Home General Discussion

Games I never finished & will never play again

Sett
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sett polycounter lvl 18
For one reason or another I've just stop completing the games that I buy. Not all of them, but it's getting close to 50%. Boredom, laziness, frustration, loss of interest or I was dumb enough to buy another before I was done with the last. When I was younger I played <u>every</u> game till the end and I always checked out every passageway, box and wall(for secret stuff). Now I finish, watch the credits, box it up and give it away.

I bought Prince of Persia 2(or 5 -warrior within) over a month ago, played about 2~3hours of it and ..well that's it. I liked PoP1(or 4) and completed it. But with this ver.I feel that they made it just for the console gamers (the combo moves) so it's kind of a drag on the pc. Maybe I'll go back.

GTA -SA - so much time put into this one, all the extra shit you gotta do. I feel like it's just a big skills competition, no real game. I got to the point where you have to learn to fly and gave up. For me the controller is way too sensitive for the very delicate touch you need to properly fly(over-compensate,over-compensate,etc ) just not fun anymore(plus James Woods calling me every two minutes-"did you learn to fly yet?!?"). I really loved the GTA series from 1 on but unless they go in a new direction SA will be the last for me.

UT2003, UT2004 and Unreal2- hate the movement. Can't play it anymore. And now that I play CoD -UO online all the time I hate it even more. I've got a hardon for ironsites now. I played UT99 online for untold hours but when I got my hands on UT2k3 the feel was all wrong. (a note to you Epic guys -It's not just about polycount) The funny thing is that I mod for the Unreal engine so I'm running UT2k4 about 20x a day, but I don't play it. U2- *yawn* by far the worst. 30 min. then it was off the HD.

There's more but I don't want this post to be my bitch list.

Another thing is when I do complete a game I almost will never play it again. As much as I enjoyed Half Life 2(9/10 in my book) I see no reason to play it again. I wrote my login info on the box so the next guy that gets it just has to log in with that. If they persist with this Steam bs I'll just make a new account for every game.

Thanks for readin' my rant.

Sett

Replies

• Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I nearly didn't finish Mafia, an utterly fabulous game, thanks to that evil racing level. Luckily I wasn't the only one who couldn't bear it, and found a messageboard thread discussing good ways to circumvent the level. I went with a tidy little exploit for respawning in front of the pack if you slid off the road at a certain point, and was able to finish the level and continue with the game. Whew!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    There are a number of games that I don't finish, usually due to frustration or boredom.

I bought Homeworld 2, but got frustrated on an early level. I LOVED the first game.
    I bought Full Spectrum Warrior, but grew bored with the gameplay. There doesnt appear to be any advancement of your arsenal / characters in the game, just missions of escalating difficulty. While realistic, this isnt as fun as it could be. The control system is so brilliant, I wanted to play just to support such a great move by the developers.
    Battle for Middle Earth: Just got it, probably already "done" with it. Playing the good side, the levels up until Helms Deep were so easy, I could beat them without even building a base/army. Just my starting forces. Helms Deep? I've tried it nearly 10x and still can't beat it. DONE!
    The UT series of games: They are, to me, rendering engine demos on a level far exceeded by the likes of IdSoft.
    Hrm..this will be a long list. I'll complete maybe when I get home.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I have never beat the boss on any of the Half-Life games.
    It bugs me, but not enough to go back and do it!

I can remember having the same epiphany in my late twenties about buying record albums. When I was in school and bought and album, I listened and learned every track. When I started making money and could afford to splurge I noticed I would buy an album for one song and listen to it only. :/
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    FarCry seems to be the one for me... dunno but it bores me so quickly, that I am not even past the Aircraft carrier frown.gif

Btw Sett, I agree that the movment of UT2k3&4 just feels odd... I play it alot, but only the mods for it (like red Orchestra... Ironsights & and no odd movement wink.gif ). But I guess it is not only the movement but also the enviroment scale... everything is just way to 'big', at least it feels that way.

Oh and I never finished Mafia either... actually I don't know why laugh.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    The not completing games is pretty common for me, though mostly I'm just too busy (Yeah... sure..)

Might be to be expected though, since I'm somewhat of an RPG freak. I only have 17 current-gen console games, and of those I've finished six, those being:

Devil May Cry 1&2, the first because it's a great game, the second, because it's so damn easy ¬_¬
    Final Fantasy X
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Excelent game, but too short...
    Arc the Lad: TotS, decent game if you can get past the pretty bad voices...
    Tales of Symphonia, best RPG for the gamecube... Er, yeah =P

That leaves lots of honestly good games likes Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, FFX-2 which just get pushed aside somewhere along the way. Often I find that after I've learned and figured out how things go in a game, that there's not much else to them. Usually in RPGs, that's where plot and world exploration come in, but more recent games seem to be lacking in that area as they get more and more linear.

Though actually, to be fair, some of the better ones I haven't finished (Star Ocean 3, Shadow Hearts 2) would be in my "finished" pile if they hadn't been interrupted by more important things.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Place the difficulty on REALLY REALLY EASY you bunch of babies. hehe

I've been trying to beat Dragon Warrior (NES) since 1989. I came close back in 2001. Something always happens that prevents me from finishing. I even tried emulators to solve the problem, and my save state was accidently erased. Then I cried for days and started throwing playing cards into a tophat. I may never try again because of the length of time required to gain "experience" by killing millions of red blobs.

Cobra Triangle
    Solar Jetman (excellent game, worthy of remake!!!)
    RC ProAm

Unfinished fossils that will continue to collect dust.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Hey I agree about the movement problems of the UTK3 and UTK4. It's impossible to get any kind of real quake-style turbo jumping.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've been trying to beat Dragon Warrior (NES) since 1989. I came close back in 2001. Something always happens that prevents me from finishing. I even tried emulators to solve the problem, and my save state was accidently erased. Then I cried for days and started throwing playing cards into a tophat. I may never try again because of the length of time required to gain "experience" by killing millions of red blobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like it'd translate perfectly to an MMORPG wink.gif
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Im actually making a smallish-Dragon Warrior MMO. Funny that. http://www.wolfiex.isa-geek.com/dragon/

Anyway, I never finished or had interest to finish UT2K3, FarCry, FrontMission4, AdvanceWars, GoldenSun made my cry it was so boring...

I could go on and on, but seriously, FINISH dragon warrior. smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hmph, well I love the arcadish twitchy feel of ut2k4.

As far as game I finished, but will never play through again:
    Messiah
    XIII

As far as unfinished games:
    Myst III
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I never beat half my old nintendo games. Tried in modern times to beat them... and I got frustrated and gave up again. Time lord... piece of junk! ;?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Just never get a modded Xbox and fill it up with everything.

When you have 50+ games at easy access (I have copies dont worry), you never know which one to play... one day I realised this, went back, and beat every game I thought was good one by one. I didnt give up and move onto another one, if I got tired I just quit...

I've learned that with many new games, the key is to play it for a little while, and stop, then come back when you have the itch. Don't keep going until you get sick of it, move on, and maybe not even come back.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I never beat Super Mario Bros. for the NES.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i never finished C&C or C&C red alert or C&C tiberian sun. got bored on tib sun, and on the first 2, i couldn't finish the missions and gave up. never finished driver 1, although i got to the last level. never finished F-16 Multi-role fighter, MiG-29 fulcrum, f-22 lightning 2 and 3, jane's f-15 eagle or tony hawks 3.

never even got started on jane's f-15 because it's just TOO damn complex, even in arcade mode! i got bored of the other flight sims, and THPS3 i got bored of the airport level which i couldn't finish and took it off in favour of more UT2004 stuff and couldn't get the bloody thing to reinstall when i tried recently, then i cleverly deleted the damn save game file, so i'm not going to bother.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Will never finish Far Cry and I think that I will never finish Doom3.
    I finished Mafia on PC but I cannot finish it on XBox. The last level in the museum is just too damn hard. I have spend hours on it and it pisses me off that I can't finish it.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    wow , this thread is great. so manny crap modern games out there .. and its not coz of the graphics like it was 15 years ago ... sorta makes you wonder who the hell is coming up with the game ideas ...

last game i truely enjoyed playing ... Suikoden probly.

i would like to see alot of old games revisited properly tho...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I never finish games, Aileen always moans that I buy new ones before completing the last one.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    doom3, no interest in finishing it. If I see another alpha lab im going to hurl.

Thanks for reminding me of Mafia. Man that was an awesome and unique game.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    i dont have time to play games. Mostly because i know i wasting my time never finishing it. the last game i played to the end was monkey island or something like that...
    no elite froce 1 with cheats coz i liked the weapons sounds so much (was my soundengineer phase)....
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Final Fantasy x. I really want to finish it, Im on like the last boss, but I need to level up Yuna and get some super power,and I just dont feel like doing it. Plus there are all thes ultima weapons I have to find and I have to do stupid Life consuming crap like dodge lighting 200 times.

I have Gta san andreas, and I love it I just unlocked Las Venturas and I havent touched it in a few weeks.

I got Into Metal Gear solid 3 Snake eater, I just beat the second Boss "The Fear" I think I may actually finish this game cause I want to see how the story turns out.

UT2k4 I only play it to see Custom Stuff from the community like the Community bonus Packs. And to see any stuff I make with Unreal Ed.

Im not gonna get any more games untill I finish These. Well I might get Jak And Daxter 3 But that's it. That would be all the games I need till The fall I bet.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I can't seem to finish any fps games lately. The last one I actually played all the way through was the original Max Payne. RPG's are more my thing these days. I just finished Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and I'm actually playing through it again to experience it as a different vampire clan. Of course my enjoyment of that game is majorly helped from me playing the pen and paper version so much when I was younger. I know all the lore and love the setting. If you can look past the graphic glitches, bad character rigging and bad animation in some areas then it's a fairly fun game. I like the way they handled combat and the way the disciplines are implemented. Plus, it had the coolest moment I've ever experienced in a game while I was playing my Malkavian character (malkavians are insane vampires for those who don't know). *Semi-spoiler alert* Late in the game when I went back to visit my haven to talk to my ghoul and check my email the tv came on and the news anchorman started talking directly to me through the tv. Was pretty cool. I got a laugh out of it.

Another RPG I finished a while ago was Knights of the Old Republic. I finished it with the dark side ending. Tried playing through again on the light side but couldn't manage to keep going. The main problem I had with KOTOR is there's really not much character variation. They all play about the same. Vampire: Bloodlines is pretty different based on what clan you choose.

One major thing that helped me finish both those games is that every single line of NPC dialog is voice acted and done well. I hate having to read loads of dialog. I was having fun with Neverwinter Nights for a while and actually made it pretty far through the game but eventually the lack of voice acting killed it for me.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    good thread.. one I can relate to. Here's a short list of the ones I can remember:

Men of Valor: gave it up at Khe San base. no game saves ruined it for me.

MOH:Pacific Assault: run through the jungle, kill japs.. run through the jungle, kill japs.. repeat and rinse.

Shellshock Nam: Ugh.. just horrible.

Games I play alot but thought I wouldnt:

Joint Operations: playing war with 100+ people has never been so much fun.

Counter-Strike Source: Just good fun all around.

Oh, for those of you who gave up on Far Cry... GO BACK AND FINISH IT!!!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I could write a book on this subject. Almost never finish a game. I think the last few I finished were Wario Ware: Touched! and Doom 3. I got bored and annoyed of HL 2 in Ravenholm and couldn't be arsed to move on. I think I'd continue with Tales of Symphonia (which I have imported at its US launch and didn't really play until it was out here...) and Kururin Squash! when I can get myself away from the Polycount forums, Blender and the C++ compiler tongue.gif. Maybe I should start playing FFTA a bit but that game currently has an aura of despair about it and I don't like to go near it (got it as my "farewell" present when I went to the military, not something I like to look back to). The main factor about any game is its "aura", the feeling I get when seeing or playing it. A depressing game like Half-Life 1 and 2 never gets finished. My perception of a game rarely changes from first impression I have and that's why I stay the hell away from most multiplatform console games. Maybe that's the PS2's influence carrying over and there's something depressing about the PS2.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    I never finished Homeworld...and that really sucks! It's one game I wish I could finish, but even with a trainer I got my ass handed to me. I swear: a perfect game marred only by the lack of a real working difficulty level slider. And Homeworld 2, whilst a bit better, has the same problem for me.
    Now maybe I just suck at the game, but developpers should allow me to choose how difficult I want the game to be, and not just ramp it up and pray their 'dynamic difficulty' system will actually work.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Just because you don't finish the game doesn't mean it sucks. Most games are what you make of it. The game doesn't suck...you suck at it! Hate the player, not the game...etc. tongue.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The main factor about any game is its "aura", the feeling I get when seeing or playing it. A depressing game like Half-Life 1 and 2 never gets finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! I dont like to play in depressing worlds. Only if it is a tale of redemption. I played Psi ops, and though it was very fun I just stopped playing it, I wasnt excited to play it. I just get sick of "gritty" if you know what I mean. I put in Zelda Windwaker and i had to keep playing till I finished. It was a world I didn't mind being in. If I play in a gritty evil world I need allies, or I better be tough guy with a rapier wit. That's what I like about the metal gear solid series, when things get to intense, I get on the codec and talk to the colnel or someone and allows me to catch my breath. Games shouldent be exhausting to play.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Vampire: Bloodlines .... I got it over christmas in a sale but I soon discovered that I have no disk 3.. and no receipt. ;/
    I doubt I will be finishing it anytime soon. ha!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    But I guess it is not only the movement but also the enviroment scale... everything is just way to 'big', at least it feels that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, ut2k3/4's players feel miniscule in size, and run fast, much like Doom was.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Doom3: It's too scary
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i quit doom 3 because it just got too boring and i realized it, and i quit halo 2 because i saw my brother beat it, and i quit san andreas because halo 2 came out.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Good, good thread.

Ely has a point, I have oft turned down the difficulty settings to get on with it

Unfinished and not returning to:

Castlevania hod
    Tony Hawks II
    Half Life I
    DoomI
    QuakeI
    QII
    Unrealtournament
    QIII
    Serious Sam
    Rune ( awe still play runebot dm mod)
    Rise of the Triad
    Pac Man

Don’t know what you Guys are talking about with the HUD or feel of UT2003 or 04.
    That game simply owns me. I am up to 30 minutes everday of dm and can’t get enuff!
    dm, greed mod, ctf or bombing run, it is like Q3 with plastic surgery. imho

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Prince of Persia 2 frown.gif unless i can get an unlimited health cheat, im not going back to it.

GTA3, GTA vice city, GTA san andreas: all of these i played about 3-6 hours in then stop. dont know why... i just do.

viewtiful joe: an awesome, fun game, that i just lost intrest in

Tony Hawk Underground 2: the game froze on me once, after a while of not saving and completing 6 or 7 of the classic maps (100%). The game is so fucking buggy and annoying it almost overcame my love for the series. I still enjoy it moderately, and may go back, but all the extra wheelchair crap and bull-riding-bleh-animation steve-o leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Beyond Good & Evil: played about 6 hours into it or so, then stopped again. Lost intrest. its fun though! i may go back and give it another shot, but probably not.

Halo 2: played a couple of hours of it, and it doesnt have the same 'quality' the first one had - where i *wanted* to get back and play, much like HL2. I'll play on Live with my bro and his woman, but meh.

GranTurrismo3: no. no more. no no no. but 4! omg cant wait. smile.gif
    Diablo 2: dont want to open that crack box again. ive been fighting the urge lately...................... no.

Painkiller: my god i want to keep playing this game. i may finish eventually... but probably not.

to all you UT haters... DM is still fun! come on! smile.gif 2k4 DM is great fun.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think its a bad thing to not complete a game coz its too hard .. i find myself knowing that given patience its possible to complete pretty much any game ... take those bits in Hl2 (SPOILER!!!!!!!) when those craft attack you , because they take more than a full clip of rockets to destroy you know straight away you are gona get a rocket box somwhere around ... same thing went for all the ammo and health needs in that game ... mind you , this was on normal diff .... there are some games i put on a easy difficulty just to take the patience element out ... but i think a good game is one that makes you get better , or learn to beat it ... hardly ever get these now days. I went home for xmas , and played on gothik2, well , i installed it , cringed at the voice acting , and felt annoyed by the game as soon as i started moving about ...so i uninstalled it ... thats a record , even for me ... the thing was actually on my hdd for only a few minutes. also played vampire bloodlines which proply would be good if it didnt look half finnished ...

ooh dear , anyone want to make a good game?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    almost every game except for the scary ones
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Doom3. a imp hiding behind a door or secret panel is only scary so many times. then it's just lame and repetative.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    mmm

Doom3, it was awsome, then I got bored of it.. I got back to it a few ago, but then i got hl2 so I stopped again.. I might go back?

Gta4: ya well, That I might finish it, Im pretty far, well pretty fucking far .. But I dont know..

Pop2 LOl I started the game, it frooze . I restart played until the first ennemy, I smack the ps2. I hate that game ahah, Didnt manage to go until where my characters were Lol.

Farcry. it was great , Jungle feeling, water naanaan, Then fucking Ugly useless pink ass stupid fuck monsters started to appear,. YUK, The rocket mama dude monster YUK. I stopped playing in the Catacomb map. Maybe it get better?

other then that lately .. uhh I dont know.. I finished Hl2 and metal gear 3 tho.. FUCKING AWSOME, msg3 is mad, I love it so bad, Im playing it again. I love. LOVE it.!

b1ll
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm..good thread for me...

Doom3:- trying to find a good reason/burst of of motivation toi go back to it.

thats proberly the main one...

But also

Pacific Fighters:- I play now and again,get through it slowly and its good to have a blast in planes once in awhile.

Rome-total war:- amazing game,played and completed it once from the roman side,just trying it now from one of the many unlocked sides.

Flatout:- one of those games that can be great fun in short burst,and therefore im getting through it gradurally.

Total club manager 2005:- Open ended (can't complete as such)..don't like it to much though,prefer TCM2004....that one was well done,this new one has "EA rushed" all oevr it,looks tacky.

Battlefeild1942:- Use it at least once a week for some LAN multiplayer with a mate or 2 (3 Pcs linked
    up in living room)

pro evolution soccer 4:- another game thats great in short burst or for multiplayer,just I can't get my PS2 controller working proberly with the adaptor and game frown.gif.

Theres afew more but thats the jist of it.

john
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    bill, i agree. MGS3 is fucking tits. aslhfalshfsaldfjh i need to play through it again!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    there are far too many games that i didn't finish than i can possibly remember but monkey island 2 stand's out by far from the memories.
    i was so close yet never made it. and these days i cannot force myself to stare at 320x200 pixel screens again.
    also while i do like to play GTA 3 or VC, i have no motivation of finishing those, the final missions are far too hard for my lowly developed skills so i prefer to do break time amok runs instead.

since everyone likes to bash UT, i'll chime in: the feeling of UT2k3 was so different (somewhat quake-ish) from the original UT that it felt like a completely different game. couldn't stand it for long, proper movement control and pace of the game is what i found lacking in many shooter's i had a look at anyway. these days i've completely abandoned that genre.

looking forward to MGS3 here as well as soon as it's getting cheaper. but there's no way that i pay 60 euros for that.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah , UT 2k3 and 2k4 both seem to move slower by default from UT, also , the sniper rifle was nerfed somwhat ... i used to love poping heads in UT , the ai is crazy on 2k4 , on inhuman you can sneak up on a bot and hold the flack cannon to there head , in the time it takes for you to finnish pressing the button , they have ducked , dodged and headshoted you... well at least its a challenge smile.gif

Gran turismo 3 , ive played it to 50% about 3 times , and then stopped playing for ages , so i keep starting again ... i will evenually finnish it ...

dont think ill finnish silent hill 1 , and 4 isnt too imressive ...

i will probly finnish Tony hawks underground 2 some time even if it does feel like they had a jackass game , and a TH game , and both were 1/4 complete , so they melted the 2 together and called it underground 2 ....
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    BREED <shudder>