Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[3D Pimp] UT2004 Playermodel Lupine Male

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
The plan is to animate this with custom moves and get him into UT2K4. The geometry is done, and the map assignmentws are sone, so now it goes to rigging and weighting. This is in Maya, and I may release an SDK, and an SDK for Max as well, if there is interest. FO without further ado, here are the wires:
Lupjnewires.gif

The Render
Armourportrait.jpg

and the Roration
ArmorPose-TH.jpg

I'm not gonna post any flats, because I don't want Poop to laugh at me, but suffice it to say they are inefficiently laid out, with an eye towards minimal distortion rather than texture space efficiency. :0

SO, well, tel me what you think. There willbe a female version, and I am sillworking on that Imperial Japanese Soldier, but he's inno shape to show yet.

Scott

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    This is great! I really like. But I feel the fur could be a bit sharper and just get rid of the seam on the side of his face. Cant wait to see the armor!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If only the 3D paint tool had a "clone" option :-) But I will be attacking the seams I can. Some are a bit of a problem. But thank you for thekind words.

Scott
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    How well do you think the UT engine will handle the sorting of the layered transparencies?
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    I love the face! Pretty cute stuff.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    How well do you think the UT engine will handle the sorting of the layered transparencies?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. the Engine has not been kind to transparencies since Unreal 99, So, it's going to be a surprise. but since its all part of the same mesh, I HOPE that everything works well. The Alpah Transparency Hair in the official models seems to be fine, and there are a few Custom player models with alphas. Apparently it's one thing to have transparencies, and quite another to have transparencies, reflections, and others on the same shader in the same mesh. If it works, it work. If it doesn't, then I go back to working on the Japanese Soldier. It may be a hit on the engine that both materials are going to be flagged "2 sided".

Scott
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice looking model. Should be very cool to see in UT2k4.

However, I was under the impression that having the alpha transparencies all part of the same mesh, would make the sorting worse, not improve it? You could always try 1-bit alpha and see how that looks. If the texture is 1024x1024, it would probably look ok, and the sorting would be fine.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How does one set that in the UED? OR do I just make a separate 1 Bit Alpha? Yes it's 1024, so it should not look like too much ass.

Scott
  • Artreth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artreth polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good only thing I'd want to see is more powerful hind legs, since he is standing on two instead of 4.

Maybe add some blood around his mouth smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the skin. I plan on doing a few, several in fact. As for the legs, they'll do on this one, I wasn't trying for a "Quentin" look.

Scott
  • LeJomphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeJomphe polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet model, the face really came out nice. The tail construction is interesting way work... I might just try that on the horse to see if it helps make it look better happens.
  • CleanerWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CleanerWolf polycounter lvl 18
    ooo.gif
    Woohoo! Again a lupine model from Scott! crazy.gif
    *jumps around*
    I am working on a wolf model too, but now I can skip the UT2004 version and just concentrate on the HL2 version grin.gif
    Thanx Scott, keep up the great work. He looks very sweet so far, cannot wait to see him in the game. cool.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    You can use the crappy Maya 3d paint clone stamp to clean up the seams as a final pass, make sure it is the last thing you do to the texture as it paints directly on the .tga. I believe this feature was added to Maya 5.0 I have used it for low poly work and it was a huge time saver.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up Malcom. I'm using Maya 6, so I''l poke around to see it. oddly several folks here at castaway paint their preliminary skins in the Maya paint tool. One of them in Grey scale only, and the other, just paints like he was taught in painting school. Bit then tighten up the details in Photoshop.

Cleaner HL2 seems to have a rather difficult character path at the moment. Good luck, besides I like UT's multiplayer better than HL's for the moment. But thanks for the Kind Words.

Scott
  • CleanerWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Scott:
    Yep, making characters for HL2 seems to be rather complicated.
    Of course, UT2004 has better multiplayer, but my model will be for the Dracten Mod. The good thing with HL2 is, that I can use Softimage XSI, which is my favorite 3D app at the moment.
    Will you do own animations for your model or just bind it to one of the existing skeletons and animations?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    looking really nice Scott. One thing I would push is some dark spots in the fur to imply that it is thick. Right now the value is so light all over, its like its a solid shell of fur, you could get it looking more volumetric with small spots of dark like the underfur is showing through.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but fur is one of thse textures that I have not mastered well. But you are correct on that. In my thiking most texture maps are temporary until the day they ship. Never finished. (Mostly because I suck at color). I'll see you this Weekend. Hopefully I'll learn something.

Scott
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

The good thing with HL2 is, that I can use Softimage XSI, which is my favorite 3D app at the moment.
    Will you do own animations for your model or just bind it to one of the existing skeletons and animations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well good luck with the mod.

I will be doing all custom animations for the male and the female. and if I can swing it, some dynamic simulations to bake in for the cloth parts. With Maya, it's fun to animate if you have a good rig. I don't know XSI well. The last time I used Soft Image was in 1993, and I did not have a high opinion of it then, much prefering Alias Power animator at the time.

Scott
  • CleanerWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I will be doing all custom animations for the male and the female. and if I can swing it, some dynamic simulations to bake in for the cloth parts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Cool! The female version will be based on Asheru, I guess smile.gif
    Will you release a SDK, so that others can help you with the skins?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. I think, though there isn't an SDK Thread yet. I can probably manage a MAX version of the mesh, and a Maya Version. Don't have any clue about XSI Formats.

Scott
  • CleanerWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fine. XSI can import 3ds and OBJ, so it shouldn't be a problem. And I am not restricted to XSI, it's just my favorite 3D app.
    About the tail of your model... would be interesting to see how it looks in the game, not only because of possible sorting problems, but also because the look seems to be very dependant on the viewing angle and the light direction.
    Some modern game engines can render fur through vertex shaders that build semi-transparent "fur shells" around the geometry. Look here to see the result. If someone could find a way to make such a shader in UT2004 that would be very helpful for everybody who wants to make furry creatures.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You can build those fur shells without any shaders as long as you get the sorting right. Could be a bit hard to get it right though since most exporters don't offer any control about that.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CleanerWolfThat shader, is pretty good. but it's based on multiple "shells" of the model where dots are arrayed on collumns our from the model. it's a common shader on the Nintendo, but not on the PC, as people have gone in different directions in terms of render optimization. Consoles wanted more shaders, and PC's wanted topmove textures more efficiently. I'd love a shader like that, but it's not in the cards for me yet.

KDR_11K Well what I was told is if I go to a 1 Bit alpha, separate, then that will always sort properly. and since the model is mapped on two 1024's the fur will still look okay. (at least I think) so that's the backup plan, at least according to Bobo_the_Seal over the Phone

Scott
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    Any updates on this?
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    just wondering, would it be possible to set up a cube map (ala UT2004) using shaders so that the kind of shading caused by the shell's depth would be more direct when facing the player and then rolling away farther to the edges of the cube map? so that the center was dead on full, and then the outside angled? also the cube map would have to be set as 2d coords or maybe use an enviroment map instead? It wouldn't work well for edges though. Food for thought.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    The edge flow is ugly, I'am wondering if that was what was intended? Because of the fur? Regardless it looks decent with a skin.
  • DerWerwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerWerwolf polycounter lvl 18
    That model pwns...I hope it gets released soon and everything works out alright. Oh and Cleaner I liked your q3 model even though I don't have q3 I was oing to get someone to convert it to JA for me but it never happend lol (with your permission or for jsut personal use of course)
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model Update: Got some more done on his armour. So his armour when released will be shiney but distressed Bronze. So with1 set of maps, I now am going to start rigging and weighting. If the rigging works then off to do the animation, all custom.
    Heres a pass at the armour, the butter yellow is for the bronze, but when done it will be an environment map. I can release an SDK for people interested in doing maps for themselves, but I will warn you, my mapping is a bit idosyncratic, and not efficient because I don't like Texture stretching.

2_5_05_th.jpg

So next up is to rig and weight him, and prividing the rigging goes well, then will come the animation, all custom (and that may take me a bit of time,as the job comes first (but with all the animation I am doing for Castaway, The practice is helping.) Thanks for the kind words and support.

CEP you may be correct, but having come out of a regime with hideuosly restricted polygon counts, I approach modelling with the mind that the silhouette comes first, then anything within it, like "good edge flow", which I am not yet a convert to). And a lot of this is due to the fins and shells for the fur.

My plan is to release this, and a few skins, and then a Female. and once I have base geometry and an animation set, I can do a few others based on these. (at least until I have to switch to Unreal 3).

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This is a hard thing to do Scott; give an animal a humanesque stance and demeanour. But i think you've pulled it off. The armour looks a little 'airbrushed' right now. I Perhaps it just needs some texture. Still perhaps it wont really matter If it's getting an env. map.

As for the edge flow issue, well, it's not nearly as important that a game resolution model has good edge flow as one intended for smoothing. But it's still important for deformation and to a certain extent how light bounces off the model. Looking at your mesh, I dont think youve done a horrible job. You have enough edge rows in the right places for deformation, it's just that they dont tend to be contiguos. Hard to say from this size, but you might have a couple of areas of redundant polygons. Check out some of b1lls wireframes If what you seek is more attractive edgeflow. Dont be afraid to use tris in a game model either. Somehow over the last couple of years people have started to believe that a game resolution model should be all quads. It's definitely easier to work in quads, since it's less stuff to deal with visually, but tris are a lot more efficient of course. I tend to triangulate areas of deformation and leave the rest as quads. That way when the engine triangulates the model automatically, the edges are flipped in the direction you want them and not the engine.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    That looks very good:) I was rather forward with my first post.
    I think the over all appearence is nicely done.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cep No worries. it's all good :-)

Daz it's even worse than you suspect! I have gotten spoiled by "per pixel" lighting where you can have the dog ugliest mesh, as long as it deforms nicely, and provides a good silhouette. Normal maps are your friend. Thanks for the kind words on the overall design though. I may snap things down here and there into tringles, but I had a quad version so I could practice musculature on it in Z-Brush. But with a versin like this, yeah I can go back and triangulate a few things.

Moz I have no clue at all on if that would work. Thanks for the tip though. "fresnel shaders do workin the engine. But I am limited in how many passes I can use.

Scott
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I have an update to make. Because this is going to be a fully custom model, for the cases when the character is hit by the Orbital Laser, The Link Gun, or stumbles into Hot Lava, the character needs a smoking blackened skeleton to display, and so I modeled one. Some of tht is from a previous Human skeleton I modeled. but there is a lot of custom pieces such as the skull, legs below the knees, and a significant reworking of the Pelvis. The completed skeleton is 3872 Triangles.
    SkeletonIn.gif

SkulFront.jpg
    Front

SkulSide.jpg
    Side

Skulback.jpg
    Back 3/4

SkeletonRotation_th.jpg
    Full Rotation

So with that, I need to Map the skeleton (the new parts), and then comes rigging and animation. Progress continues.

Scott
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    HOLY SHIT! that's is so COOL!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, nice stuff Scott. Looking forward to seeing this finished!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Very nice idea Scott. That all looks really good.
  • DerWerwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerWerwolf polycounter lvl 18
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Any updates?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, posted in the same day his update.

looking very nice, does the skellington hide inside the body till death and then... how does it work frown.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When the character is killed by the Link gun, the Orbital Cannon, and/or Molten lava, the models are swaped. If you look at a UT Character's UPL (the official ones and some custom ones), you can see they have a line for a replacement model. the skeleton is the replacement. Some of the Chaos UT2 Weapons also strip flesh from bones, so it's anice extra to have.

Scott
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    That's some big feet bones you have grandma.

Thick too. That mesh stands on it's own.

It would be cool to have both and scale the bones on the outter mesh to zero so you would have some meat some bone.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't really fit in UT2004 but it's so well done(so far) I have to download this.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am adressing the toes and cannon bones, now that I have better reference for those areas.

Weiser_Cain Thank you for the kind words. yeah stylistically it's not futuristic, but not everything has to be. Was going for a more "Sword and sandal" look, but without the sandals. With Chaos UT< you can use swords , axes, maces and Daggers, and if I can get the animation calls and sequence information off of that, I'll add those to the animation and perhaps this, and the female version using swords might look a bit more appropriate.

Scott
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i think it looks OK, they could be some kinda alien were-wolf like species who got dragged into the tourney, but aren't that tehnologically sophisticated, hence the 'primitive' clothes...
  • AlphaFoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlphaFoxx polycounter lvl 17
    Any updates on this? It was so promisingly.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    zomg thread revival above.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, progrtss has kind of stalled, because I hit a patch in maya, that I know nothing about. Basically what is preventing me from making the animation is the following:

1.) Figuring out a Dynamics solution for the secondary animation on the loin cloth, so that there is some colision, but having to be bones driven, with a fairly low sample rate so I can copy key frams from the beginning of a cycle back to the end.

2.) Some other rigging issues, as I am not a TD, and other than using the base company rig from Castaway, do not know how to integrate the dynamics into the base rig.

3.) scale difficulties

4.) A lot of questions on how to get custom animations into UT, and if the above mentioned scal problems are goingto be a problem, plus adding sockets and bone name aliases, and the like.

5.) learning the KAT tool properly for the karma collision model.

6.) which sequences have hard coded animation time limits, and which do not.

7.) how many of the sequences are necessary, and how many are repeats.

8.) What sequences are needed/added for use for a "melee" mod. Swordfighting ability would be good, if not esential for a "Sword & Sandal period model.

that's pretty much it.

If someone can hold my hand and use small words guiding me through this, it would probably take about 2 months to make the animation for these, and then the Female model could follow on, as well.

Scott
  • Alopexau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alopexau polycounter lvl 17
    I really, really hope someone can provide the necessary help. If not, consider crossposting a request in another forum or two?

I'd hate to have only just discovered this WIP only to never see it, and the proposed female counterparts released.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well everything is on hold, until my Demo Reel is complete and I have a new job. I may post the images of the "Barbequed Version", which is a smoked Skeleton in heat corroded armor, as that is the latest task done. But until then it's waiting on the rigging (and the demo reel).

Hawken Said
    [ QUOTE ]
    looking very nice, does the skellington hide inside the body till death and then... how does it work frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually how it works is that the model is "Swapped" at the point of Death. so it's actually a separate "character". whough it is bound to the same Rig, and Karma Critter, so that the transition is as seamless, when the outer body is blasted away as a green shell of polygons, the skeleton has a green "electricity" shader on it, until the person stops shooting it, and the skeleton then drops to the ground. It's be nice to figure out if I could attatch smoke particle emitters to it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Scott
  • CleanerWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott, maybe you should try a simpler version first. What I mean is, try to use a standard skeleton (the alien one with tail) and let your model use the animations from the standard skeleton. This way, you can see how your model looks in the game without much effort.
    Unfortunately, I don't know anything about exporting UT stuff from Maya, so I cannot help you frown.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it's the dynamics that are the pain, but the basic animationis easy. Just book keeping and animation. A lot of the moves are 1 frame. It's not the animation, as much as it's the Technical issues. I'm going to bull forward anyway. Wouldn't be true to myself if I didn't do it my way.

Scott
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    you *need* to make that skeleton a playable character, if you can figure out how to attach particle effects to players you can give it some glowing eyes and a glowing heart... Devil Dog!

best of luck on this, scott! i'd offer help but i'm not familiar with the character stuff for ut. (oh, and thanks again for the help you gave me on the cube map / shader stuff for that dodge magnum).
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a problem Oddly enough to do that, you HAVE to make the skeleton a playable model, because when the character dies, it's a swap of a complete model, and then the application of the Karma tools. Making the eyes glow would be easy, but making it smoke... Yeah I'll have to look into that.

Scott

Scott