Home General Discussion

Appleseed movie

lkraan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
lkraan polycounter lvl 18
Did anybody see this yet? Got the DVD not too long ago and I've watched it twice since. Good story with a good pace and lots of action.
I really like it and it's much closer to the manga than the first movie.
The design and whole look of everything rocks but I wouldn't expect less from mr. Shirow. And I liked the CG a lot. Great mix of cel shaded with "normal" rendering.

apple11.jpgapple25.jpg
apple35.jpgapple29.jpg

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Someone at work got it last month. We sat down, the intro was amazing - then we discovered it was Japanese language only - no dubbing or subtitles. I gave up after about 20 minutes.

I'm looking forward to one I can understand.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The CG felt very wierd and the horrible music totally ruined it for me, would loved to hear something like the gits soundtrack. That would have make it about 10 times better.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    paa im no zero!, you cant beat the manga smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it a lot.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    action sequences were impressive, and the 3D landmates were great... but the 3D characters felt far too lifeless and plastic-y. i would have liked to see it be a 2D/3D combo like GitS:I or Beautiful World, but kudos to them to try the whole thing in 3D.
    probably the most disappointing was the story. for as fresh as shirow's mechanical designs still seem, his stories get more and more hilariously dated. the exposition heavy dialogue sequences invest no humanity in the characters and serve mostly as a completely predictable lead-in for another action sequence, and the characters as a whole have no characters. now i'm sure that some of that is due to them collapsing several volumes into one film, but deunan was about only vaguely sympathetic character.
    what really gets me is the combination of knock-over-the-head subtle greek mythology names for certain characters (gee, i wonder what general hades is like?) mixed with a random name like carl for deunan's father is disconcerting at best.
    so anyhow... the intro (great choice of Basement Jaxx for music) and the final action sequence are really enjoyable to watch, but overall the story just glides on the audience's presupposed love of Shirow's work. even though GitS:I was filtered through the particular sensibilities of Mamoru Oshii, i found it a much more satisfying film.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed this movie. The cel shaded CG characters were beautiful; I wouldn't be surprised if all big budget sci fi anime used this process from now on.

As an animator, I have a general disliking of mo-cap, and there's always the immediate realization of, "oh, that's mo-cap" whenever you see it. Appelseed does a fantastic job of using of mo-cap. The movements are all very fluid and believable and the lip sync is awesome (for spoken Japanese, of course). This movie showed me that, when it's done right, mo-cap can be a very handy tool.

The story won't blow you away, but I thought it was competent, in a Matrix One sort of way (semi-intriguing back story to show off fancy-cool action). Recommended, at least for the visual stimulation/education.