business?...nevermind.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wait, I think MetaCreations went out of business?...nevermind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't they Curious Labs now? Poser's still around rofl.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Im with Malcolm. The Maya haters are far more annoying than the free app lovers!!!

*EDIT* for clarification: I dont actually care If you think Maya is crap at all but what bugs me is people that use software for 5 minutes and declare to the community in their infinite wisdom that they know better than Weta et al and that it's shit.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my god i hate maya..

hehe. acctualy, i don't know it for a damn.

Jes, yah i guess so. i mean HAH what are they thinking. everyone knows that my word is the word of god. sheesh. stupid lesser intellegent people. smile.gif

kdr- i belive you smile.gif

honsetly NoSe, i'm gonna have to kinda go ahead and.. disagree.. with you there... if the workflow is so cumbersome then i think it'll cause the end result to be of less quality unless the artist has amazing patience. when i'm modeling with a program i'm not articulate with my artwork sucks. i could take 2 hours and MAYBE be able to make it look up to par, but guess what? i'd still be spending 2 hours making it look as good as the art i produce with the other peice of software in 20 minutes. i'm not going to turn this thred into some kind of package promotional thred, but some packages are better for different things than others. that's a fact.

yah malcolm that's true.. i remember my max using days grin.gif
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can only go by my own personal experiences.

I just needed something with clarity and funneled with a purpose. Commercial Applications can be overwhelhming and can foreshadow the concepts, rather then figuring out buttons.

I needed to know about low poly modeling, SubDivision and UV Mapping.....not figuring out stacks, material editors, tabs, hotkeys, nodes.....and blah blah blah.

It was probably poor teaching that lead me to detest Max 3, but Max 3 really did have a sucky bones animation system......and Blender confuses the shit out of me.

I find that geeking out about software is not that important, if studios keep switching their packages where the wind blows......I suspect studios will start switching to Softimage since it's so cheap.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Commercial Applications can be overwhelhming and can foreshadow the concepts, rather then figuring out buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on the topic... I am going to try and be a Wings3d fanboy (which I am a little bit wink.gif ):
    That is exactly why everyone should use Wings3d, doesn't get any easier interface wise, but is a great modeling tool that rivals the "Big-Ones".
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Free-app fanboys...

There's something I haven't heard of in a while. Most free applications can never measure up to the standards set by their industrial-strength counterparts. They just don't have the support and funding that the big boys do. And because of this they will never really have all of the tools available to industry-standard applications.

But that is not necessarily a bad thing.

How many people here are expert in using all of the advanced features in Maya 3D? How many people here write their own scripts for use in 3D Studio Max? How many people know how to take advantage of the tree / stack navigation that is one of the strengths of SoftImage XSI? Most of the "extra" functions that major 3D apps provide are unnecessary for low-poly game modeling. And goodness knows hobbyists don't want to have to deal with such extreme learning curves. For less intensive purposes (everyone other than industry proffesionals) free-apps are an incredible blessing. And how much better is it when an application like Blender or Wings3D gets regular and useful upgrades?

Major 3D apps will always be the industry standard, but free-app 3D is going to form the backbone of the independent game development industry.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd still like to see an example of this "free-app fanboy". What caused this discussion?

I would hate to be called a fanboy. I believe that title would refer to one who has only had education and experience with a single program, let's say Max, and love it. AND...they hate every single other program available because it's not Max. I see this with kids switching to XSI. Big surprise, it's not Max.

If I had spent $3000+ on Max 3 years ago without looking at all the available options...I'd be rather pissed at myself. So much so that I'd have to convince myself that I love it in order to find purpose in my life. hehe
    I normally promote free apps to those who are starting out and interested in learning without sacrificing their budget.

*stop reading here, the rest is a waste of time unless you're interested.*

My preference comes from 3 years of looking for a program that works, and the ability to learn them without damaging my bank account. I started with Gmax, free. Learn the vocabulary (unfortunately), and basic designing. Learned that Max is a piece of shit app. Switched to MayaPLE, free. Great app, has everything, terrific learning materials. too cluttered for me. Couldn't find the Discovery version of Lightwave, so automatic bad rating :P. Not the best for game art, and lacks many basic features. Milkshape...sucks! Used as file conversion only, and sometimes polygon reduction. Cinema 4D demo, very stable and fast program. Follows the same Max Material Editor setup, which nearly cripples it. No support for games. When I used Blender, the UI was an alien spaceship. There have been many improvements since, with a very strong community behind it. Enter Wings3D, I finally learn to model the way it's meant to be done. And as I push geometry around, nothing breaks...like Max. Wings3D doesn't solve the problem of having a commercial package, and extruded edges. Hello XSI price drop. Play with XSI/EXP, free, and hooked. One of the most innovative and fully featured apps I've encountered. Years of searching and waiting finally pay off.

So try the free apps and free versions. It's the best experience and education ANYONE can afford. I've seen artist using Wings3D produce better work than some MAX kiddies. They have a right to be excited. It's a David vs. Goliath thing.

And it's not just for 3D. OpenOffice, and The Gimp2, and AVG, and etc...