Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project work - Image heavy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
Just thought I'd post some pics of a project I'm working on. It's a mod based on Warhammer 40,000 for Half-Life 2, or perhaps Battlefield 2 as it seems more suited to my idea. I am sick of waiting for games to come out so I can start a mod though...

Anyway, the pics...

Guard1.jpg

Guard1Edge.jpg

Guard2.jpg

Lasgun.jpg

Chimera1.jpg

Chimera2.jpg

Ork1.jpg

Ork2.jpg

Ork3.jpg

Bike1.jpg

Bike2.jpg

Bike3.jpg

Nothing is really finalised so comments and critique is welcome.

Replies

• Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    I really like where you've taken the art direction on this. Most people who develop works based on the 40k universe work it heavily toward the original models and artwork and the end result has a feeling of rigidity to it. These models have a style all their own thats more real then the original yet at the same time still manages to keep an animated style about it.

I do wonder exactly how much of the feel of the 40k universe will you keep intack? Will humanity still have the feeling of a technological/religious dark age? Will the orks still be rowdy soccer hooligans?
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot Steakhouse, with this project I am trying to make everthing as realistic and believable as possible while hopefully still keeping the Warhammer style intact.

Therefore I will be toning down the techological/religious, doom and gloom vibes a little bit, because even though it sounds real cool in the books and game, alot of the time it doesn't really make much sense.

With the Orks I'm going for a more dark and brutal style warriors. Which is why I'm kinda unhappy with the model, I think he looks a bit cartoony, but hopefully the skin will fix that. The Orks will also be a bit smarter and less suicidal, basically try and make it believable that they could effectively wage war...
  • Rifter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rifter polycounter lvl 18
    I love the imperial guard, but like you, I don't like the orc that much. The ork looks a lot more like a big washed up football player that has emotional problems and a hunchback rather than a bloodthirsty monster that I'd be afraid of. Overall though I like it all, I'm a decent fan of 40k and look forward to seeing more of your stuff.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    can u only reply in this thread if you have a pic pf someone in ure av :O?

hehe, sweet stuff SyaPed - like the solider most looks nice n clean
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    CHAOS SPACE MARINES!!! where are they? I mean what kind of warhammer is it without CHAOS SPACE MARINES?????
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed: Aww thats too bad I rather like the ork you have. The religious aspects being toned down I can understand and it'll also explain your choices concerning the look and feel of the armor.

Oh and the orks arent as dumb as everyone paints them to be.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry mr_Rockstar, you'll have to get your Chaos Marine fix from MitGas smile.gif No Traitor marines here...Or even regular marines tongue.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUST HAVE CHAOS MARINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey do you guys have a site or something?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic work! I love the style.

- BoBo
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockstar - Just one guy, me and no website.

BoBo - Praise from BoBo, sweet!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I only played Warhammer classic, but the Orc definately has the right style for such a game. Great job!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    omg!!! the ork needs a muc bigger lower jaw (im looking at a crapload of miniatures in my bitz box right now) thats actually my only crit for now..

does your project have a team? or is it just you? and are you gonna be doing eldar? cos ive got a craving to make some of those wink.gif

quick edit, if you want the ork to look more brutal, then define his muscles... i dont think ive ever seen an ork without big assed arm muscles, or at least well defined ones.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His jaw was bigger before, but I kept making it smaller and smaller as it didn't look right...

Your right about the arms needing some definition, I thought it might be better to do it with normal maps though. I'm not too keen on trying normals maps again though, haven't had much fun with them in the past...
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No team just me. And sorry no Eldar just Imperial Guard and Orks.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh those poor, poor fighting men of the imperial guard. Someone cue up "Taps".
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how can you have wh40k without even having space marines? the game was built arround them. and the whole story of chaos revolves arround the fall of the eldar.. wh40k would not exist without space marines (since even the imperial guard have the faith of the emporer, whos purpose was to make the space marines to unite the univers wink.gif) and chaos are there to oppose them, but slaanesh was created during the fall....

and so, you need all the races :O
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha sorry man, what you see here is pretty much all that'll be in the mod. I'm limiting the scope of it so I have a chance of finishing it smile.gif
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You dont need all the races to make somehing Warhammer 40k. take a look at space hulk, just Terminator Armors and Gene Stealers. Or Gorkamorka, Mainly orks with a smattering of Digga Nobs. And lets not forget Necromunda, just humans and mutant offshoots of humanity.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small skinning update

GuardHeads.jpg

GuardHeads2.jpg
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good man, not bad at all. smile.gif keep at it