Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tom Cruise samurai model

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
clee101 polycounter lvl 18
Here are final shots of my stylized version of Tom Cruise from The Last Samurai movie:
samuraifinal1.jpg

samuraifinal2.jpg

www.leechris.com

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, the detail on some of the clothing is impressive.
    However I would say the texture and proportions still need some work before it'd be an excellent version of the original character.

Mainly I think with the mesh, the legs are too long, Tom Cruise is pretty short, definitely not "superhero" proportions, and I think either the legs are too long, or the head is too small, so it's not looking quite like him proportionally.

On to the texture... On the whole it's too bright, IMHO. His hair is definitely a lot darker in the film, it's not that light brown, it's edging closer to black. Likewise the red samurai armour is not that "red", it's a darker, shinier crimson shade.
    The main thing the red parts of the armour are lacking, are the sharp white highlights you'd expect for varnished wood (which I believe is what those "slats" are made out of. In general the colour of the wood should be darker all over, with some smaller whitish-red highlights to show the shininess of the material. Right now it kinda looks like red plastic.
    The same goes for the collar/chest armour support (the blue hexagons with red centres) ... that in general should be a lot darker (it certainly was in the film), likewise the red should not be so bold and bright.

His face doesn't look quite like Tom Cruise, either, I can't quite figure out why not. Possibly his face is too narrpw, or the chin is too tall, but there's definitely something that is keeping it from looking truly like tom cruise. He has a very distinctive nose too, and I don't think you've quite captured the shape.

That said, there are superb parts to the texture, like the cloth under his shoulderpads - very accurate and true to the film.

The toe part of the boots seems to lack any sort of form or detail - it's not clear what's happening there (although I couldn't ever find good references for his lower legs when I was making a version of this character too, so that might be why).

Very good work overall, I believe it just needs some extra work on the mesh and texture before it's a perfect likeness.

MoP
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Wow realy nice job!
    Dont know if you find it important, but the red color in the movie is a bit diffrent.. more dark. Same for his hair its now kinda redisch, but hes dark brown.
    For the rest great job.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I saw this on the pic of the day at the polycount home
    page. I was blown away, it looks just like
    tom cruise and a samurai, its so awsome. Good job man.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -MoP, Thanks for your crit/feedback. I know the porportions are not real life, and I did that on purpose. I wanted to create my version of Tom Cruise from the Last Samurai with heroic porportions and a brighter version of the red armor to show some style and not just a dead-on copy. However, I do agree with you on the texture of the armor which should be more like varnished wood. I was thinking of using some bumpmapping, but I havent tried it. Any good tips on bumpmap?
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I do think is nose is a wee bit to small. Cruise has a monster of a nose, it looks abit more like Viggo Mortensen. Cruise also has a wider nose
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Great work, love the effort to the likeness. I wouldn't do a prerender for a game model, especially prerendered light; personally i find viewport grabs the best.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP, I would like to see your version of Tom Cruise samurai that you said you worked on. Ill be fixing up on the pointers you guys said about the likeness, and Im gonna be doing some other stuff to it to improve it. Thanks!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, mine was a high-poly version I was working on. I never really got past the modelling stage, but it did mean I had to look at a hell of a lot of reference pics (and watch the film a few times! wink.gif )...

The only pics I have online are:
    http://grevesons.users.btopenworld.com/tomwip1.jpg
    http://grevesons.users.btopenworld.com/tomwip2.jpg

Like I say, I never finished the model... this was done just over a year ago. I keep wanting to revisit it - the armour model is ok but the face needs a lot of work. I never got round to doing hair either - I don't have a plugin for that, and I'd hate to try and model his hair by hand, in high-poly...

Cool that you're gonna do a little more work on this - I can't wait to see how great it looks when you're done! smile.gif

MoP
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a bit of fixes I did to the likeness. Im also doing some more details to his hair. Ill keep posting..

tomheadshot1.jpg

tomheadshot2.jpg

-MoP, those high poly version are looking great so far. You should keep working on it and finish it.
  • Idane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idane polycounter lvl 18
    The eyes need to be squintier and the forehead need to be pushed back a little.

last-samurai.jpg

Oh and his hair seems to flat on his head, puff it out abit more.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Idane, yes I also have that reference picture, and I have tons more. But all the pics dont show his eyes squinted. Im modeling off a reference where his eyes are not squinting too much. The squinting will be done through animations of his facial expressions. Im kind of going for a neutrual state. And yes his hair needs more work which Im working on now.
  • Idane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idane polycounter lvl 18
    Here I made you a paint over of what I mean

paintover.jpg
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    I like this very much; cool movie, cool model! Apart from the face it's an amazing model and the face is only not amazing because it has to look pretty much exactly like Cruise - if it wasn't for trying to make the modle look like Cruise himself, it would be amazing as well smile.gif

I however totally agree with Idane's paintover - especially the nose is very important to get his face right. You might want to desaturate and darken the red into a crimson-brownish color and his purple clothes under it definitely need to be darker from what I recall and see on my DVD.
  • Spydeys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spydeys polycounter lvl 18
    i like it
    but i think the armor is a bit too colory and bright, look on that picture above,it looks more dark ,
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres the next update, (Im still working on the hair):

tomheadshot3.jpg
  • Idane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idane polycounter lvl 18
    Good job, the nose and the eyes look alot better!

Once you get the hair edited it will look great, keep up the great work!
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Looking better and better.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres my latest:

tomheadshot4.jpg

tomshot1.jpg
  • Idane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idane polycounter lvl 18
    Beuatiful dude, very very good! Thank you for following my crits.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Idane. You really helped me alot.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Now for those little things that make it perfect, add a grunge layer on overlay to the plates and fix the colors like so.

paintover.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Its really looking great clee. I would suggest following TGZ's advice, but keeping some of the saturation you have currently. Also you might want to check out the hair tutorial on my site.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I think this looks really good , looks like cruse as well smile.gif

in your dulled down version , i think you should give areas that are clean , (the parts that would be worn ...
  • alex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alex polycounter lvl 18
    Simply badass. I give you kudos!
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    simply awsome ! one pernickety thing tho.. the armour plating (on the shoulders at least) is layered the wrong way it should be layerd opposatly to how you have it.. its meant to stop the sword from sliding up wherease on yours it wouldnt be stoped.. But thats just me being relly silly now! this is a great peice of work!

Jody
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this model is fantastic!! I really can't believe my eyes.

My only gripes are your UV mapping skills. For example, on the collar, imagine the join there with the warping being two bits of fabric sewn together? So why not uv map them seperately and banish the warping!!

v.nice stuff dude. What are you gonna use him for?