Home General Discussion

ugh...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
[vent]
there are absolutely no jobs in this college town for two college graduates with their BA's in art, myself (emphasis in graphic design) and my girlfried (studio art). except fast food, UGH!

we need away from here. but that takes money. for money we need jobs. there are no jobs. we are stuck. ugh.

we've applied for university jobs, my gf at the campus library and myself at IT but they are taking their sweet time getting back to her and they dont start looking at applications to IT until the 19th.

so lame..
[/vent]

Replies

• jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    'HONEST' WAITSTAFF TRAINING VIDEO:

(smarmy announcer voice-over)
    "Welcome to the wonderful world of the food services market! You'll join over 60% of the would-be creative talent of America, as they try to pay rent and avoid malnutrition, and still keep their hopes alive of pursuing a career in the arts!"

"As a participant in the fast-moving world of food services, you'll experience the lowest of lows in customer frustration and humiliation, all under the watchful eye of a typically ignorant and inconsiderate managerial staff. These despicable hardcases may not understand that 'this isn't what you want to be doing', but they'll certainly prepare you for your future experiences with agents, studio executives, producers, art directors, and gallery owners! Every negative experience in the food services industry will be an opporunity for you to grow and strengthen your resolve to make it, and leave this rat's ass of a suck-job far behind you!"

"Let's face it, everybody who chooses an major in the arts does so without realizing that no entry-level career paths exist for you on the other side of graduation. The food services industry depends on aspiring artists' hard work and acceptance of minimum wages to keep up their quotas of sullen and boorishly disinterested employees. Don't let that hard-won and expensive arts degree go to waste -- everybody's gotta eat! You might as well go ahead and admit it -- this is the way the world works!"

"Your future is bright, but for today, you're wearing an apron nametag and slinging hash. Welcome!"

(cheesy industrial-film music fades out...)

(((I honestly don't know where that came from.)))

/jzero
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [vent]
    there are absolutely no jobs in this college town for two college graduates with their BA's in art...
    [/vent]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've described the situation for most any town. Despite what our parents and high school councelors tell us, college rarely prepares us for a 'real' job. Especially when it comes to art. Most BA's experience several post-college years of wading about in internships, part-time gigs, fast food jobs, and general depression. Well, I did, and almost everyone I know did. Luck, brilliance, independant wealth, and/or nepotism are the only things that can save you, methinks. My advice: buck up, shut up, persevere, focus- accept baby steps towards your goal, whatever it may be. And consider moving- it doesn't cost that much.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    perhaps you should have also taken courses in business management and solved that problem yourself.

whatiz'it you were plannin on doin with all that fancy book learnin anyhow? You can't just walk up to someone and say, "hey, I'm a graphic designer, wanna hire me?"
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Once upon a time I was a college graduate with a BA in art ... and probably lived in a smaller town than you live in now. I wish I had the resources available to me then, that graduates have now.

Use the power of the internet to find a job ... or freelance work elsewhere in the country. If you're good at what you do, any employer worth working for will be willing to relocate you or at least make a major contribution towards your relocation.

Writers' Digest puts out Artist's Market. It's a great place to search for potential employers of graphic artists around the country. Most libraries will have a referene copy.

Impose upon friends who live in larger cities while you look for work there.

Don't expect employers to come looking for you.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Today we pickd up trash from public lawns and emptied the corresponding litter bins. You think burger flipping sucks?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I ran machines in factories for 5 years before I fell into the job I have now. This job still sucks but I'm still happy as hell to be behind a desk now instead of still slaving away in those places.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I heard Troy McClure voicing jzeros post smile.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I used to fry chicken, worst job ever next to hauling off three day dead cows
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    you should go work at home depot, in Paint, or something. Its a great job, nice pay and benefits, and an overall good place to work while looking for other jobs.