Home General Discussion

Snowed in....

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Is anyone else here in the U.S getting DUMPED on with snow?
Dear god, here in Reno, we're getting SLAMMED with it. I love the snow and all, but I can't go anywhere! We got 1 1/2ft the day before new years, and this morning we've already recieved another 5 inches. By Monday morning, they are expecting to have an additional 22-26inches of snow.

This is the biggest snow storm in Reno's history, and the city is totally unprepared. They had to CONTRACT hire snow plows, and even still there are only 18 for the entire city. Nevada DOT (Dept of Trans) made a press statement, saying that they won't be plowing residential areas for probably another week or two! So I'm stuck at home now, working via VPN so I can at least get my job done still confused.gif

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it kind of sucks. I live in Janesville, CA, which is about 70 miles NW of Reno. This is the most snow I've seen since I've lived here.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in Canada but I'm getting dumped on with snow. A lot.

And Poop is coming to visit me next month and I haven't bought my ass protection shield yet.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Damn. We don't even have that much snow where I live here in Michigan. Of course when we get a foot and a half here it doesn't mean much, hehe. Everybody has a snow plow here. My neighbor even has one attached to his riding mower for plowing our shared driveway.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think global warming is starting to show its ugly consequences...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea no kidding. It's like The Day after Tomorrow :P. Scientists say it's going to happen, but it won't be THAT drastic of course. They estimate between 15-20yrs for the entire ice age cycle to finish, not 3 days. wink.gif
    Hey, I wouldn't mind moving to sunny Mexico! laugh.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    hurray for climate change.

I hope everyones enjoys the burning summer we can look foward to.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting. I haven't seen a snowflake for weeks. You guys stole our snow! Give it back!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    While not quite snowed in, its mighty snowy in my part of town.
    I've lived in Vegas for nearly 10 years and I've never seen this much snow here! I woke up and was so excited!
    However, over by my work, its just a really chilling rain.
    Now Im all dissappointed. No snowball fights with the coworkers.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    wtf? I'm out sweating in 70 degree heat. What can I do with all those sweaters I got for christmas? I want snow!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wait wait wait, Poop is coming to Eastern Ontario? My plan of getting to punch him right in the face is materializing!
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I'm near chicago, got about 9 inches here, hardly being snowed in, almost all schools are still open. But it'll be up in the 40's this weekend and next week, so it'll all be gone in a few days. What a wimpy winter.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Man...I have yet to see any snow...I heard that most of it was estimated to come in February, but I don't think they can tell that yet.

Though it was close to 70 degrees on January first...what the hell is that?! I want some damn snow!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm near chicago, got about 9 inches here, hardly being snowed in, almost all schools are still open. But it'll be up in the 40's this weekend and next week, so it'll all be gone in a few days. What a wimpy winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 2 hours NE from Chicago so we've got pretty much the same weather here. Some snow but nothing like the blizzard that hit back on Thanksgiving. tongue.gif
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    We're banking about 10 inches so far here in Madison. The plow dudes seems to start a day late so it's been an adventure getting to work. High five for SUVs? wink.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    It just started snowing where I am, about 45 mins east of Seattle. After growing up and living in SoCal my whole life, I think it's awesome. Of course, we'll see what my attitude is after about of month of having deal with it. smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Bahahahaaaa you desert rats get all the snow, you can keep it cause i dont want it back :P
    /me is so happy that this winter is almost snow free here laugh.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    no, it hasnt snowed here alot at all. god damn it, its NEW YORK CITY, in early january, with no snow. i love snow frown.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I'm here in Port Coquitlam B.C. and we have enough snow to make a big mess of the streets. It's not warm enough to melt either, so we're stuck with this for a while I think *sighs*

I grew up with snow in Montreal, so I don't miss it....or want it. Especially after *just* returning from San fran eh?

-R
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brome: He's coming to Montreal (over a weekend I think), I dunno if he has planned a trip to Ontario. Nooooo idea. But if you were to come down here... my place is big enough. You wouldn't even have to sleep in the same room as poop (cause who wants to do that)

Back on topic,

I wore my new oversized boots again today. I can't walk in these things but they keep my feet warm. There's so much snow everywhere yesterday I almost drowned on the sidewalk near my home.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn well...they're expecting us to get another 15-20 inches form this storm that's hitting us now. We already have 2-2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. This is INSANE for Reno...
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Don't beleive a word of it go on show us some pics then? wink.gif

tpe
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I was lucky to get out of Reno while I could. I've lived in TX all my life so I've never seen so much snow before. We took a different track home thinking it would be bad going through the mountains around Vegas but Utah sucked ass on the way home. They are getting a Blizzard too.

Klein, Poop mentioned a trip up to your area and I told him I might tag along. Don’t know if it’s the same trip or not. I'll be up in Boston by that time. Oh and rooming with poop isn't that bad, but if you have to share a bed with him, I'd highly recommend a heavy enforcement of the "above covers/below covers" rule! BOUNDARIES BEN! BOUNDARIES! FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, BOUNDARIEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!! …espn

- BoBo
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo! Glad to see you guys made it home in one piece wink.gif
    It was nice to finally work with you. Things are crazy here, the parking stall roof overhangs are actually collapsing from the snow. A few buildings down, one collapsed and took out a pimped out Honda, and a Toyota pickup.

As requested, here are some pics! I took em about 5 min ago.

snow1.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    snow4.jpg

They keep coming by and plowing, as well as clearing off those carport overhangs. It just keeps on piling up though! nuts! Also, that snow by the camper is about 4ft deep right now....lots of drift and wind blowing snow all over. In most areas though, it's about 3ft deep right now, pure powder on ice.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Excelent, wish i was there smile.gif Looks pretty chilli tho...

tpe
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    now that's a nice blizzard!
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit vas, thats even worse than montreal :O

Bobo:
    Awesome. Poop said he'd be coming in mid February. So if you're near Montreal at that time by all means drop by smile.gif I have enough room to house you, you'd just need to bring something to sleep on as Poop and I will be sharing my bed cool.gif (ben if you read this and wetting your pants right now, I'm kidding smile.gif)

I told bmer about you coming btw, and he thinks we should hang out smile.gif I totally agree!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha
    Yea, it was pretty bad. Out of the 40 parking stall overhangs in our apartment complex, 32 of them collapsed from the snow. Luckily ours didn't. There's a total of about 25 cars that got destroyed from it. Fortuneatly, no person got injured.
    It was 40 degrees yesterday, so about 1/2 foot of snow melted. It all turned to ice last night though (low of 28). So the roads have about 4 inches of ice on them right now. Needless to say, I'm working from home again today wink.gif

If I can, I'll walk around later and try to take some pics of the stall overhangs - some of them are just mangled piles of sheet metal now. It's crazy.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    WHaaa bobo and poop in montreal, whaaaa
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i never met you b1ll. D:
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AHAahah

Im like a ghost!

I probably saw u while I was at ubi I bet tho

You were there before I quit right?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    We had around 12°C today. It's freaking January, it's supposed to be -12°C! Well, okay, I'm thankful for the warm weather while I work because we were cleaning parks and emptying trash bins today.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah started august 2nd, 5th floor smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some pics of the collapsed stall overhangs. Notice the cherry corvette, which is no more....poor guy.

crash1.jpg
    crash2.jpg
    crash3.jpg
    crash4.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    shocked.gif that blows.... doh!

i always hated those overhang things, they scare me. now - my fears are justified. smile.gif

getting snowed in sucks.. but fun. Ohio got DUMPED on the wednesday before christmas - i was driving there form North Carolina to visit family when i was suckerpunched by 18 inches of sleet-snow. the roads sucked frown.gif

its been in the 60-70F here in NC lately smile.gif i expect we're going to get blasted soon though... maybe in 3 weeks.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    3 cars in ditch this morning and a semi jack knifed. Right now the rain is freezing so it will really get interesting on drive home with the fellow Idiots.
    Rain is super rare here this time of year, very strange year.
    Global warming has to be affecting us right?