Home General Discussion

Created a PC gamer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
swampbug polycounter lvl 18
I bought my cousin (hes 15 i think) Half-life 2 for x-mas.
We played it at his house with his little brother also. The game ran SO-so. But the computer needed upgraded.
I figured he'd enjoy it, or never play it again because it was a PC game.

Next week,
He called me up saying his dad upgraded the computer to work even better. Got more ram and a Geforce card. He said it runs sooo much better and that hes at the gravity gun part. To my surprise thats alot father than I thought hes be.

The best line came when he said.. Its wierd going back to the PS2 to play a FPS.

In my head I was all. "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!take that console games!!!!!!!!"

I told him, once you expirence a good PC game and use a mouse/ keyboard, you'll almost never want to go back.

I hope i just set his standards for the rest of his gaming life smile.gif

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Amen.

BTW swamp, do you have MSN or ICQ?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I know console gamers who think they're the mutt's nuts at Halo 2, or some such new console FPS game - and they control it with 2 crappy little joysticks.
    They can beef it up all they want, but the truth is, no console method comes close to pure mouse + keyboard when it comes to FPS games. The only way you could even get near it would be to ramp up the joystick acceleration so that when you nudged the stick, you went spinning round - then spend years developing total precision controlling tiny movements of the stick.
    Basically if there's someone directly behind you in Halo 2, turning round to face them is gonna take half as long as it takes for them to kill you. With a mouse you could just spin round and BLAM. So much easier.

I'm a pretty average FPS player, I've played Halo2 a couple of times (and lost abysmally), and I'm fairly confident that, if placed against an average-skilled player with a console controller, while I was using mouse + keyboard, I'd be able to beat them more often than not.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I much prefer fighting games, racing games, sports games, and RPG's, so consoles are a better fit for me. I play RTS and FPS at the office a lot, too, but I like the console experience better. i.e. lounging on the couch with the girlfriend, or my little bro.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    snowfly- totaly, totaly agree. that's the one thing that consoles rule ass over pcs at.

that being said, i have to agree with the anti-console sentiment on these boards. i'll tell you what MoP- when i get a damn job (which should be soon. i hope) then i'll get an xbox and a keybaord adaptor and we can rape people muhahah

i don't know if i've mentioned it, so forgive me if i have, but i've got a friend who thinks that a mouse in fps' is cheating. he says that it's relating the aiming system down to a 2d surface, where all you ahve to do is move from point a to point b. a joystick is different because you have to pick an angle, a pressure, and a time of application. quite frankly i think that human beings look around by aiming from point a to point b but try telling him that.

anyway. quite possibly one of the stupidest, longest lasting arguments i've ever had.

good for you swampbug! one more down, a few hundred million more to go hehehe
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Yay for PC gaming !!!!!!111111111

Consoles are good for....hmmm Dance Dance Revolution?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I prefer console games for every genre except 1st person shooters, I think I can only name 2 games I have played on the pc that are not 1st person shooters.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Just make sure he doesn't try to post on the internet until he finishes high school or atleast flunks out.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    heeh.

I like cartoony story adventures for consoles.

And realism for PC.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I tried playing Halo2 on the Xbox with my little bro. In fact, I played for nearly 8 hours straight. After all that time, I still had no clue how to use the controls well. PC all the way for FPS.

I do prefer consoles for gaming such as Prince of Persia, where aiming and realism aren't a factor...and buttom combination speed up the action.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    another thing that i like about pc games is that you can customize and make custom art and mods for your game, i think its a pretty damn good feeling playing a game with a model or skin you created yourself, i only play my PS2 for San Andreas, but when it comes out for pc, then my PS2 is going back under my bed
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Found this posted in a thread at Slashdot. Pretty funny...yet so true.

[ QUOTE ]
    My wife's two youngest brothers are 13 and 14. They love there XBox (and Halo 2), and got incredibly upset when I told them that it wasn't really that revolutionary. They really believed that Halo was the first FPS with online game play, so I showed them some great FPSes on the PC (Doom 1&2, Quake 1-3, HL, and Unreal). They couldn't believe that people had been playing online for years. Then I showed them mods and how to download and choose your own model and skin. I swear, they almost lost it. They immediately wanted me to show them how to make models and skins, which I'm not talented at. I tried to explain 3D modeling to them, but it didn't go over very well.

In general, they just want their computers to boot up and let them download all of the free music that they can find. They're not interested in learning how to make the computer to do what they want, just how to make it get the songs that they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll see those kids here soon requesting someone to design a Master Chief model for UT2k4. laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    We'll see those kids here soon requesting someone to design a Master Chief model for UT2k4.

Which makes absolutely zero sense as there's a mod called Project Torlan that's ripping pretty much everything from Halo and puts it into UT2004 so everyone gets to experience how much the flood sucks!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I went off pc games . got sick of them crashing every five minutes.
    Give me jak and daxter anyday
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    while i wont praise one side or the other, as i love them both, there is one thing that console fps have that pc games do not.. pressure sensitive controls.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I played CS for about 5 years, and I was very good.

I started playing Halo for XBOX, and I became good.

Which one is better? They each have their applications, I think a console stick is good for non stop action FPS, but falls behind a bit when it comes to finess. I can still 3 shot someone in the head on Halo, but on computer I can headshot anyone almost instantly, so it just boils down to the game IMO.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i'm on both sides of this, i like halo (x-box and PC) and like halo2, i recently got a mouse/keyboard adapter for xbox to play halo 2, and while i have not had much practice using it. i currently like the x box controler better, just feels more natural for that game, it is anoying not being able to control the walk/run like you can with the analog stick, i just find the analog stick to be much better for controling chars movement, altho the mouse is better for controling aiming, its a mixed bag for me.

i playa bout half half console and pc games now days
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    i've got a friend who thinks that a mouse in fps' is cheating. he says that it's relating the aiming system down to a 2d surface, where all you ahve to do is move from point a to point b. a joystick is different because you have to pick an angle, a pressure, and a time of application.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion - complete bollocks.confused.gif You're still moving a cursor across a 2d plane - TV or Monitor, only the pointing device has changed. Aiming in console FPS's is 'dumned down' to allow for the greatly limited range of movement available with a controllers' thumb joystick. There are games which are better on PC/Console of course. FPS's belong on PC, as does any game with an extensive menu system (like any complex RTS). Look what happened to Deus Ex Invisible War when the menu system was too unwieldy for the Xbox - it turned to shit. Don't get me wrong - I play and love console games, Ape Escape is a fantastic game for playstation, using the analog controllers to their fullest potential, but FPS's belong on PC - did I already say that?