Home General Discussion

Tiny sexy new mac.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
indextop20050111.jpg

No keyboard, mouse, or display.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Would make a perfect media centre box....

Replies

• qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    mhhmm yum i think mac goes a real nice way ... maybe one day ill buy one :P
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I was praising this thing on #m_d last night. Soooo many uses and only 500$. Only small (and I do mean small..) downside is that it is only a G4 processor.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    And 256mb of ram, also a bummer. Reminds me of the old Apple Cube, wich I seem to remember failed badly. It'll be interested to see how this unit sells. I'd love to get a Mac, but when you can get PC hardware of comparable power for half the price...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    vermillion: while it wasn't a big hit right off, the cube has a serious cult, with resale values that remain high. given that mac users are already pretty cultish, cult within a cult status is pretty impressive smile.gif

the new imac i was not a fan of, but the mac mini scores another design home run for apple. they've got some of the best designers in the industry and it shows. the only apple computer product i'm using is their wonderful 23" cinema display... but if i ever went for a mac for webbrowsing/media center type stuff, i'd take one of these.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hate macs

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it up for this informed opinion on the subject everyone! This is stuff worth reading!
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Unforunately I'm with fordy, but then again I use Macs weekly. I was even stuck using one for 6 months. Easy to use, no! Works with PCs, sortof. Doesn't crash, HAH, right!!!! My Mac usually crashed multiple times a day and was a nightmare in a support setting. The only thing I've found going for ir is the use of BSD as its basis. I'd really like a nice little nonfluffy linux install instead of OSX GUI. Sorry got off topic. Bus is a bit slow, video card just soso, and still a bit overpriced. Cute and space efficient though.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't Windows NT partially BSD-based as well?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah!

as far as a media player goes, I'm going to get myself this:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10481
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Nope no BSD in the NT kernel
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    vermillion: while it wasn't a big hit right off, the cube has a serious cult, with resale values that remain high. given that mac users are already pretty cultish, cult within a cult status is pretty impressive smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I know all about them - my old boss at the university was a Mac zealot and bought himself one (with uni funds) shortly after the announcement. It was 'cute', but not really upgradable, and I thought it to be a pretty bad investment (though he was constantly blowing budget on toys for himself and the office). We always referred to it as 'the toaster', due to it's shape - alas, it made no toast wink.gif
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i dont think so. NT stands for New Technology and it strikes me as a conflict with MS's general direction at the time NT was concieved that they would take any Unix solution as a direct basis for their new tech. but i dotn have any facts here. just sharing general opinion.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    It looks pretty great. If I didnt have to pay a fortune on some dental work this month, I'd consider buying one.

I have been accused of being an anti-Mac guy, but thats not really the case. What I dislike are the Zealous Mac Cultists(who sadly seem more the rule than the exception) not the device itself. The holier than thou attitude and delusional qualities that accompany such fanatacism are pretty grating.

That said, we use Dual Mac's G5s for our Final Cut workstations and now the new IMac's for our on-site digital event photography (against my recommendation). They seem to have some good software going for them.
    They crash just as often as our PC's, and dont really seem any faster though I do love thier aesthetic. Some of the features Im used to in windows are missing, and that is the cause of some frustration occasionally.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have been accused of being an anti-Mac guy, but thats not really the case. What I dislike are the Zealous Mac Cultists(who sadly seem more the rule than the exception) not the device itself. The holier than thou attitude and delusional qualities that accompany such fanatacism are pretty grating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to second this. Saves me the trouble of typing it. cool.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    They crash all the time.
    Thats why I don't like them.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Macs are great if you like playing all 3 games ever released for them, using Photoshop or buying music off iTunes.com for your trendy iPod.

Also macs are great if you are a trendy fag that has to have something for the way it looks, not the way it functions or for having some sort of stability.

'nuff said.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    love my little ibook. runs great. has never crashed on me. even the campus macs crashed far less often than windows does.
    also love the 'drag and drop' feature of macs, if you know what im sayin. wink.gif

i think the mini would be great for a college dorm room enviroment where you never really have much room.

if it wasnt for the price tag and lack of gaming options i would almost convert to mac full time.

/me waits outside gauss' room until he sleeps. must gets the precious cinema display.. yes must get the precious
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    The design of this new mac is once again awesome and nothing less.
    The specs however worry me. It has only very little RAM and you cannot increase it by yourself. For no keyboard, no mouse and no display 500$ is still pretty much. The system bus is at 167MHz, which I think is pretty low (I could be wrong about that though). The GFX card comes with only 32MB. Only two USB ports, one of them has to be used for the keyboard AFAIK. And strangely the maximum operating temp is 35°C (95°F) - I get that on a hot summer day without even turning on the computer.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While things such as "'nuff said." have rarely ended an intelligent discussion or monologue, i'd like to point out that in this case: its not the dramatic break with tradition Slayerjetman was most likely going for.
    People who praise Macs are generally uninformed, and the same goes for people who have nothing but negative commentary.

Macs are overpriced, and lacking in functionality, i think we can agree on this (this computer, when you upgrade it to something remotely decent costs 1000, instead of 500.), but they're also quite stable, user-friendly in the way that you can't do much wrong with them as a noncomputer-savy person, and they're appealing in design.
    If you are a computer-savy person though, i would recommend you use a pc, personally. the prices are becoming fairer, but they're still mildly overpriced in my opinion.

i am the king of coherence ladies and gentlemen, i prove it again and again!

edit: it also irks me that they advertise it as being the tool that you can "plug your electrical guitar into" without actually having a sound in.
    You have to buy a peripheral for that, which plugs into the usb, and costs 35, i think.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    For someone with a real machine I can't see much of a use for one of these. However, if I knew someone who was in the market to buy an inexpensive PC and was not interested in games I would recommend it.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    My PowerMac 7600 is in my closet.

I'll be using Maya 6.0 on a G5 Mac at School Starting Jan 21st.......Last Mac OS I used was 8.5....OS 10 might freak me out.