Cannon polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Bah. I love the film, but I've grown tired of better editions of DVDs being released months or years after I've purchased the original. Sometimes I get burned for buying (I bought The Professional on DVD about a month before the Leon extended addition was announced) and sometimes I get burned for waiting (I still don't own Blade Runner on DVD because I guess I'm still holding out for the long-promised-but-infinitely-delayed special edition.) Fifth Element is one of the most superbly designed films I've ever seen, but as this edition doesn't add any new footage to the actual film, I'll just stick with the copy I have).
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    But, but...but...it's got trivia. Come on. How can you pass that up?
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Seeing as how my life is a largely trivial pursuit, I think I can manage without tongue.gif
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Well seeing how I only own the VHS of the Fifth Element, I will be buying this.

Though I know what you mean about the annyoance of special editions for movies. I remember how pissed my friend was when he opened his hellboy dvd case to then recieve a rebate for the Hellboy:Special edition dvd.

Though I also know what you mean about holding out for movies, I'm still waiting for the supposed Kill Bill Special edition...
  • Artreth
    Offline / Send Message
    Artreth polycounter lvl 18
    I have the old laserdisc version and I have no reason to upgrade, yet.

Just gotta love how studios churn out a new dvd version of older films just to get some extra dough. I think there are around 5-6 versions of the Dawn of the Dead(the original) and just an hour ago I saw they were rereleasing Evangelion on new "platinum" dvds(the case was in platinum).

It's one thing to upgrade from one media to another - like me, I got Aliens on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD - but upgrading on the same format is pretty greedy, except when they are remastering the original dvd from top to bottom.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Well with those platinum edtion things, I think they're trying to target completionists and collectors. I mean as long as they keep releasing stuff for it they will keep buying it.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    leeloo multipass
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it's probably just me but the original cover picture was way cooler than this new one.
    as for buying extended edition stuff - generally i don't do it. i'm not interested in the same kind of "this director is SO good to work with"-interviews with the actors and the same old sfx-making of's, trailers and the like.

also, imho often the original cinema version cut's are better - more to the point and without the fat that's probably only interesting to die-hard fan's.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Go watch apocolaypse now redux.

Now

And don't make any plans because its like 5 hours long and you'll need another 3 hours afterwards because you will be so blown away.
  • Mojo2k
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    wow yea, new cover is horrible.
  • Cannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannon polycounter lvl 18
    saw Apoc Now redux, liked it but yea...definitely too long now lol.
  • lkraan
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Like the 5th element and didn't have it yet so I'm going to add this one to my wish list.

It does suck that very often a special edition DVD comes out not long after the "normal" DVD. Or worse another release after a special edition.

I want the Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD but am reluctant to buy the current box because I am sure that an even bigger box with even more cool things will be released.
    Same with Star Wars ... Didn't buy the original trilogy because next x-mas an uber box will probably be released with all 6 movies and a heap of extra's.