Home General Discussion

France VS EA

Ribking
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ribking polycounter lvl 18
I thought this would've been posted already. Anyhoo...It is gaming news, so I thought it should be shared amongst all of the Polycounters. And Happy New Year everyone.

From IGN
[ QUOTE ]

France versus EA
The French Government is about to challenge everything.
By Jeremy Dunham

January 3, 2005 - According to a report from Yahoo! UK Finance, Ubisoft Entertainment could soon be receiving support from the French government in its bid to combat a takeover from US videogame monolith, Electronic Arts.
Yahoo's article was inspired by a piece that French newspaper La Tribune ran over the Holiday Break. Though the sources for the Tribune item were never disclosed, it claimed that the French government has been watchful of gaming studios based in its country for months. Particularly in terms of how likely they are for a takeover. Ubisoft owns almost 20 of these studios and the heads for most of them are said to be very weary of a potential EA buyout. The reason? An EA takeover would supposedly mark the end of French-based decisions in the videogame industry.
Ubisoft officials have gone on record by saying that it has not had talks with EA "at present" about its 19.9 percent purchase of its capital. Furthermore, it was said, "In light of recent news spread by the press, Ubisoft's board of directors reiterates that, in the absence of information from Electronic Arts regarding its intentions, the latter's acquisition of the group's capital is unsolicited and currently considered hostile. Moreover, there are no negotiations between the two parties at present."
Newspaper Les Echos reported on December 29 that Ubisoft would gather some of its largest shareholders later this week in an effort to convince them not to give support to Electronic Arts. Furthermore, Ubisoft is considering various options to defend itself should the need arise. Increasing the holding of the Guillemot family, for instance, is among one of its chief tactics. As the Guillemot's have 17.5% of the shares and 26.6% of the voting rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    now who am I supposed to root for, the french, or the evil gaming company...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I hope the French win this. French-developed and influenced games always seem to have a cool style (I guess it must be something in the French air, Pior breathes it...) wink.gif

And the French government are often found supporting the arts and entertainment industries in their country, for promoting culture and stuff. It's a good idea!

MoP
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I like the French more and more these days.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I think the French government is acting fantastically. Its great to see a government who will actively involve themselves with art relarted industries to try to protect the interests of their homegrown companies.
    I totally understand Ea buying into Ubisoft (essentially prepairing to cripple them, prevent takeover or decrease the prospect of further investment in the company to enable them to further monapalyse the games industry) but I am hopeful that this will not be the case and that Ubi successfully combat the move.
    It is sad that the british government has not taken more of an interest in the gaming industry as there are no strong british based publisher left.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm rootin' for the Frenchies! It's too bad the only govt groups that really get involved in the US game industry are the ones that want to legislate it to death or put blame on the industry for societies problems.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I know Ubisoft, but is Vivendi French as well?
    Where was the US government with its support for our industry when THOSE two were purchasing up US & canadian developers?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, guys but government involvement is always a sure way to kill all creativity.

I am all for having gov money in education, pulic health & transportation and other basic needs, but nothing good will come out of the government supporting gaming companys.

Exspecially when the money doesn't go to the small developers who need the money badly, but to one of the biggest (almost as evil as EA wink.gif ) game publisher like Ubisoft.

The US govenment should better restict EA to prevent another innovation killing monopoly like Microsoft.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Har! Tom Clancy's Medal of Honor!
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I would like Ubisoft to stay independent and as much as I like the French I don't agree with government involvement.

Ubisoft chose themselves to sell parts of their company in the form of shares and to make themselves a public company.
    In return for doing this the company will gain a lot of capital and management received a nice chunk too.

The flipside of doing this is that you hand over a large part of the control over the future away to the shareholders. Management will always try to stay one of the largest shareholders but for the rest it's out of their hands.

Any company who does good business and why has strong and powerfull competitors know that there will be attempts to buy you. And if you're a pulic company you partly won't be even able to control it.

So in a way Ubisoft can only blame themselves for this. The chose to cash in on their business success by going public.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You know how anal the french can be about culture and they consider videogames culture (there was an official decision on this).
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    well , i would like to see more "different" culture bases making video games , look how different the japanese make games to the americans , more diversity please. less monopolys...
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with THermidor, the games industry benefits more from diversity, not big publishers grabbing up everything they can get their hands on.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    It's not gunna happen. I don't think anyone's gunna bail out Ubi. I also dont think EA will complete the aquisition in the near future.

-R
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    god damn... EA must be saving shitloads of money by not paying their employees their overtime and shit... I mean come on... they locked out NFL and now they want to buy out french companies? LOL man... EA is gonna rule the world ... or at the very least the world is gonna be split between EA and M$
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I supose at the very least, EA has proved the games industry is more than somthing to ocupy teens, (which is what it used to be seen as) if its not now , i would put my bets on the games industry being the biggest western industry very soon , seeing as the chinese make everything else . its probly the only industy we (the western world)have a chance of competeing in prices. i wouldnt blame any government for trying to hang onto that .
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Having worked for two different French companies so far, I'm in support of Ubisoft, as long as the two companies I worked for end up being destroyed. smile.gif ...actually, they are both near death, so it looks like things are working out OK.

I think it's nice that the French government is thinking of trying to keep a foothold in the game industry, and supporting Ubisoft in some minor way (such as permitting an expidited merger with Vivendi) won't somehow corrupt the game companies, although corporations are pretty much inherently corrupt by nature.