Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Cutesy" Style characters

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
Meh - couldnt come up with a better topic name - you get the picture though.

The slug looking creature is 1186 polies - the other is 1592. Gonna try and get this one done fairly quikcly (yeah right!).

final_comp.jpg
for%20web%20-%20wires.jpg

Still minor tweaks to do on proportions n stuff. Does the poly-density look ok to everyone or should I try nad knock a few more polies from the non-slug guy's arms? Any glaring errors before I map these two?

Replies

• Fish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fish polycounter lvl 18
    i love the slug, hes so cool. Only thing that bothers me is the little guy and his really beefy hands. I dont think they reflect what the rest of his body looks like.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    awesome dude! this is a rare mix of style from what i normally see. very excellent work with the designs, the caustic cream filling is so well disguised with sugared marshmellows. the colors help a ton. love the slug, he is really cool.

i REALLY prefer the some forms in the concept drawing over the slight difference in the models - i can't really see what you've done with the cheek area, but i personally liked the following better: the thicker neck on the rider, the tusks in closer, i think the beak worked well in the concept, give him a bigger lower jaw too i thought it was great.

the poly density looks fine to me, i mean, does it even matter these days? especially if it's for fun? wink.gif

-kill
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin great. I'm wondering if you're going to fix the model of the rider's mouth, the jawline goes alot further back in the concept and perhaps some planes coming out for transparency mapped teeth?
  • Jinxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jinxter polycounter lvl 18
    I think that these models are begging to be normal-mapped...looking good...really captured the concept
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gonna try and get this one done fairly quikcly

[/ QUOTE ] hahahah... this thread was already at the bottom of page 4!!! Shows what I think fast is!

Slug creature texture is coming along... still have to do a final pass of shadows and highlights, add markings, add some reflections etc. etc. etc.

slug_wip1.jpg

Have been battling with my really shoddy UVmap for this one though so its taken a lot of tweaking to get it to this stage. Has anybody had any experience with UVHelp for MAX for relaxing UVs - or any other way to straighten up/ unwarp your UVs in MAX? I tried using the UVHelp plugin on this UV layout and the only thing I could get it to do was throw my verts across the screen in a seemingly random manner - anybody know what settings etc work best with it - I could REALLY do with something like this at the minute...and the forums for it are in German.

Back to the slog...
  • Idane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idane polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really digging the colors of the skin. It has a nice warm tone that is very appealing to my eyes. I especially lke the abdomen.

If your having trouble with the UV's I would suggest checking out Poops video tutorials @ http://www.poopinmymouth.com

I always find it best to mix between planar and cyndrical mapping.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH yeah thanks for the crits everybody - especially you KillingPeople - really helped me and pointed out things that I definately would have missed in my rush to get these finished - and consequently got the forms of these creatures loking much better. Much appreciated. grin.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    your concepts are fun! and your meshes are apt representations. I think your highlights and shadows could be crisper, maybe increase the difference between the highlight and shadow values.

Cool stuff wink.gif

Edit - crap typing errors
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i'll second that--fun concepts and they're looking like fun so far as the model versions. keep up the good work! smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    those are sweet! fix that seam!

smile.gif

the transition from yellow to blue on the back of the slug things body seems very abrupt, and unnatural. I dig the idea of a color shift, but i think you could make it more gradual. the purples on the face work great, really dig it.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff. these are the kind of models i like to make, because it's easier to make up an animal or monster, instead of model a real one, because you can make it anyway you want.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    This is great! really original concepts!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Those concepts are really beautiful. I'm glad you kept going with that style in the texture. Originally I thought the concepts were the 3d models and almost crapped my pants!
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Your creatures are so refreshing. I think you're textures the concept but I agree that it needs stronger shadows and highlights. Also that seem really needs some attention.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hoooooly hell that rocks. Can you post the flats? You made him look so nice and bubbly, really great job man.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks ace. if you're using the uvhelp, it doesn't seem to like mirrored uvs. so make sure you use it to make everything how you want it, and THEN make the uvs mirror. also, something that took me a bit to figure out, you have to run the uvhelp a bunch of times in some cases. throw a checker pattern on and you'll slowly see it come into line.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys for the support and a BIG thanks to Sectaurs for that UVHelp help laugh.gif... I'll try it out soon if I can get my computer working well again - at the moment browsing files in file explorer starts using 99% of my CPU and hangs the system - not sure what has caused this but I think a reformat could be in order frown.gif Fingers crossed it wont come to that.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh - well I finally got some time off two work on this little grusome twosome laugh.gif

The slug thing is nearly finsiehd - some polishing and maybe some more work on where the "head" part meets the body.

The other creature is getting there - not sure about the transition from the leg to the body yet but I'll keep working on it - also have to get some more colour intop the highlights and shadows in this little bugger. Had a MUCH nicer time on the texture with this one thanks to the wonders of UVHELP and Sectaurs' help with it smile.gif

cutesy_wip.jpg

Heh - 'tis actually a little cringeworthy looking at those IP shots and that sketch further up now :/ ... well at least it will keep me inspired to keep going and polish these two right up.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I love the ears of the standing one, awesome job on the shading!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great texture work, i would have gone with 3 eyes on each side of the slug looking guy so you dont get the odd shaped mirrored eye there in the center... Unless thats not supposed to be an eye then i would just change the color
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me alot of the Lilo and Stitch style. very cool.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very refreshing and absolutely immaculately done!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    :O :O! very nice work man! awesome texture work, especialy on the dude.

wow, great use of color too. rarely do i see color used this well smile.gif good stuff.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap this is sooo inspiring, makes me want to populate my shroom with creatures like these. I applaud your use of color, makes my work look flat by comparison.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    i hate maggots and worms... but i wouldnt mind hugging that!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Haha. I LOVE this style. Awesome work.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    i ENVY you...it looks EXACTLY like the concept, i can't work from concepts, just have to screw around until i get something i like.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heheh - ok - I think I'm finally finished with this one. I ended up adding some more polys into the slug's feeler things to get a nicer bend on them, but apart form that, the polycounts are the same.

A 512x512 each for the character s and a 256x256 for the axe.

fintex.jpg

And a little (badly) rigged scene I put together showing how it all fits together.

composite.jpg

I definately learned alot from this one and its been a fun ride... for the most part!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    They are absolutely adorable! poly106.gif

I love how you made the textures colorful and cartoony, but still very nicely shaded and detailed. Really awesome work! poly142.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's great!
    I really like the concept and your textures are a feast for the eye. The 2 characters/animals are great but I really love the texture on the axe.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    that is some superb texturing man. absolutely fantastic , very great style and design.

keeping my eye on you 0.o
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I like how rich the textures are more than anything.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    awsome. Bravo.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    They have a lilo and stitch quality to em. They look great
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cool axe!

great stuff man, the pink nose on the critter thing is great smile.gif

id hug 'em if i wasn't afraid it'd chop my leg off.